Hacking Ps4 4.55, where to begin for playing backups?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thanks. I had already upgraded to a 2TB drive. it's just a normal hdd though. I need to dump several games.

where is the app.db and appcont.db located? I saw that somewhere, but I forgot where. I want to back those up in case the database gets corrupted. I backed up the app.db and appmeta on my vita for that very reason. ;)

Theyre covered in pro tips of the guide bruh :)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/aio-ps4-exploit-guide.497858

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the DB mod yes, and I believe 8TB is the max you could use for that too :)

is that similar to using ur0 on the vita since games are supposed to install to ux0? which port on the system is 0 or 1? I take it that each port is labeled? the ps3 does this, but I don't think the wii u does.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is that similar to using ur0 on the vita since games are supposed to install to ux0? which port on the system is 0 or 1? I take it that each port is labeled? the ps3 does this, but I don't think the wii u does.

Kind of, yeah, you tell the games to look at usb as opposed to hdd. Then move the games to that location on hdd.

Simple redirection.

I will simplify the steps and add that to the guide when i get time :)

Last edited by KiiWii,

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of, yeah, you tell the games to look at usb as opposed to hdd. Then move the games to that location on hdd.

Simple redirection.

In your Pro Tip you mention that the games can only be stored on an external, but in this thread you are now stating that games CAN be run from an external drive (with the DB mod). Is the latter true or am I misinterpreting your reply to magico29? Thanks!

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
whats DB nod means?
i read you cant play backups from external yet
thank you in advance baby

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps4-4-05-database-mod-to-run-installed-fake-pkgs-on-usb-or-bd.3912/

Database modification.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In your Pro Tip you mention that the games can only be stored on an external, but in this thread you are now stating that games CAN be run from an external drive (with the DB mod). Is the latter true or am I misinterpreting your reply to magico29? Thanks!

You cannot use official method of extended storage to run games.

You can use database mod to run them though.

As a work around.

I havent added that to the guide yet. That and a lot more are on my todo list for monday... hopefully.

Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: Mo Poge

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps4-4-05-database-mod-to-run-installed-fake-pkgs-on-usb-or-bd.3912/

Database modification.

You cannot use official method of extended storage to run games.

You can use database mod to run them though.

As a work around
also read u cant play from external hdd if you dont update to 4.55
but i dont think so will be any problem cause hen works on 4.55
but i dont want to go up to there now

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
also read u cant play from external hdd if you dont update to 4.55
but i dont think so will be any problem cause hen works on 4.55
but i dont want to go up to there now

Again its an odd one: in HEN games cant be read from external unless you ise the DB mod.

Fake signed games wont load from extended storage (not exfat) usb.

Have to install to internal, FTP folders to usb, rename, and mod db to look at exfat usb rather than internal hdd.

Last edited by KiiWii,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read your pro tips. I think I have all the information I need to perform the exploit and to backup everything. oh, one more question that I didn't see the answer to, but where are saves located? aside from that, I just need to get my new laptop back from being repaired to run the exploit. I need to copy the content off of one of my flash drives to my computer in order to format it as exfat. I'm afraid of the computer crashing and not being able to transfer the content back if I do it with this pc. my computer crashes every few days and it's becoming more and more difficult to get it up and running again which is why I need my new laptop which also seems to be a pos. lol

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks. I figured it would be in an obvious location (i.e. have saved data in the folder name) considering the ps vita does, and Mark Cerny was the lead engineer for both machines. ;)

@KiiWii , I forgot to ask, but does the internal hdd mount in its entirety? I know there are like 15 partitions on it based on when I formatted my original drive. I'm just wondering if there's confusion as to which partition I should be looking in for user data. thanks.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thanks. I figured it would be in an obvious location (i.e. have saved data in the folder name) considering the ps vita does, and Mark Cerny was the lead engineer for both machines. ;)

@KiiWii , I forgot to ask, but does the internal hdd mount in its entirety? I know there are like 15 partitions on it based on when I formatted my original drive. I'm just wondering if there's confusion as to which partition I should be looking in for user data. thanks.

Not that I am aware of, it just mounts the iseful stuff.

15 partitions?!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, it was something like that. I think the list is on psdevwiki. I didn't think it was that many, but it was several when I formatted the drive. there were clumps of data in unallocated space several times on the hdd, so I assume each was a partition.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@KiiWii

Just wanted to drop a line to thank you on your continuous support. Your points are clear and concise, and your guide covers everything I have in mind. I hope you keep it up. The scene could use helpful people like yourself :)

Thank you so much for the kind words, just trying to do my bit.

Havent really been active in over 5 years, used to be very active on a certain PS3 site and doing minor developing and beta testing.

Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: Madridi

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again its an odd one: in HEN games cant be read from external unless you ise the DB mod.

Have to install to internal, FTP folders to usb, rename, and mod db to look at exfat usb rather than internal hdd.

So I read through the entire DB Mod thread over at Hax and the conclusion was that the method doesn't really work. I wasn't sure if it didn't work at all or if you need to also have a (full) copy of the game that you're trying to run from your external also saved on your internal which defeats the purpose of having an external drive IMHO.

Did you come across some new developments to this DB mod that makes it work (better)?

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps4-...d-fake-pkgs-on-usb-or-bd.3912/page-7#comments

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This was my thinking, few £ more.

I have a 2TB that I use just for updates and a couple of PKG files, ironically it was a Xbox gamebox or something expansion drive.

So I read through the entire DB Mod thread over at Hax and the conclusion was that the method doesn't really work. I wasn't sure if it didn't work at all or if you need to also have a (full) copy of the game that you're trying to run from your external also saved on your internal which defeats the purpose of having an external drive IMHO.

Did you come across some new developments to this DB mod that makes it work (better)?

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps4-...d-fake-pkgs-on-usb-or-bd.3912/page-7#comments

It does work, you install game to internal, ftp to external, rename folder to game ID, edit db to look at usb... its a ballache but yeh... no need for copy in internal too.

I will write it up Monday and add to the guide.

Personally I just delete games I dont want to play now, and have a A-M folder and a L-Z folder for organized (ocd organised) alpha-alphabetised games.

Last edited by KiiWii,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Oh so not long then. Hope it goes well. :)