Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Think i'l forgo updating for the time being. Unless a game i want comes along and NEEDS the 6.0 update i'l stay on 5. Not like i'd use the features that 6 brings anyway so no point in me updating YET

Ryu Kenshin

Trophies
XP
Country
After updating to firmware 6.0 and having a kind user test some things out for me, I can confirm 99% of hacks works on firmware 6.0; from sleep mode to custom homebrew .NSP files. For homebrew .NSP files, I would recommend deleting pm.kip under your modules/sysmodules folder to have them launch properly on firmware 6.0. I haven't had the time to extensively test all homebrew (there are a lot of these), but the general assumption is that most, if not all, work. SX OS is still the only CFW to not support LayeredFS on firmware 6.0 (I'm in tears) and we need a new DevMenu for firmware 6.0 but outside of that, I think its safe to update. I would highly recommend updating with ChoiDujourNX in case you encounter any problems on firmware 6.0 so you can just downgrade back down at any time.
I cannot play NSP games with hekate 4.1 on 6.0 firmware, should I delete pm.kip like your advice? :unsure:
And sys-netcheat does not work on 6.0, too. :cry:

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot play NSP games with hekate 4.1 on 6.0 firmware, should I delete pm.kip like your advice? :unsure:
And sys-netcheat does not work on 6.0, too. :cry:
I would recheck that your files are correct and your SD card isn't corrupt. You might need to reinstall them and/or delete pm.kip

Reactions: Ryu Kenshin

Dagor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there a list of the total amount of fuses which should be burned after each update, for example: 5.1 - 7 fuses burned 6.0 - X fuses burned?
I'd like to know if my update really didn't burn fuses.

PsychOsmosis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Merci and god damn it, I burned a fuse - something didn't work right.

Aww!! :(

I read earlier that AutoRCM gets disabled when you update to 6.0. Is that right?
If so, that would explain why it's easy to burn a fuse while updating since rebooting to Horizon from Power Off updates the fuse count.

Dagor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

I read earlier that AutoRCM gets disabled when you update to 6.0. Is that right?
If so, that would explain why it's easy to burn a fuse while updating since rebooting to Horizon from Power Off updates the fuse count.

I had my jig installed and placed, the RCM hekate splashscreen even showed, but then it immediatly booted horizon - so i wasn't able to enter hekate and re-enabled AutoRCM before the boot.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AutRCM is removed during every official system update because they write to boot0/boot1 which cause the console to reboot. ChoiDujourNX also causes the console to reboot but installs AutoRCM when it writes to boot0/boot1 while updating the system firmware.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex , I haven't hacked my switch yet, but I do enjoy reading your posts. they're always very informative. :) I'm trying to learn as much as possible for the one day I do decide to hack my system. ;)

Reactions: Draxzelex

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
All my consoles capable of going on the Internet, never ban
The key? Dump nand before any modification
No online games nothing, no homebrew online, custom firmware is used to launch offline backup
If I want to go online, I restore my clean nand, delete the whole console, and I play with my purchased games, that's all. On xbox,ps3,wii,and for the switch not yet banned. And that's not going to happen.
And patience is also an important key to success, often neglected, and often the cause of the ban, lack of patience.
Or in the case of switch, my nand has 2 official free online games, fortnite and palladins...
I think it's playable without subscriptions?.....

Last edited by KHEOPS,

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No online games nothing, no homebrew online, custom firmware is used to launch offline backup
If I want to go online, I restore my clean nand, delete the whole console, and I play with my purchased games, that's all. On xbox,ps3,wii,and for the switch not yet banned. And that's not going to happen.
And patience is also an important key to success, often neglected, and often the cause of the ban, lack of patience.
Or in the case of switch, my nand has 2 official free online games, fortnite and palladins...

That is an awful lot of work just to play some homebrew.

Wouldnt it be easier and more productive to pick up a cheap used console and mod it for all your homebrew needs and leave the other one untouched for official use?

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everybody
That is an awful lot of work just to play some homebrew.
Well the work is "huge" (1h20 not so big) if you want to play online nintendo.
But currently offline stealth sxos v1.9, ofw 5.1.0, I play every day at the nes,snes,genesis etc.... No problem (just the lack of shader that hinders the poor image quality experience) retron x.( and lakka no sound)
Right now I'm playing a star ocean superfamicom trad in jap>eng dejap (Understanding history finally makes a huge difference) A completely crazy, awesome, incredible, extraordinary game. Waouuh!!!

Otherwise I play the whole catalogue switch offline also without any problem. ( I restore nand only to play games bought online) since it's paying now, I wasn't interested before, and even less now, just the challenge (battle royal kheops vs nintendo 98 are dead there are still 2) so I don't want to ban myself, no fail.nintendo can't stop me from playing games I still have at home, or snes, and I'd be mad to be banned. but that's the game, and I find it fun and exciting, but I'm talking about my case, because if I wanted to be quiet,tranquil, you have to buy a second switch, but in this case there's no challenge, no adrenaline.
1537554991-200-d.gif

Last edited by KHEOPS,
Reactions: nero99

jslay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Better not leave your SD Card in there with OFW as well, or you are doing all of this for nothing. Nintendo has/will do file checks on the SD Card to determine if there is anything fishy there...

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Better not leave your SD Card in there with OFW as well, or you are doing all of this for nothing. Nintendo has/will do file checks on the SD Card to determine if there is anything fishy there...
I just love how people talk here like they know exactly how Nintendo detects and bans switches. No one knows exactly how they do it, stop making things out of thin air.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
just love how people talk here like they know exactly how Nintendo detects and bans switches. No one knows exactly how they do it, stop making things out of thin air.

Well, yes, we can find here statistically, even if there are some obscure points.
1 / played a game before the official release date, continue and you will see that you will be banned (timestamp also used on 3ds)
2 / update your nsp to do the test (nsp modifies the nand) + telemetry
And so on... We don't know everything, but we have some certainties about some things to do.
And as far as I know, I'm not a forbidden person, so I'm lucky? Or I suppose the detection is based on the nand, and telemetry is the nintendo messenger, who spies on your system, and reports what he saw.
The xbox,xbox360, ps2, ps3, wii,wii u, 3ds etc...
We're starting to know how it works a little bit, aren't we?
Just a few other things to learn, like the emunand, split nand sxos xecuter, is there any telemetry that reports that? Not yet seen, and for the SD card I have serious doubts, it's possible, but then creport writes log on sd, so if it's not sure, it's surprising.

All I know is that if I restore my nand before going to eshop, it goes well, and if I don't? Well, I'm going to fill out a ban form here
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

Because telemetry reports what it sees, on nand sysnand, if it sees a nand that has not seen a hack, no illegal nsp ,no homebrew ,nintendo will do how to ban a clean console? Day1?..... If you don't do anything stupid online, I don't see the problem ( I simplify but basically that's it)

I have 140 switch games, I played monster hunter about ten days before its release, well it's called a red flag = Ban
Well, right now, I'm not a banned
Before the paid online ,I played fortnite ,and palladins more than 40 hours, after testing monster hunter....( by the way, this game sucks)
What if I hadn't restored my nand? Do you think I could say that? I don't think so, no.

So we don't know everything, restore rawnand.bin, boot0, boot1, which is similar to restoring Windows 10 in case of a serious problem, and if you do, Windows 10 will no longer have the defective registry, and even the program in question will no longer exist, we agree? And of course on switch it's the same, we restore the nand, without knowing all the verification points of nintendo, but we know that it works, I've been doing it for 10 years, on any type of console
In short, see you soon and enjoy the games

Otherwise sciresM knows what he's talking about, right?
See here for precise details
https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Wurstmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So with SX emunand is this old news? Because now you can just upgrade as early as possible to the newest firmware in emunand and if there are problems you simply downgrade? Should be the perfect tool for testing new firmwares in a safe environment.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is the main advantage
I am ofw 5.1.0, and I can play nand games on cfw 6.0
Practical for those in 3.0 or 4.1
Choix du jour is good, but people have been banned with ofw 6.0 and this technique
Offline update no problem ,And as always if you have a clean nand of course.

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3