Votes: 45 39.8%

• Total voters

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say it would decide who "wins". I said it would have a big affect. Lots of people bought a PS3/360 because it had better graphics than the Wii. Just because the Wii sold more doesn't mean the inferior graphics didn't have affect. Imagine how well the Wii would have done if it was on par with the PS360?

I think you're leaping to quite a conclusion here.

The problem was less that the Wii's hardware made it less pretty - the problem was that it limited the sort of games the system could take (though the Wii remote didn't help much in that regard either). Huge titles like GTA IV, Mass Effect, and the like were just too much for the system.

If it was easier for developers to make their games for all three systems, then sure, more people might have bought the Wii. Graphics wouldn't be the deciding factor here - it would've been game selection.

Hell, the 360 is the weaker of the two graphics-intensive consoles from last gen and it's still beating the PS3 last I checked.

I'm not saying that people who favor graphics over anything else don't exist, but they're hardly the mass you seem to think they are.

And really, are you seriously telling me that graphics were as big of a deal for teenagers 15 years ago?

It's easy to put on the nostalgia goggles and say people only cared about gameplay back in the day, but that would be a lie. People cared just as much about graphics and hardware. Entire marketing campaigns were built around flaunting superior graphics ("BLAST PROCESSING!") and Nintendo considered its move to 64-bit so impressive that they named their new console after it.

Just because the graphics look unimpressive to us now doesn't mean that they weren't impressive at the time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shocker, you only read part of my post. I clearly said "gameplay" (in fact, I mentioned that FIRST), but you didn't seem to notice that.

You can't focus on everything. That's why it's rare to see a game that wins in all areas.
Uhh... Yeah, you can. With massive studios that delegate work to specific departments, you can. It always was, always has been and always will work that way. Think of legendary games like Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas - they have stunning graphics, engrossing worlds and fantastic gameplay. Those games literally devour spare time, and I can only come up with more examples.

I think the OUYA is ridiculous, but it's supposed to be a big threat to Sony/MS/Nintendo. It's also a video game console.
I hesitate to treat it on full rights with other consoles on the basis of its hardware. It's a smartphone/tablet motherboard with the GSM/GPS modules and the screen removed, there's nothing console-specific about it outside of the controller. As for it being a threat... Wait, I need to find my tissues, I'm tearing up over here... and my sides need a surgeon STAT. :rofl2:

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I think you're leaping to quite a conclusion here.

The problem was less that the Wii's hardware made it less pretty - the problem was that it limited the sort of games the system could take (though the Wii remote didn't help much in that regard either). Huge titles like GTA IV, Mass Effect, and the like were just too much for the system.

If it was easier for developers to make their games for all three systems, then sure, more people might have bought the Wii. Graphics wouldn't be the deciding factor here - it would've been game selection.

Hell, the 360 is the weaker of the two graphics-intensive consoles from last gen and it's still beating the PS3 last I checked.

I'm not saying that people who favor graphics over anything else don't exist, but they're hardly the mass you seem to think they are.

It's easy to put on the nostalgia goggles and say people only cared about gameplay back in the day, but that would be a lie. People cared just as much about graphics and hardware. Entire marketing campaigns were built around flaunting superior graphics ("BLAST PROCESSING!") and Nintendo considered its move to 64-bit so impressive that they named their new console after it.

Just because the graphics look unimpressive to us now doesn't mean that they weren't impressive at the time.
Thank you for reading my posts correctly. That's a lot more than I can expect from Foxi. He keeps arguing with things I'm not saying, lol.

Anyway, what you are describing was not my experience, but it might be a cultural thing. I didn't move to the US until 2001, and thinking back it was only a few years later that I started noticing people with the attitude of "fuck gameplay, the graphics on this system are so much better!" I try getting people to play Oblivion on the 360, but most (meaning kids) just get this look of revulsion when they see the graphics and don't give it a chance.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for reading my posts correctly. That's a lot more than I can expect from Foxi. He keeps arguing with things I'm not saying, lol.

Anyway, what you are describing was not my experience, but it might be a cultural thing. I didn't move to the US until 2001, and thinking back it was only a few years later that I started noticing people with the attitude of "fuck gameplay, the graphics on this system are so much better!" I try getting people to play Oblivion on the 360, but most (meaning kids) just get this look of revulsion when they see the graphics and don't give it a chance.

it would be more fair to say that the best graphics are important to a *segment of the market* since most people really just can't tell the difference unless it's an order of magnitude in difference (which is why Joostin *is* correct at least insofar as the gulf between the PS4 and 1 will not be large enough for the mass market to discern). This is why the weaker console can always hold its own against the stronger ones, because *most* of the market can't tell/doesn't care that one machine is better than another as far as its silicon goes, with consumers being more content and price-driven than the 'core' market which only sees "blast processing" (or seems to only see, if gaming message boards since the dawn of the Internet--and before that, the playground--are anything to go by).

(And, once again, it needs to be pointed out that the 'graphics whores' are a small slice of the market compared to the general population and are wholly incapable, on their own, of picking generational winners.)

