Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how I dump .xci partitions:

1) Place a populated prod.keys file in .switch\ (You can get this file with kezplez-nx)
2) Grab hactool and extract it to a folder
2) Place your .xci in the same folder as hactool.exe
3) Open a terminal window/command prompt in that folder
4) Enter "hactool.exe -x -txci YOUR_XCI.xci --outdir=Extracted_XCI" (With "YOUR_XCI" being replaced with the .xci name)
5) The extracted partitions are in Extracted_XCI\

If you're looking for ease of use, here's a small batch I wrote a while back.
Just place it into your hactool folder and drag your .xci onto it (the .xci doesn't need to be in the hactool folder)
and it will extract the partitions into Extracted_XCI\.
(Bear in mind you must still have a populated prod.keys at .switch\)

Thanks

ScottNBNP

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I have been super banned. I'm not able to access any Nintendo network services. No updates nothing.

So to my surprise when I turned my switch on at work tonight, low and behold I was told to update. Silly me said sure thinking it would error out as I'm banned but surprisingly it finished reset and now I'm on 6.1.0, (obviously fuses are burnt but I'm not to worried about that) I am confused how I downloaded the update

Though everything seems to be working, My themes, games and HBL

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been super banned. I'm not able to access any Nintendo network services. No updates nothing.

So to my surprise when I turned my switch on at work tonight, low and behold I was told to update. Silly me said sure thinking it would error out as I'm banned but surprisingly it finished reset and now I'm on 6.1.0, (obviously fuses are burnt but I'm not to worried about that) I am confused how I downloaded the update

Though everything seems to be working, My themes, games and HBL
I believe they changed the way bans operated around the time firmware 6.0 dropped. Now game updates are behind dauth meaning if you get soft banned, you lose game updates but CDN bans seem to have either disappeared or exist in very rare circumstances since they only block system updates now.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to say this earlier but it seems like Atmosphere's "signature patches" need updating to work on firmware 6.1. Tried installing Freedom Planet and Dark Souls but both games refused to launch. When I did the same thing in ReiNX, both Freedom Planet and Dark Souls launched without any major issues (Dark Souls bugged me there was no network).

ScottNBNP

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Forgot to say this earlier but it seems like Atmosphere's "signature patches" need updating to work on firmware 6.1. Tried installing Freedom Planet and Dark Souls but both games refused to launch. When I did the same thing in ReiNX, both Freedom Planet and Dark Souls launched without any major issues (Dark Souls bugged me there was no network).

Yep can confirm that my backups don't boot on atmosphere but do with ReniNX.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

pin this

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Honestly I don't see the point in hacking the switch still so early in it's life people should wait until the console is no longer getting support, this is why users are getting upset about getting banned when nintendo catches them out. I don't want to be "that girl" but they do ask for it.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't see the point in hacking the switch still so early in it's life people should wait until the console is no longer getting support, this is why users are getting upset about getting banned when nintendo catches them out. I don't want to be "that girl" but they do ask for it.

Nintendo is gonna ban the F out of you at the end of the system's life too. The only way this changes is if CFW patches it, which never seemed to happen on the 3DS.

Erol

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How do you know if you are super banned?

when you try to update a game using the switch menu it gives an errorerror code 2137-7403, that means you are CDN banned

I believe they changed the way bans operated around the time firmware 6.0 dropped. Now game updates are behind dauth meaning if you get soft banned, you lose game updates but CDN bans seem to have either disappeared or exist in very rare circumstances since they only block system updates now.

wait.. what? so if you are CDN banned in the past, you can now download game and firmware updates again or what does that mean?

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you try to update a game using the switch menu it gives an errorerror code 2137-7403, that means you are CDN banned

wait.. what? so if you are CDN banned in the past, you can now download game and firmware updates again or what does that mean?
you will always be able to firmware update your switch

MikeTheKnight2016

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ah - then I am CDN banned as I can't download game updates or anything on my switch. Which is interesting as I blocked the servers and put it in airplane mode anytime I was booting with SX OS into CFW

Is my only way of getting game updates now is finding them thro one of the many warez sites?

Last edited by MikeTheKnight2016,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ah - then I am CDN banned as I can't download game updates or anything on my switch. Which is interesting as I blocked the servers and put it in airplane mode anytime I was booting with SX OS into CFW

Is my only way of getting game updates now is finding them thro one of the many warez sites?

Or wait for a game to ship with the update.

that's odd as the 3ds can easily be restored from a ban there's video tutorials on it all
over youtube

completely different console, there *might* be a way to unban switches but we don't know yet (publicly)

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So guys here's a bit of a question: This warning has been floating around on several Discord severs but apparently if you are running or if you ever ran CFW on your system and you update to 6.1.0 you will be insta banned. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any truth to this warning?

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: wiewiec

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So guys here's a bit of a question: This warning has been floating around on several Discord severs but apparently if you are running or if you ever ran CFW on your system and you update to 6.1.0 you will be insta banned. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any truth to this warning?
Its fear-mongering. There are plenty of users with CFW on 6.1 without a ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu