Homebrew PunEmu

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
mighty channels is an emulator. So are the emulators in punemu. I think he's asking to play wiiware/VC from DVD.

@sickpuppy: I don't think you should get your hopes up, mate. mighty channels is still in beta, and depends on more than just a fakesigned IOS to work. Furthermore, mighty channels doesn't support save redirection (it isn't even on a to-do list), which means that the games wouldn't play to begin with.

Not to get off topic, but maybe storing the emulated nand and Wiiware wads on the usb or sd would be more of a reality, and creating a multiISO backup disc containing ISO forwarders would be realistic.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have looked into what you are asking about. right now, it is just a pipe dream, and i have not done anything at all to see if it will work. but my idea is to extract the contents of a channel and build an iso with them. and patch the functions in the main.dol to look in the DVD for files instead of the NAND.

looking around in the system menu, there are functions called something like
content_nand_open(), content_nand_cose(), content_nand_read(), content_nand_seek(), content_dvd_open(), content_dvd_cose(), content_dvd_read(), and content_dvd_seek()
im thinking that adding a call to init the dvd lib and patching the *_nand_" functions to call the *_dvd_* functions would all playing channels from a iso/wbfs. anyways, maybe one day i will get around to looking into this, or maybe somebody else that is more interested in it can look into it.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks too complicated for me, but it would be nice to just stick in a disc or use a usb loader for wiiware, instead of the whole emulated nand scene, first it was triiforce mrc, then ISO forwarders, and then finally Mighty channels. Also, it would give the hardmod users something to look forward to. pumemu is great, I searched for so long on how to create an image like this for the Wii.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
giantpune said:
i have looked into what you are asking about. right now, it is just a pipe dream, and i have not done anything at all to see if it will work. but my idea is to extract the contents of a channel and build an iso with them. and patch the functions in the main.dol to look in the DVD for files instead of the NAND.
Erm...do I read this idea correctly as converting channels into custom wii games?
smile.gif

thatfloorguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic work. I saw a youtube vid you posted and had a forwarder for this. Have you made the forwarder open to the public? If so I would love to have it. Thanks again for all your hard work, this is amazing!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't do disk loading. EVER.

I might just start. (Or use CFG Loader. Or just keep using each individual emu.)

Regardless of what I do or don't do, this is VERY cool pune!

Keep up the awesome work with your amazing homebrew and tools. I will soon be using ohne...uhh, your NAND builder tool to (hopefully) fix a friend's Wii. And I might make a disk for this just for the awesomeness factor. Hell, I'll burn it to a Lightscribe disk and make a label for it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A question: is it possible to run a PunEmu disc under uneek+di?

My tests thus far say 'no', but I may be missing something (a trucha-bugged IOS, perhaps?).

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sneek has its own ES module, and doesnt care about the signatures. the only thing i can think of that would keep it from working is the partition handling. when each dol starts, it tries to close and then open the partition. i believe sneek's DI will throw an error if you try to close a partition that is not already open. it will panic, spit out an error through the debug output, and then hang.

if you try it and you get this behavior, then you would need to adjust the way the partition handling is done.

Kaediz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hellboy2010 said:
I already fixed.
the problem was my sd I changed it and now the emulator sega works perfectly.
the rare thing is that with the other emulators if it was compatible but not with the sega.

thanks again giantpune

Hey may I ask what SD card you are using??? I have the exact same problem....
sleep.gif

(or anyone else who has the genesis emulator working)

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting a black screen when loading this even though your Wii can play custom discs ???

lecture.gif
Problem solved by removing a 3rd party gc mem card that was in Slot B
biggrin.gif

Again thanks GP for giving us novice coders something easy to build from and customise to our needs, and wimm for the tools to make this easier
biggrin.gif

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in case anybody else is getting this, it is because libogc sees the cheepo memory card and thinks it is a usbgecko. then the calls to send debug output say "oh snap, there is a usb gecko here. ill send this text and wait for it to be read". and it sends some text and waits for something to read it. and waits. and waits. and waits. and you get a black screen as it continues to wait. and wait...

it can be fixed by 1) editing the dols to either not send any debug output, or to use the non-safe calls when sending it, 2) fixing libogc so it can tell the difference between a usbgecko and the cheepo memory card, or 3) removing the memory card from the wii.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Hey giant,
Do you know if any of your emulator code extensions have been included into the emulator projects?
Same questions in other words:
Do the most current emulator releases support punemu?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I don't really see how emulator could "support" PunEmu, there is no point to that, it's like asking if emulators are supporting the homebrew channel... don't forget PunEmu is basically a loader that just use emulators for its own need and modified a few bits of their code so they can load ROM from disc partitions, those code "extensions" as you call them, don't have any need outside that project so there is no point to include them in the official project. Or did you mean something else ?

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think my stuff was not really extensions, but more replacements. i have replaced the ability to read from iso9660 DVDs with the ability to read from the wii disc filesystem. I dont think any of the official emulators has adopted this change, or will care to do it anytime in the future.

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty sweet...will it still load from HDD? I wish that someone would come out with an awesome coverflow for these emuators...I know there are one or two out there...but I wish there was one similar to wiiflow coverflow...prolly just dreamin'!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You know about the 'cover'-mods from Tantric's emulators, right? I think these are as good as you're going to get right now.

It won't be supported by punemu, though (unless perhaps if you ask giantpune in a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllly sweet way?
tongue.gif
). No wonder: it'd be almost a full-time job keeping up with all the mods and patches of those emulators.

The result is an iso that is pretty much exactly the same as a wii game, so yes, it can be run from an USB drive. I've never quite figured out how to use it in UNEEK+DI, though (if someone does, would you mind telling me how?
smile.gif
).

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
You know about the 'cover'-mods from Tantric's emulators, right? I think these are as good as you're going to get right now.

It won't be supported by punemu, though (unless perhaps if you ask giantpune in a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllly sweet way?
tongue.gif
). No wonder: it'd be almost a full-time job keeping up with all the mods and patches of those emulators.

The result is an iso that is pretty much exactly the same as a wii game, so yes, it can be run from an USB drive. I've never quite figured out how to use it in UNEEK+DI, though (if someone does, would you mind telling me how?
smile.gif
).
I was just wondering if it would load roms from hdd still....I love the way to choose what emulator I want...like this is set up...but it would be cool if I could still load roms from hdd....tried it and it doesn't pick up HDD....I know of the cover mod......I just wish there was a cover flow like wiiflow....or if I could get that damn wad2iso to work (tried numerous times....every time unsuccessful!)

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giantpune, 2 things....first this is awesome!!! Been looking for something like this for awhile....second, would it be possible to update the emulators with the latest....maybe even the ones with cover capabilities????? Even though i said two things....third would it also be possible to have an alternate heath screen? I want my kids to use this. Even though I appreciate the health screen as it is. I don't even know if you look at this thread anymore but I thought I would try...

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2, yes, but you will have to copy/paste my changes into never versions of the emulators and build them
3. yes, but you will have to replace the image in the source and rebuild it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH