Gaming PS5 games boycott

iialaq01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As we all see, Sony increased the prices PS5 games to $69.99. Im sure there are people who can afford it and have no problem paying this price but for others, including myself, it’s a lot. I thought if we all cooperate to boycott those high prices, I’m sure will push Sony and others to drop them back to $59.99. The issue here isn’t the MSRP, It’s the packages and in game purchases! Back then we only had to worry about buying a game for $49.99 to $59.99 but now, we have add-ons and in game purchases. I already started boycotting hight prices. I waited for demon’s souls to drop to $60 to buy it and I hope many others did the same.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Personally I'd recon Sony themselves should be boycotted, not just videogames...

Such a shady company.

However we've seen with Pkmn Shield&Sword how these 'Boycotts' usually turn out:
There are more than enough oblivious people that'll still buy stuff, no matter the caveat.

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
While in theory this could work in reality it wont. The number of people that would need to participate in order for Sony to even notice, let alone act is just never going to happen. People moan, kick up a fuss then go and buy it anyway. I Personally don't buy any game until its at most £20-30. I usually wait until even lower.

Reactions: CoolMe and iialaq01

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Don’t know about the US, but I’m regularly seeing discounts in the UK from less mainstream retailers online.

Rift Apart has been seen for ~£60.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: Ita54_2

iialaq01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to boycott game purchases on a console with no games? Tricky.

As of now, there’s Demon’s soul, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank rift apart coming this Friday. Each of them cost $70 for standard edition and $80 for the deluxe version.

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they need to have games first
so far this is the only real use for the ps5:
maxresdefault.jpg

ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢˡʸ ᵗʰᵒᵘᵍʰ, ˢᶜʳᵉʷ ˢᵒⁿʸ
ᵗʰᵉʸ'ᵛᵉ ᵇᵉᵉⁿ ˢᶜᵃᵐᵐʸ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᵍᵉⁿ

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
As we all see, Sony increased the prices PS5 games to $69.99. Im sure there are people who can afford it and have no problem paying this price but for others, including myself, it’s a lot. I thought if we all cooperate to boycott those high prices, I’m sure will push Sony and others to drop them back to $59.99. The issue here isn’t the MSRP, It’s the packages and in game purchases! Back then we only had to worry about buying a game for $49.99 to $59.99 but now, we have add-ons and in game purchases. I already started boycotting hight prices. I waited for demon’s souls to drop to $60 to buy it and I hope many others did the same.

Maybe now purchasing a game will seem like an investment and you'll spend more time playing each that you purchase. That's opposed to buying all sorts and never playing or at least finishing them. As for the increase, I highly doubt your dissatisfaction with prices going up are going to result in Sony changing what they charge for them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Obviously it's gonna be a different situation for each different region, but with physical discs the pricing has barely changed. Demon's Souls and Miles Morales were like $40 within a couple months of release, and Returnal is already down to about $50 as well. I feel like Sony is aware of this trend, so setting the MSRP higher is more about getting $35 from patient gamers instead of $30. I'm not sure any amount of lost sales on launch in specific will be enough to convince them to drop the price back down.

iialaq01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously it's gonna be a different situation for each different region, but with physical discs the pricing has barely changed. Demon's Souls and Miles Morales were like $40 within a couple months of release, and Returnal is already down to about $50 as well. I feel like Sony is aware of this trend, so setting the MSRP higher is more about getting $35 from patient gamers instead of $30. I'm not sure any amount of lost sales on launch in specific will be enough to convince them to drop the price back down.

I own a digital PS5 because of the convenience of buying digital games rather than physical. I want to switch between games easily and also I had bad experience with disc with PS4 few scratches and it’s gone for whatever I paid for it.

Reactions: Xzi

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I own a digital PS5 because of the convenience of buying digital games rather than physical. I want to switch between games easily and also I had bad experience with disc with PS4 few scratches and it’s gone for whatever I paid for it.

Just be aware that you're technically renting the games and you will probably lose the ability to download them in the future when PSN for the PS5 is taken offline by Sony. You should also realize if you break the TOS for PSN you could get banned and that also means you lose every single game you've been renting. Renting? Yes, read the TOS. You're simply paying to access the games. You don't own them.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just can't understand why people complain about paying overpriced games but still buy overpriced consoles on launch day, it doesn't make sense.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forget the price, with Sony it's a gamble as to whether you're even getting all the content that the developers intended thanks to their trigger-happy censors.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just can't understand why people complain about paying overpriced games but still buy overpriced consoles on launch day, it doesn't make sense.
Console makers actually typically sell them equal or at a loss and make it up with the sale of games. For example it cost Sony $1000 to make a PS3 at launch.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price of games increase and the quality decrease. Can guarantee that many games launch in an unplayable broken buggy state like Fallout 76 did. Boycotting will not accomplish anything. Hire a consumer protection attorney if you want to see something happen.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Console makers actually typically sell them equal or at a loss and make it up with the sale of games. For example it cost Sony $1000 to make a PS3 at launch.
No console maker takes a loss, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price of games increase and the quality decrease. Can guarantee that many games launch in an unplayable broken buggy state like Fallout 76 did. Boycotting will not accomplish anything. Hire a consumer protection attorney if you want to see something happen.
Boycotting does work if it eats into the companies profits. Just like the scalping situation. Scalpers have no incentive to stop unless idiots stop buying from them. Take it to where it hurts. There is no other way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No console maker takes a loss, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

No it's not. Nintendo is about the only console maker that actually makes money on their system as they try to use already established technologies.

Google "Bill of Materials" for a console to see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: https://www.gamerevolution.com/news...-to-manufacture-analyst-estimate-daniel-ahmad

Last edited by ccfman2004,
Reactions: iialaq01

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As somebody else here already pointed out, I think you are seeing the initial high cost of games being used to offset an increase in the regularity of pretty massive sales, especially for digital titles. During the Xbox 360 and PS3 eras, you rarely saw sales for titles on par with what something like Steam offered. Nowadays, though? There seem to be fairly high discount sales happening fairly regularly on console - and that's to say nothing of services like Game Pass.

There's also the very real fact that AAA titles are exponentially more complicated than they ever have been in the past, meaning that they really do cost way more to produce. Compare something like Super Mario World to the latest Call of Duty <whatever>, and it's hard to argue that the former was equally work-intensive to produce when compared to the latter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: