Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Installing Other OS's

Not only that, but the PS3 is to be an Open Platform

Which means anyone is free to create and run any third party software on the PS3. (Emulators anyone?)

On top of that, any Power-PC compatible OS (Suse, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora and more) can be installed on the PS3's hard drive. That means any Linux software can be used on the PS3, and we all know that Linux's emu scene is nothing short of huge.

Personally this is more than I hoped for from the PS3 Linux scene, and I'm sure it will be fantastic news for homebrew developers.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Now I am astonished. Since when Sony has a though left for the homebrew not mentioning linux? If this is true this is for sure a good news for all.
biggrin.gif

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
No hardware limitations? Impressive indeed.
It seems they really want to compete with the PC. How funny would it be to boot windows on it? (even though it would already be possible through VMWare... but natively? Heh!)

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't tell if they're wanting to encourage homebrew or not after the whole PSP thing. But if someone develops a media centre for it that rivals the XBMC then I'm getting one.

GexX2

Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't tell if they're wanting to encourage homebrew or not after the whole PSP thing. But if someone develops a media centre for it that rivals the XBMC then I'm getting one.

GeeXboX - (It actually isn't derived from Xbox btw :\)

QUOTEThe question you may wonder is probably : "Dude, what exactly is this GeeXboX project I've heard so much about ?" ;-)
Well, you're at the right place !

Ok, we'll try to make it simple. The GeeXboX is no more than an awesome standalone media player. Why such a name ? Well, its main purpose is to play DivX movies and, as everybody usually call this kind of projects DivX boxes, we'll just prepended a "GeeX", cause that's for the geeks you all are ;-)

So, GeeXboX is a full operating system, running under Linux and based on the excellent MPlayer. No need for a hard drive, you just have to put the GeeXboX bootable CD into the CD-Drive of any Pentium-class or Apple Macintosh computer to boot it. Moreover, GeeXboX is free software, created as open-source software. This means that everyone can modify it and build his own release of the GeeXboX.

You may wonder why you should have to boot another operating system to play your media files, but just think about the Mini-ITX platforms like VIA Epia/Eden or Shuttle barebones. It's now affordable to bring DivX to your home cinema, plugging this kind of computer directly to your TV !!

At the time of the first development releases (Dec. 2002), it was only capable of playing DivX movies, but now, nearly every kind of media file can be played with GeeXboX, with the OS supporting :

* MPEG 1/2 movies (MPG files, VCDs, DVDs ...)
* MPEG 4 movies (DivX, XviD, H.264 ...)
* RealMedia and Windows Media movies.
* OggMedia streams
* Matroska streams
* Audio streams like : MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, WAV (AudioCD), AC3, DTS, MusePack (MPC), FLAC ...
* Network streams : WebRadio and WebTV through SHOUTcast.
* Watching analog TV and digital DVB
* Playing analog Radio streams.
* Playing files from your local network (LAN) through remote NFS, Samba (i.e. Windows) or UPnP shares.

MythTV

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh lawd, I was reading that link and was thinking of the name Gee X then I realised it's Geeks. How long will it be before it gets ported to the PS3.

GexX2

Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure the updates cover OS-X :\ They just cover Linux PPC builds, but heres hoping. I'd like to try OS-X one day.
Ya, but the update that enables this is Linux only. There would have to be another update, unless Sony decides to tell everyone that they support OS-X out of the box.

GexX2

Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i wonder if it will alow easy pirating
I highly doubt it. Hard drive space on 2.5" Drives isn't exactly big enough to store many games, seeing as Blu-Ray discs are huge. Resistance uses 16gbs. It would take alot of money to get enough hard drive space to store as many games as you'd like. But then again, there is the option of turning a 500gb 3.5" into an external drive, or even buying a 500gb external drive.. It would probably make for easy pirating if storage wasn't an issue.

GexX2

Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this will spur some nice things for linux in general.
Thats what I hope will happen. I hope it make Linux more mainstream and user-aware, so the open-source development isn't just handled by a few select programmers, but by the general public. I also hope it will get game companies to focus on Linux as more than just a niche platform, and get more games to come our way.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS3 is becoming extremely tempting despite how Nintendo fanboy I am. The only problem is, is that these temptations is what caused me to buy the PSP which was the worst waste of money in my entire life.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS3 is becoming extremely tempting despite how Nintendo fanboy I am. The only problem is, is that these temptations is what caused me to buy the PSP which was the worst waste of money in my entire life.

Finally, one that admits it.

(just kidding, you guys.) *dodges torches*

asher

^ Liar
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i doubt that iso loader will be possible soon... and even if it is... with a 60 gb hdd its a no go.
i would love to have a XBMC and emulators.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Well, if you think about it, it *is* supposed to be a good piece of kit. Thing is, I already have a PC... And I don't forget the many reasons for boycotting Sony.

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love cross-platform, because Its available to just about everyone, this is probably the best thing I've ever heard from Sony in my entire life! Yellow Dog Linux works quite well on my PowerPC G5, soon enough my next PC will be the PS3 as its fairly cheap for the processing power it offers. It would be a very stable file server as well
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: