PS3 emulator RPCS3 now available on Mac

Popular PS3 emulator RPCS3 has released a build for macOS. In a new trailer, the RPCS3 team shows off several popular PS3 titles running on various Macs, with some tips for achieving optimal performance thrown in. Some of the performances are impressive as well, such as the M1 Max running Persona 5 1440p while maintaining 50-60 frames per second.

While RPCS3 had been available for Mac prior to 2016, it had to be abandoned due to Apple refusing to support OpenGL. Now, however, it appears to be running again, although not as well as its Windows or Linux counterparts. The team acknowledges that macOS will run slower, and that there will also be several Mac-specific issues that need to be worked out. The compatibility list can also not necessarily be applied to the macOS build, but games that are playable on Windows can safely be assumed to run reasonably well on Mac. Finally, some of the known issues singled out by the team include the lack of support for Nvidia GPUs and the fact that only PlayStation controllers work right now.

If you'd like to know more about the macOS build of RPCS3, you can get the full details in the video above.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see I upset alot of people with my apple bashing. i can go back to amiga, commodore 64 and other os and look at how apple was a magnificent os in its OS classic days. but OSX is complete garbage and deserves the bashing it gets. I have MAC Pros, colors and an assortment of mac products. I try all systems and make snide comments about the inferiority I personally experience having had to provide technical support for multiple operating systems over the years. once a mac user is trained how to copy files onto there ipod and how to get pictures off there iphone they dont complain because they just become accustomed to following garbage processes that other devices and OS don't require them to do.

to not digress from the topic having MAC support for a emulator like RPSC3 is great but that still doesnt absolve the crappy OS it is being played under. and with RPSC3 it would be good to see more fixes and improvement on the Windows systems before complicating development by have to support multiple OS in future implementation changes. if RPSC3 was a little more evolved and further along it would be a little easier to justify wasting time supporting a garbage OS like OSX.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm well aware.

The point is, PS3 and PS4 are capable of playing PS2 games, not all, but a lot and still they didn't offer it to their paid customers. Meanwhile, users with CFW/HEN PS3s and PS4s can play PS2 titles on it.

It looks as though Sony ignored it completely and carelessly.

PS2 games even converted without any patches or whatever, they tend to look like a HD Remaster. I genuinely loved playing Burnout Revenge and it felt like the HD version I had wanted. Plus, it looks way better than the blurry-effect on the Xbox 360 version.
While the PS4 can play PS2 games. It’s not always up to Sony to allow it. Any game that Sony doesn’t own the rights to they have to get permission from the game owner to allow it on PS4.

There were a number of games that Microsoft wanted to add to the backwards compatibility library for Xbox One / Xbox Series but the companies that owned the rights said no so Microsoft had to comply.

On the launch PS3’s that had the PS2 chip inside, any company that owned the rights to any of the working PS2 games and PS1 for that matter could easily tell Sony they don’t want their games to be allowed to run on the PS3 and Sony would have to comply and block those games through a system update.

There is a lot more to having backwards compatibility than the console maker adding the feature. There are a whole load of legal hurdles too.

Grand Theft Auto IV a while back received a major update that removed a bunch of the radio tracks as Rock Star no longer had permission to use them.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite my feelings towards Apple as a company and Apple products, I do think it's great to have software compatible with it. There's never really a reason not to be compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux outside of sales (tons of Linux users pay for software too, but they're typically more tech savvy so why would they use Photoshop when GIMP does what they want?).

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Say all you want,apple main audience are sheeps,noobs and computer challenged people,they themselves admit it by saying vague statements like noob friendly,new comers etc...
Let me clear one thing ,most of us here in GBAtemp are tech savvy people,computers experts or geeks .
So the average Joe is not really GBAtemp main audience.with that said, any product that doesn't allow much freedom or restrictive is a no no.
Also I can tell you from experience at least in Africa ( as I traveled around alot these past years) iOS products are only bought by tech illeterate,fashion victims and showoffs ( my wife included).in my country 99.9999999% of girls have an iPhone and became a wedding gift almost by law.
The girls who have Samsung are the poor ones.
It might be different in Europe and USA but the point remains,apple almost entire business is marketed toward what we call ''iSheeps'' aka Apple fags.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Say all you want,apple main audience are sheeps,noobs and computer challenged people,they themselves admit it by saying vague statements like noob friendly,new comers etc...
Let me clear one thing ,most of us here in GBAtemp are tech savvy people,computers experts or geeks .
So the average Joe is not really GBAtemp main audience.with that said, any product that doesn't allow much freedom or restrictive is a no no.
Also I can tell you from experience at least in Africa ( as I traveled around alot these past years) iOS products are only bought by tech illeterate,fashion victims and showoffs ( my wife included).in my country 99.9999999% of girls have an iPhone and became a wedding gift almost by law.
It might be different in Europe and USA but the point remains,apple almost entire business is marketed toward what we call ''iSheeps'' aka Apple fags.
That's every company.
A company that wants to make profit will always want to be popular in the mass market and to be seen as something worth to invest money in with as little barriers as possible.

I believe the way you say it is short-sighted, naive and pretty vulgar. But you could also call people Teslasheeps, Sonysheeps, Nintendosheeps, Googlesheeps etc I guess. Every company tries to create a public image and a following and it tries to make profit out of it.

Considering all customers make uninformed purchases, anyway, is preposterous. And considering that only Apple customers do uninformed purchases is pure biased naivety.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
That's every company.
A company that wants to make profit will always want to be popular in the mass market and to be seen as something worth to invest money in with as little barriers as possible.

I believe the way you say it is short-sighted, naive and pretty vulgar. But you could also call people Teslasheeps, Sonysheeps, Nintendosheeps, Googlesheeps etc I guess. Every company tries to create a public image and a following and it tries to make profit out of it.

