PSP ‘connect to USB’ error/glitch

ticman31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone please assist with an issue I’m having when turning on my PSP. When I’m on the main start up/menu screen (cross menu bar) it keeps automatically selecting the USB connection option & then the error message ‘can’t connect to USB’ pops up. It lets me press circle button to go back to the XMB but it then automatically just selects it again without you pressing X. If you are very quick is sometimes let’s you move up or down on joypad & select another option. The buttons aren’t sticking tho as when you turn on the PSP & load a game, it plays fine & all the buttons respond as they should. This is very odd. I’ll add that I hadn’t turned on my PSP in about 7-8 years but on initial power up it worked fine & it let me change the date & time. But it’s now got this very frustrating glitch. Also my battery won’t hold a charge but I guess this is a separate issue? Maybe the batteries just die after years of no use, as I barely used my PSP from new all those years ago so the battery was never battered from being recharging regularly. Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by ticman31,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
my battery won’t hold a charge but I guess this is a separate issue? Maybe the batteries just die after years of no use, as I barely used my PSP from new all those years ago so the battery was never battered from being recharging regularly.
Regarding this, it is a good habit to store the console after fully charging the battery, taking it out and keeping it aside if you do not want to use it for a long time. It has happened to many people to find the battery swollen and the door cracked after years.

When I’m on the main start up/menu screen (cross menu bar) it keeps automatically selecting the USB connection option & then the error message ‘can’t connect to USB’ pops up.
In my humble opinion, the socket where the data cable is to be inserted is damaged, and the software detects (incorrectly) the presence of the inserted cable. Try inserting and extracting the cable several times, and try connecting it to the PC: does this detect its presence? Can you copy roms and isos from PC to PSP?
If you can't, you should buy a micro SD + Pro Duo Adapter, and to copy roms/isos you will have to insert the micro SD into the PC via a common SD Reader, and then reinsert it into the Pro Duo Adapter and this to PSP. Did I make myself clear. But we will need more information on this.

*Edit: Mind that however the micro SD must be formatted (via PD Adapter) solely inside the psp.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

ticman31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding this, it is a good habit to store the console after fully charging the battery, taking it out and keeping it aside if you do not want to use it for a long time. It has happened to many people to find the battery swollen and the door cracked after years.

In my humble opinion, the socket where the data cable is to be inserted is damaged, and the software detects (incorrectly) the presence of the inserted cable. Try inserting and extracting the cable several times, and try connecting it to the PC: does this detect its presence? Can you copy roms and isos from PC to PSP?
If you can't, you should buy a micro SD + Pro Duo Adapter, and to copy roms/isos you will have to insert the micro SD into the PC via a common SD Reader, and then reinsert it into the Pro Duo Adapter and this to PSP. Did I make myself clear. But we will need more information on this.

*Edit: Mind that however the micro SD must be formatted (via PD Adapter) solely inside the psp.
Hi, I connected a 5 pin micro to USB cable from my PSP to my laptop & it detected the source. When it was plugged in I was able to navigate through the XMB no problem. But when I unplugged the cable it kept automatically going to the ‘connect to USB’ option & selecting it. This is very strange!

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I see... but does the laptop detect the presence of the psp? Can you copy files from the previous one to this one? This is all in case you want to play new PSP games or emulators, assuming you have installed a custom firmware, which we don't know. If I understand correctly you can still play the original PSP games, so that issue is just a nuisance but does not affect the playability, or am I wrong? Anyway, what firmware does the console have, original or cfw? You could try doing a factory reset and put the default settings back...but maybe that's a risk.... I don't know...🤔

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try cleaning the port out with some compressed air.

If that doesn't help then try disabling automatically entering USB transfer while the cable is inserted. Theoretically you should not be stuck in a loop if the cable is already present.

Also, does this happen with no memory card inserted at all? As in hold the power button until it shuts off fully, takes about 10 to 15 seconds, then remove the memory card, boot it up, and see if it still does that.

Reactions: Nikokaro

ticman31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try cleaning the port out with some compressed air.

If that doesn't help then try disabling automatically entering USB transfer while the cable is inserted. Theoretically you should not be stuck in a loop if the cable is already present.

Also, does this happen with no memory card inserted at all? As in hold the power button until it shuts off fully, takes about 10 to 15 seconds, then remove the memory card, boot it up, and see if it still does that.
Hi, I’ve not tried it without the memory card inserted. But the issue still occurs when the cable is inserted to the PSP, but not when you plug in into my laptop-it reads the files etc & I can view them in the relevant folders. I guess me still being able to play games is a bonus, but further down the line I might want to play games via an emulator which might prove difficult with this glitch. Thanks for your help tho
Post automatically merged:

I see... but does the laptop detect the presence of the psp? Can you copy files from the previous one to this one? This is all in case you want to play new PSP games or emulators, assuming you have installed a custom firmware, which we don't know. If I understand correctly you can still play the original PSP games, so that issue is just a nuisance but does not affect the playability, or am I wrong? Anyway, what firmware does the console have, original or cfw? You could try doing a factory reset and put the default settings back...but maybe that's a risk.... I don't know...🤔
Hi, it definitely looks like my laptop detects the PSP as it lets my open files in the relevant folders. I’ve never done any upgrades or modifications so it will still be the original firmware. Buy yes in time I would like to play other games via an emulator but this is something I’m not familiar with so I will need to read up on this. In the meantime I can still play games, but on initial start up I have to put up with the glitch, but after turning the PSP off then on again, it loads up whatever UMD disc/game inserted in the console. Thanks for your input.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I’ve not tried it without the memory card inserted. But the issue still occurs when the cable is inserted to the PSP, but not when you plug in into my laptop-it reads the files etc & I can view them in the relevant folders. I guess me still being able to play games is a bonus, but further down the line I might want to play games via an emulator which might prove difficult with this glitch. Thanks for your help tho
For my idea to work the cable needs to be inserted in both the PSP and a PC, once it's connected to both try exiting from the USB mode by pressing O and see if you can then move around the menu. If that works disable the USB connect in the system settings somewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y