Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChartTrack has confirmed that 166,000 PS3 consoles have been sold in the UK making it the fastest selling console at launch. There were 220,000 available. In the same time the Wii sold 105,000 and 360 sold 70,000 but apparently they sold out. However the PSP hold the record for games system as that sold 185,000 portables.

Sony Australia have also announced that 20,000 PS3 consoles have been sold since Friday, in the same amount of time 30,421 Xbox 360 consoles have sold and 32,901 Wiis were sold.

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not a big suprise from what I saw on Saturday when I went shopping (looking for something else). Lots of ps3 signs saying "still avaliable" and even the occasional pushy sales guy.

A lot of Aussies think that the ps3 price is just too high and have decided to wait for the games to come out (resistance doesn't do it for me) and the price to drop.

Another point is that the ps3 had no "christmas presence". The 360 in Australia had "preorder" packs (you got a face plate and controller!) at christmas time, and the Wii was on the shelf just before Christmas. I think thats another reason for the slowish sales.

wovva

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, i went in about 10 shops over the weekend, and they had absolutely loads of PS3s available. And you still couldn't buy a Wii!

The 'value' pack is a joke. £520 with 2 crap games - you would literally have to be insane to pay that.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe this means that Sony finally used the UK delay to wise effect to make the consoles to avoid stock problems.... or maybe they're just selling the unsold US/JPN PS3s with PAL specs. That said, how many DS got sold at launch anyways?

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is that Europeans and especially those in the UK are crazy over the PlayStation brand. It doesn't matter whether its a crap on a stick or a give all end all aura, the brand will sell. By that power alone, will cause the PlayStation 3 to continue to sell well in Europe no doubt about it. Its a system that's backed by a large brand...Sony...that itself will keep it selling for a very long time...bravo sony...bravo.

sigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ohmy.gif
520 POUNDS?!?!?!!? (sorry, in India and this keyboard doesn't have a pound sign)

Is this really true!?!? I'm a little out of it, but could someone tell me the current prices of the Wii and 360 in UK?

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
£180 - Wii with Wii sports

£280 - Premium Xbox 360. £280 is the "basic" retail price for the premium but most places will bundled a game or two in for that price.

£425 - 60 GB PS3 model.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is that Europeans and especially those in the UK are crazy over the PlayStation brand. It doesn't matter whether its a crap on a stick or a give all end all aura, the brand will sell. By that power alone, will cause the PlayStation 3 to continue to sell well in Europe no doubt about it. Its a system that's backed by a large brand...Sony...that itself will keep it selling for a very long time...bravo sony...bravo.
The Playstation brand is waning over here, I know a lot of people who were Sony zealots who have switched to either Wii or 360, this is mostly due to impatience, the price and games not being all that different to PS2. I also feel that people seem to prefer to spend their money on hand held gaming, there seems to be more PSP/DS owners than 360 and I dont see PS3 or Wii over taking them.

A year ago I reckon all 220,000 consoles would've sold out.

Of course this is all early days, N64 was very successful on launch.

sigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Little.

The price differences are phenomenal. The Wii and 360 prices seem fine, but the PS3 price (half a grand!) just sounds way too much! For me to purchase something at that price, it would really need an incredibly appealing game for me. I remember buying my PS1 for Xenogears and Japanese version of Rival Schools; then the PS2 for ICO (actually I bought less games for this console).

I'll see what comes out for it but i'll definitely pick up a Wii....

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
The current prices are:

Nintendo Wii Console: 179.99 GB POUNDS
1x Nunchuk, 1x WiiMote, 1x Free Game

Nintendo Wii Normal Game Price: 39.99 GB POUNDS

XBox 360 Core Console: 199.99 GB POUNDS
1x WIRED Controller...

XBox 360 Premium Console: 279.99 GB POUNDS
1x Wireless Controller, 20GB Hard Drive

Xbox Normal Game Price: 49.99 GB POUNDS

Sony Playstation 3 Console (60GB): 424.99 GB POUNDS
1x Controller...

Sony Playstation 3 Normal Game Price: 49.99 GB POUNDS

Im in London and i knew that the Playstation 3 would do well here and that the general British game fans would continue to avoid Nintendo, thinking of it as a kids machine (how little the british know!) and ignore the 360 due to it not being made by Sony and wait and wait and finally fork out almost double because its a Sony product. Ive never been a fan of and never will be of Sony machines, the original PS1 had rushed games without any of the magic the N64 offered, then the PS2 again did nothing and had no games which caught my imagination. I loved the Gamecube and it failed in England, nothing to do with games, there were plenty of quality titles, its the gamers here do not appreciate something like the Japanese do. They overlook things which make Nintendo games special and jump to get the next crappy PS2 game from Blockbusters to play for 20mins and get another.

greyhound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i played one about a week ago, motorstorm or something and i was very disappointed. I may wait until GTA4 comes out before i buy one but i think that's out on the 360 too choices....
unsure.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With so many ps3s still being on the shelf I thought they weren't selling. Sony must have made a load for a change instead of holding back stock. Its not just £425 for the console as you need the extras as well, like another controller, a game or two and so on. You'd be lucky to get change from £550. The UKers must have more money then sense when you can get a good PC for that price.

cartman100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
doesnt matter it sold 160,000+ on launch day in the UK , people who bought on launch day either were hoping to sell on for a profit on ebay (that would have backfired, my mate bought 5 doh!! ) or just hardcore Sony fans

look at this weeks sales , there will be a massive drop . the price of the PS3 is way out of reach of the average family on a budget (£450+ for a console with 1 game is a joke) , it may well be good value when you compare it to a stand alone blue ray disk player but to be honest how many kids are really fussed about blue ray or the 360 HD-DVD for that matter , a console is for playing games on , to reach the mass market it is going to have to drop to the price of the 360 which i cannot see it doing as Sony are apparently losing $200+ per machine as it is

Sony have messed up big time with the PS3 , 12 months too late it is , nearly all the Sony PS3 exclusive titles are now on 360 due to the fact that the software companies cannot make a profit on PS3 sales alone. Microsoft have tons of top name exclusives coming this year Halo3 , Forza 2 , Fable 2 , Mass Effect , Gotham 4 to name a few , Sony will be left with Gran Turismo.

i am not anti Sony , i have a 360 and a Wii and i bought the PS3 on the US launch date, i have since sold the PS3 due to the fact that the games on the PS3 in general were'nt anywhere near the quality of the 360 counterparts , major slowdowns in Fight Night 3 , and blurry textures in several games Call of Duty 3 for example, and the PS3 online is a complete joke

i will stick with the Wii and the 360 , one thing is for certain there will not be a PS4, from now on stick to making TV's and top quality Audio and Video equipment

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah and for British its all about graphics, so getting a PC would make more sense, the PS3 cant touch a PC games graphics!

No matter what people say, the massive step Nintendo took to make games more fun to play has seriously paid off, they all laughed when they saw that remote, thinking it would be a gimmick, but its still only 3 months old and a big game like the Godfather comes out of the blue, gets the highest score out of all previous versions and even the new PS3 one and the controls have been used so well, to actually punch people to extort money and to point and shoot is way better than just pressing and button or the use a control stick to aim and shoot... doing it for real just feels better. Even Tiger woods, i loved the previous versions and then the wii one makes it so much more fun to actually take the swing. Im looking forward to the First wii Fifia game, EA have done very well so far, even SSX Blur was good too!

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and for British its all about graphics, so getting a PC would make more sense, the PS3 cant touch a PC games graphics!

No matter what people say, the massive step Nintendo took to make games more fun to play has seriously paid off, they all laughed when they saw that remote, thinking it would be a gimmick, but its still only 3 months old and a big game like the Godfather comes out of the blue, gets the highest score out of all previous versions and even the new PS3 one and the controls have been used so well, to actually punch people to extort money and to point and shoot is way better than just pressing and button or the use a control stick to aim and shoot... doing it for real just feels better. Even Tiger woods, i loved the previous versions and then the wii one makes it so much more fun to actually take the swing. Im looking forward to the First wii Fifia game, EA have done very well so far, even SSX Blur was good too!
In defence of us Brits, we are not all into graphics its just the smelly chavs that saved their benefit money/sold dope for it.

And if you don't know what a chav is think of the people who appear on shows like Jerry Springer or just goto chavscum.com

Another thing is apparently there's more interest in the Wii than at launch, I wonder if Nintendo suddenly got 200 thousand Wii's on our shelves and did a ad campaign a month before if they would sell more than PS3.

And for anyone who is moaning at the PS3 price, it could be more, arent $ony losing £300 on each console or something?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In defence of us Brits, we are not all into graphics its just the smelly chavs that saved their benefit money/sold dope for it.

Not really - everywhere was full of little "henrys"/middle class shits at the weekend getting mummy and daddy to buy them a ps3.

Also, most brits consider it to be merkins who are obsessed with graphics (hence british gaming sites not usually being full of 12yr olds jabbering on about the graphics on "game x", wheras the americancentric sites (ign, gamefaqs etc) are full of graphic whores.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We can shoot racoon, possums, skunks, cayottes tho
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I can shoot guys :shy::blush::evil:
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not from more than 2 feet tho
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You confuse shooting for milking
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, hasn't shot anything since 1938
    +2
    I think that was "The great depression" time
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It like one of those fake guns, that shoot, then a flag comes out and says, "splash"
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah a world War wasn't going on or anything
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Americans lied about camps for propaganda
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, where is your gun at?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought he already showed you his gun
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." - Full Metal Jacket
    +1
    We actually said that in Boot Camp, waaay before the movie :mellow:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta raid0 these m.2s yay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn Wal-Mart has 42" 4k TVs for only $150
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i bet it will not fit inside your bedroom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea here in North Korea, we are only allowed 1 19" tv per household. And the only channel we get is, MLT (Missile Launch Today)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, doesn't fit in his bedroom he's American
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hate ordering stuff online if I can go buy it somewhere close to me, and everywhere anymore will give you a discount only if you order it online, bs. Should be a discount if I go pick it up, not order online.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I hate ordering stuff online if I can go buy it somewhere close to me, and everywhere anymore...