PUBG Corp. backs out of lawsuit against Epic Games and Fortnite

IMG_8195.JPG

If you thought you'd only have a mere single Fortnite lawsuit scandal on the front page today, you were wrong. PUBG Corp and Bluehole, who took Epic Games to court in May over similarities between PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite, have decided to pull out of the lawsuit and cancel their case. The suit has been officially withdrawn in the South Korean courts, and won't be proceeding. Neither company has provided a statement about if the case had been settled out of court, or why PUBG Corp decided to back out only just now. It could however be attributed to the fact that Epic is the company that provides the engine for PUBG, or that Tencent, a Chinese company, has partial ownership in both subsidiaries.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

Obviously Bluehole saw Epic were taking their own employee to court and thought "Jesus fuck, those nutcases! Ok, that's it, I'm fucking outta here!"

Reactions: coppertj

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope, pal u didn't get the point, Tencent which is a GIANT holding/investment company and hold a good amount of shares of both company, actually contributed the end of this ridiculous dispute.
And i 'm pretty sure Tencent is able to buy off both of them...

and Democracy is just a lie created by western and tried to apply to eastern but failed miserably: the only party which rulez china is one and only Communist party and the President has life time charge and no one dare to talk shit about him... now take a look to Erdogan... when he tried to visit Netherlands.... it was VERY funny indeed.
Well we don't know how much the holding company was involved (if at all).

Democracy is a lie? Um, okay. What do you think about public referendums? Brexit was demorcratic, no?

Kind of spiraling off topic here.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well we don't know how much the holding company was involved (if at all).

Democracy is a lie? Um, okay. What do you think about public referendums? Brexit was demorcratic, no?

Kind of spiraling off topic here.
even Trump is an elected president, how many significant things has he done for his supporters beside add duties and build a GREAT WALL to keep safe states from mexicans?

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We're a little too off topic for this thread, but feel free to pm me or make a discussion about democracy vs oligarchy in the politics section https://gbatemp.net/forums/world-news-current-events-politics.290/

man, u forget things so fast: remember this? you should get off too far...

It's because their dictatorial government can actually get things done.

Like Erdogan says. Democracy is a train. You get off when you reach your stop.
i mentioned tencent being share holder of both companies in conflict, guess what special guest did u invite here? Erodogan!

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man, u forget things so fast: remember this?

i mentioned tencent being share holder of both companies in conflict, guess what special guest did u invite here? Erodogan!
I know, not blaming you for going off topic.

I was just saying let's discuss the politics somewhere else.

But also tencent only has a small holding in both companies I believe.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i really dont understand that frying pan thing, left 4 dead 2 had a frying pan as a signature weapon and even tf2 had this weapon as a reference..
and i do believe there was another game before with the frying pan as a signature weapon? not to mention the cartoons overused comedian prop
conker bad fur day where conkers melee attack is a frying pan
ssbm peach smash can be a golf club,frying pan or some other things.

seriously alot of games used frying pan as a weapon for ages.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really dont understand that frying pan thing, left 4 dead 2 had a frying pan as a signature weapon and even tf2 had this weapon as a reference..
and i do believe there was another game before with the frying pan as a signature weapon? not to mention the cartoons overused comedian prop

better than a purple sex toy, Imagine beating up some poor gamer with one after they start to bleed out talk about twisting the knife in the back :rofl2:

Last edited by chrisrlink,

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is funny. Back when the Sega Master System was around, it put out clones of Nintendo games left and right, but no one sued them that I am aware of. Sega was just expanding they genre in my mind.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I guess there was no smoking gun. They were just spouting nonsense. They got salty and tilted all the way.
They should've thought about it as a competition and focus on improving their game rather than waste resources on this bs.

Kdfan35

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is funny. Back when the Sega Master System was around, it put out clones of Nintendo games left and right, but no one sued them that I am aware of. Sega was just expanding they genre in my mind.
please help me this is the only way I know how to contact you

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lead programmer/designer is a major league asshat who thinks that he invented the battle royale genre, and that nobody else is allowed to have any success there if he's not privy to it as well.

seriously, the dude's dev blogs read like the kind of pissant whining that you'd only hear from OG Crytek. He's entitled as hell and just can't stand the notion that anybody else was able to do his genre better than him.

Let's not forget that pretty much every successful game has clones/copycats since I dunno the dawn of computer gaming. I think this guy needs a history lesson.

Every successful game has seen it's share of copycats, they way to show them up is to make a game better than your competition who you believe is stealing from you....problem solved.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you thought you'd only have a mere single Fortnite lawsuit scandal on the front page today, you were wrong.
I'm still thinking that, to be honest. A company backing out of a lawsuit doesn't exactly strike me as a scandal. More like a reaching of agreement of the involved parties. :)

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still thinking that, to be honest. A company backing out of a lawsuit doesn't exactly strike me as a scandal. More like a reaching of agreement of the involved parties. :)
Could have been solved behind closed doors. If they really had a case they wouldn't have backed down without a settlement.
$$$

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My guess is they settled for a small chunk of dough.

Of course they don't want to encourage anyone to sue them so they aren't gonna reveal the settlement figure.
They probably just dropped it completely. PUBG doesn't own the concept of battle royales (nor can you own the genre or general concept for a game) and an unjust lawsuit could open them up to massive couner suit where Epic Games actually would be able to make a case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34