PS4 exclusive Dreams gets free demo for players to explore the game's capabilities

TugHS1F.png

With so many games releasing and being delayed all throughout 2020, sometimes it's nice to take a look back on titles from earlier in the year that you might have missed. That coupled with being able to experience so many games from your backlog during quarantine means it might just be the perfect time to check out Little Big Planet developer Media Molecule's Dreams, which released back in February. The game, which focuses on players being able to create and experience all sorts of worlds, now has a free demo. The trial version is limited, only letting you see a handful of selected levels made by other players alongside a short version of the dev's own world, meant to showcase the extent of what players can create in Dreams. If you're interested, the demo is now live on the PlayStation Store.

:arrow: Source

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly if this game is fully exploited it will make Mario Maker look like a joke (sorry Nintendo guys)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are some limitation, and only with time users will be able to master that.
- Memory: you are limited to the available memory allowed for your "scene" (a Dream can have any number of linked scenes). they are represented with 3 thermometers (graphical, logic and audio). Graphical memory is the hardest to work with and keep low if you try to make a beautiful scene, full of details and different elements.
- flecks : the game engine (BubbleBath) is not based on polygons, but on voxel and procedurally generated elements from coordinates. It can't really use GPU acceleration to process billions of poly per seconds. On the other side a similar scene takes a lot less size (in Mb) than poly, few Kb to save on the console, but lot of memory to display in real time.
- no texture : The game doesn't use poly surface and can't apply externally loaded textures. everything is code and value, all the textures are paint value (color, position, etc.). I hoped for a better texture generator (like DarkTree) but it's currently very basic with paint and brushes you have to apply yourself. There is no 3D procedurally generated texture (Yet?)
- lack of shaders : the game has a general shader choice to apply to the camera (cartoon, pixels, black and white, etc.) but currently no specific shader to apply to areas or objects (water reflection for example)
- Transparency : There's no model's transparency, reflection, refaction, raytracing, etc. There is actually a simple "texture reflection". only "flat" and volume-less element can have transparency, like "fleck paint", and the "text gadget" has a transparency value, it's a simple single layered square, not a 3D models.

But I feel lot of games in dreams are looking like PSX games, with early 3D and developers going into it for the first time made lot of bad games, with try and error.
but it was new, everyone had the same technology and tools and tried to make things the best they could and improved themselves with time.
it was the "first step" in the 3D poly world.
I think it could improve with time with new consoles, if the GPU or other CPU are made to work better with voxel.

I (and lot of people) wonder how the game would work on PS5.
if the PS5 will have more memory for thermometers
if the PS5 will be bundled from release day with Dreams to increase the user base and make the game even more popular
If created games could be individually sold on PSN (game engine bundled with each) where user and dev and sony could earn money on it.
Some created games are sometime already better than random indie sold on PSN!

But developers never answer these questions about PS5.
I can only see that if the game is getting popular, that engine and new games could be made to be some kind of new norms, after polygons we could have voxels games engine becoming a norm in games.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: depaul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks Cyan I learned a lot of information from your post! I always heard the word 'voxel' but until today I understand what it means (volumetric pixel, voxel vs polygons,...etc).

So indeed creating a level is not as simple as 2D. I hope this game will become the Sony 3D level maker.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does this demo even exist. All it has it a very brief intro and the ability to play, what, 3 dreams total? They should have at least let us play around with the creation software, even if it doesn't let us actually save anything, just so we know what it's like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
    Veho @ Veho: +1