PS4 emulator GPCS4 gets new v0.1.0 update

gpcs4.png

After more than 2 years, GPCS4, the PS4 emulator from developer Inori, has received a new update. This v0.1.0 release introduces a virtual CPU, as well as a major refactory for the graphics part. However, the release also mentions that "everything restart from the very begin"; and appears to indicate more work needs to be done but this new release might indicate that we could come across more frequent progress updates.

As it stands GPCS4 is still very much experimental and at a very early stage, with the only playable commercial game being We Are Doomed. But even that has no optimizations, leading to poor fps performance:

The developer also previously shared footage of GPCS4 running Nier:Automata which, as you can see below, is not in a playable state:

nier_logo.gif

Nevertheless, GPCS4 could prove an interesting project to keep an eye on and Inori has also shared a planned roadmap on the project's GitHub page. You can also head there to find more details about GPCS4 or even try it out. For the latter, according to the GitHub page, you'll need "a CPU supporting AVX instruction set as well as a graphics card supporting Vulkan 1.3".

:arrow: SOURCE

MattyKun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spine, Orbital and now GPCS4, I welcome anyone willing to tackle the next generation of emulation and game preservation.

I look forward to seeing where this goes in the future and hopefully it turns out to be a fruitful endeavor.

Reactions: raxadian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.