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
(And, once again, it needs to be pointed out that the 'graphics whores' are a small slice of the market compared to the general population and are wholly incapable, on their own, of picking generational winners.)
I guess my general community is kind of an anomaly then. About 50% of the people I know are graphics whores.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks. I read your entire post, I just disagreed with the core concept you were conveying. Still do. :glare:

There's more to hardware prowess than just pretty lights and fancy models - it's important in game development, even if only for the sake of spending less time optimizing and more time creating. I experienced this first-hand when developing for the DS - a lot of my projects were put on-hold or were completely scrapped not because of my inability but because they were not achievable due to hardware restrictions.

I'll give you an example. The DS has 4MB RAM - I reserved 500KB of that RAM for music streaming, 500KB for the program code. I was left with 3MB of RAM. One spritesheet for FalloutDS was around 700KB - effectively I could put up to about 3 different characters on the screen plus the map. *3*.

I was unwilling to lower the quality of my product or the framecount of the sprites, I wasn't going to create something I wouldn't be proud of and I stopped working on it. That, and I'm not even going to start talking about the pitiful amount of VRAM - even with those 3 different characters, they could only be spawned in very small numbers on the map anyways. This was a huge bummer for me as I was excited to work on the game, I spent a lot of time tweaking the graphics and now I'm just discouraged because I know I'd have to do severe coding gymnastics to push it any further than it is now or even re-write the whole thing completely for the sixth time.

Hardware prowess would've helped but I had no resources spare.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the OUYA is ridiculous, but it's supposed to be a big threat to Sony/MS/Nintendo. It's also a video game console.
:O :blink:
I thought I misread that.
I read it again...
You must be the first in all of the internets to actually THINK that the Ouya might actually pose a threat to the big three. Seriously! The impact of your sentence is astounding!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, remember, opinions aren't evenly distributed. The majority opinion in one place may be wholly unrepresentative of the whole population.

Plus, don't take what kids say too seriously. Kids say and do stupid things, sure, but they're just kids - that's their nature. Besides, it's their parents who make the final purchasing decision, and most parents probably couldn't care less about the hardware specs that we could debate passionately for hours on end.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
How does disagreeing a post makes someone a dumbass?
He didn't disagree with my post. He disagreed with something (or rather several things) I didn't post, often addressing half a statement.

Oh, and the "big threat" was a mistake, I'm quite tired. But it is thought by a lot of people that it will be a threat. And it's not just the OUYA (what a ridiculous name), it's the whole tablet system. Lots of people predict (but keep in mind, these are just predictions, so they could be completely wrong) that lots of people who would normally buy a console for casual gameplay will turn to things like tablets as a cheap alternative.

D

Deleted_171835

@OP: Where does this 50% figure even come from? I just read the article and it says nothing of the sort.

Reactions: Joe88

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He didn't disagree with my post. He disagreed with something (or rather several things) I didn't post, often addressing half a statement.
Gimme an example? Cause I don't see how he disagreed with things you didn't post... It seemed more like you just plainly shrugged off his opinion...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And yet you repeatedly missed my point entirely. Either you didn't read them properly, or you are just a dumbass.
So far your point was that "graphics capabilities may have an impact on sales" which is your lucky guess - they may or may not, as shown by previously mentioned examples.

You also said that games with better graphics may have worse stories or gameplay mechanics, which again, is not a universal truth as graphics, gameplay mechanics and storytelling are entirely different things that are handled separately - you can make a fun-to-play game with stellar graphics and a compelling story to tell, it has been done - it just requires talented artists.

You also claimed that most people you know are graphics whores who don't care about gameplay, but if gameplay is so irrelevant to them, why do they game instead of watching CGI movies? That's eyecandy, right? Clearly the actual gaming part is dear to them as well, they just want their games to look good, which is something they're entitled to.

Some people won't touch eyecandy-filled games because they prefer retro - how is that any better? Both are tastes regarding artistic design.

I wrote about more things than you directly mentioned because I tend to read between the lines - I know what you're going to say so I'm addressing what you said and giving you my more detailed personal opinion.

Now, did I miss something again or will you persist in insulting me?

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So far your point was that "graphics capabilities may have an impact on sales" which is your lucky guess - they may or may not, as shown by previously mentioned examples.

You also said that games with better graphics may have worse stories or gameplay mechanics, which again, is not a universal truth as graphics, gameplay mechanics and storytelling are entirely different things that are handled separately - you can make a fun-to-play game with stellar graphics and a compelling story to tell, it has been done - it just requires talented artists.

You also claimed that most people you know are graphics whores who don't care about gameplay, but if gameplay is so irrelevant to them, why do they game instead of watching CGI movies? That's eyecandy, right? Clearly the actual gaming part is dear to them as well, they just want their games to look good, which is something they're entitled to.

Some people won't touch eyecandy-filled games because they prefer retro - how is that any better? Both are tastes regarding artistic design.

I wrote about more things than you directly mentioned because I tend to read between the lines - I know what you're going to say so I'm adressing what you said and giving you my more detailed personal opinion.

Now, did I miss something again or will you persist in insulting me?
Seriously, I just don't see what was wrong with what you said. You clearly addressed his post correctly. WTF?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seriously, I just don't see what was wrong with what you said. You clearly addressed his post correctly. WTF?
I'm waiting for an explanation myself. If he thinks I didn't get what he said, he should've at least clarified his statement rather than going straight for the "dumbass" card - that doesn't bode well for the rest of this conversation.

Pro Tip: If you want to converse in a civilized manner, don't throw around insults. If you do, not only people will stop listening to what you have to say, they'll also stop treating you seriously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: 😭