PS2 (SCPH-30004R) waits 1-2 minutes before spinning discs

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Someone gave me a PS2 console, it should read discs. But somehow it waits 1-2 minutes before a inserted disc starts spinning. And then it does make some clicking noises for another couple of minutes before it detects what disc it is.

But after the discs is detected, everything works fine, no read errors of skipping videos.

I cleaned the lens without any change. And this both happens to original and backup discs.

The console is modchipped by a professional shop back in 2005 with some Matrix clone chip (bootscreen has the Matrix logo + logo of the shop who installed it back then).

I tried with disabled modchip by holding the Start-button, but it doesn't change the disc reading behavior.

Because after detecting the disc it works fine, maybe it's not a bad laser? Can a old/defective modchip cause this?

This is what's inside after I took the mainboard out:
TGjl7Mel.jpg

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably the laser. Clicking is normally the laser on it's way out, it's been a long time but iirc it's the lens moving up and down struggling to focus. The disc won't spin unless the console can detect it, so clicking & long to time to spin is normally the laser having trouble picking up the disc.

Only other thing clicking can be is the laser slede getting stuck on the rails as it's trying to move back and forth.

The console is modchipped by a professional shop back in 2005 with some Matrix clone chip (bootscreen has the Matrix logo + logo of the shop who installed it back then).

Judging from the picture, that's not a clone. That's an original Matrix Infinity green dot (green dot was the last revision).

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh, then it's weird that it reads fine after detecting the disc.

So the modchip won't be defective as it's a good quality original? It has v1.82 software and when booting a game the logo has a extra logo saying "Triangle", from the shop installed the chip.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its not a clone Matrix, this is a genuine Matrix Infinity chip. I also recommend updating from v1.82 to v1.93 using the update discs.

Here's a good guide to read for troubleshooting: https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2797

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I read it via Archive.org, somehow ps2-home is blocked on my home IP and even most of the IP's my mobile phone connection uses.

Most functions look like the same as the clones (Modbo) including the hotkeys. And the logo seems to be customizable since v1.68 :O, so that's probably how the installer got it's "Traingle"-logo in it.

This delayed disc detecting issue isn't documented. It happens with all type of discs, PS1/PS2(DVD) originals/backups and audio CD's. After detection it plays fine. If it's a dead laser I think I must fix this first before thinking about firmware upgrades.
Post automatically merged:

Probably the laser. Clicking is normally the laser on it's way out, it's been a long time but iirc it's the lens moving up and down struggling to focus. The disc won't spin unless the console can detect it, so clicking & long to time to spin is normally the laser having trouble picking up the disc.

Only other thing clicking can be is the laser slede getting stuck on the rails as it's trying to move back and forth.
But is it really the laser itself?

I tried to swap it out with a laser from a working console and it's still the same, it spins a little and then waits for 1-2 minutes before trying and clicking. And then it takes antoher couple of minutes before the disc is recognized.

But, somehow, if I use Lenschanger to change the lens to KHS-400B (the lens itself is really a KHS-400C), then the discs will spin fast directly. CD's (PS1 original and copy, audio-CD) and DVD-ROM (PS2 original) are detected immediately at normal speed :O No single clicking noise. Only burned DVD+/-R cannot be read with the KHS-400B programming.

This is how it does with the original (KHS-400C) setting, the disc only move a little and it rest for 1-2 minutes before spinning:

This is after using Lenschanger to set KHS-400B, the DVD-ROM game is spinning immediately :

If I set it back to KHS-400C or restore the EEPROM backup, the delayed/slow detecting is back. But then it can read burned DVD+/-R.

Last edited by Fien,
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

alexfree

Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Everyone jumps to the laser dying. What did that poor laser diode ever do to anyone! I think it’s much more likely the drive needs some new lubrication if my experience with PS1s is anything relevant. Would love to put together a guide for PS2 CD drive refurbishment one day. Anyways re-lubrication is just as likely the issue as the laser diode itself burning out (which is almost never the issue for PS1s, even launch ones!).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?