Considering all customers make uninformed purchases, anyway, is preposterous. And considering that only Apple customers do uninformed purchases is pure biased naivety.
I admit I was a little vulgar,not naive,but vulgar.I apologize for anyone offended.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Not surprised this thread turned into a mac vs windows debate... in my opinion I prefer windows for it's less restrictive but simple os, I do admit that using a mac is very comfortable.
With a mac everything just works, yes it's not as good with gaming, yes some apps don't work as well, but every time I power my mac on I know I won't have any random crashes or annoying errors, I know everything will work.

Rpcs3 with a late 2013 retina mac book pro on the other hand... not so much:
1650193518389.png

Last edited by Vila_,

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, you dropped the ball on the GBATemp part. Who gives you the damn right to say "There are only tech savvy people and geeks on GBATemp?" This place is full of less knowledgeble users too, just like me. But aside from that, I think we can all agree on the fact that the main Apple audience is artists and musicians (Vtubers as well, since Iphones have great motion tracking and all that). That doesn't mean they're sheeps/noobs/whatever you want to call them. Seeing Apple products everywhere you go doesn't automatically mean they're shite. Their computers and phones have tons of hidden power, they're just limited by the closed environment and Apple's stance on gaming. I don't own any of their products, so you can't say I'm biased either. It just hurts to see someone point their finger at whatever comes to mind because they don't know jack squat about it

Reactions: bobbytomorow

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see I upset alot of people with my apple bashing. i can go back to amiga, commodore 64 and other os and look at how apple was a magnificent os in its OS classic days. but OSX is complete garbage and deserves the bashing it gets. I have MAC Pros, colors and an assortment of mac products. I try all systems and make snide comments about the inferiority I personally experience having had to provide technical support for multiple operating systems over the years. once a mac user is trained how to copy files onto there ipod and how to get pictures off there iphone they dont complain because they just become accustomed to following garbage processes that other devices and OS don't require them to do.

to not digress from the topic having MAC support for a emulator like RPSC3 is great but that still doesnt absolve the crappy OS it is being played under. and with RPSC3 it would be good to see more fixes and improvement on the Windows systems before complicating development by have to support multiple OS in future implementation changes. if RPSC3 was a little more evolved and further along it would be a little easier to justify wasting time supporting a garbage OS like OSX.
Eh, Classic MacOS was fine to a point, at some point Apple engineers were struggling to deal with the limits of their OS as multitasking was a concept that was gaining steam rapidly and the OS kinda shit itself when doing anything in that regard. Its not like they did not try to resolve this in house but eventually it became an endless cycle of development hell, feature creep and trying to get ahead of the competition with the core system enhancements never really surfacing as it was just buried under a mountain of features that were being added but never completed to the point of stability. I believe it was called the Copland OS project and it was simply abandoned as Apple executives instead just figure to buy out a company and use their OS as the base for the future of Apple's operating environment. Such became the case with NeXT and how Steve Jobs came back to the company to do what he wanted to.

As for OSX, its not at all perfect but I just do not like it on a design perspective. Consider it heresy but I never liked any of Jony Ive's OS design language. Skeuomorphism always looks cheep and cheesy to me as an operating system should be about maximizing potential on your screen and not wasting space to create silly interfaces. I feel the best example of what OSX could have been like before the era of Ive was best shown off in Rhapsody builds and ultimately in OSX Server 1.0 which kept the pre-Skeuomorphic design.

As for this whole thing, I do not see the issue of the application being ported to other platforms, as long as development continues and its open source, anyone can make their own improvements and make a release themselves as well. That is how things should be in the tech world. Eventually some crazy bastard will get it working on appliances and start streaming a lets play of dark souls on their smart fridge. That is the way things should be.

soup1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you do know there are people who get macs are creative (video editing with final cut, photoshop and all) or are programmers. there are so many now that macos includes python by default. also girls who own samsung are the poor ones? you got some built up anger or what and whoever calls themselves geeky or savvy are probably the bottom rung of gbatemp but are ok with it because at least theyre in the cool scret club. iSheep is barely a term used anymore considering there are hundreds of tech reviewers who get the privilege of trying many phones and still choose iphone because it gets the job done well no questions asked almost all the time. your outlook is just wrong man im not even going to go into you calling people "fags"

Reactions: bobbytomorow

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone uses what helps them get the job done. I never put down people that use Windows or Android. This thread has turned into a lot of hate speech. Enough.

I don't suppose we can get back on topic? If people can't get back on topic this thread should be closed.

soup1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone uses what helps them get the job done. I never put down people that use Windows or Android. This thread has turned into a lot of hate speech. Enough.

I don't suppose we can get back on topic? If people can't get back on topic this thread should be closed.
you're right, it should just be closed

valegory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple is for the lesser intelligent people imo.
Windows is the middle ground.
Linux is for the intelligent and control oriented.
I'm a programmer that also produces music, and MacOS is the only OS that works for that workload. I need a Unix backend for my programming workflow, so that rules Windows out, and I need reliable software support from audio plugin manufacturers, so that rules Linux out (yes, I know there's workarounds but when playing a show I don't have time to deal with that).

To say "macos is for the less intelligent" feels incredibly gatekeepy. Creating something that is intuitive to use for non-power users isn't a bad thing, and doesn't discredit the usefulness of the OS for power users. Ultimately an OS needs to support your workload/workflow and get out of the way. MacOS just happens to be able to do that for the general consumers/creators, while also being built on a backend that allows developers who prefer a unix environment to work. Appealing to a general audience doesn't make something "for the less intelligent", it just means non tech savvy users can use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Uremums a hottake