Hardware PS4 Slim, USBs are not working

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I have a PS4 Slim that came with White Light of Death issue. I troubleshoot it down to be the HDMI IC MN864729, which I have replaced and now it is showing on TV. But, when tried to connect a controller with USB to sync and test the console, it does nothing.

Both of the front USB ports are completely dead and unresponsive. Can someone guide me how to troubleshoot them, because as far as I can see they do not connect to a USB IC controller. They seem to go directly to the Southbridge.

I would rule out the Southbridge could be the issue, since the console posts and boots up properly, so it communicates all together. Even bd feeds in and out, no problem.

I assume the issue must be one little components but I don't locate any short or something at the area and have no idea how to troubleshoot further.

Please see the attached photos. Maybe is the SIE custom chip at the second photo? It is just next to the USB traces going towards to the Southbridge.

Any help is welcome.
4982645ecf5d79626a1857887d3cc36b.jpg
5f10d722e83319c34cdec26e75eb3e7c.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MadMaxGR,

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I understand your point of view, but if the chip was faulty, it would not access the hdd and boot. Right?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand your point of view, but if the chip was faulty, it would not access the hdd and boot. Right?
if the chip was dead, yes. but it could just be a cracked solder joint. try re-flowing the chip before taking it off and replacing it to make sure it is the problem or not. you could also have a dead Bluetooth ic chip.

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
if the chip was dead, yes. but it could just be a cracked solder joint. try re-flowing the chip before taking it off and replacing it to make sure it is the problem or not. you could also have a dead Bluetooth ic chip.
Unlikely to be the BT chip. When that is off it will give power to the USB, now no power there.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

MicroRepairRX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The South Bridge chip can be partially faulty. If you check the data lines on the usb ports and run a continuity test you will see that it shorts to ground. You will hear a long beep. If you follow the data line traces, you'll see they run all the way to the south bridge ic.

If you boot into safe mode and can't connect the controller via usb, then it's definitely the south bridge.

Now if you are able to connect a controller in safe mode and but not on the home screen when the console boots normally, then it's a wifi/bluetooth bga chip issue. If replacing that doesn't fix it, then it's an issue with a corrupt system flash. In this case, using BWE (Better Way Electronics) tool for validating and patching the dumped flash is the way to go. This requires building a custom flash reader with a teensy 2.0.

Edit: If you decide to reflow the chip be sure to use a board preheater and a decent hot air machine. I've tried just using hot air for reflow and killed the chip.

Last edited by MicroRepairRX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: though my mom has documents here on my pc