Hacking [Q]upgrading from a9lh to boot9strap- why and how?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,916
  • Replies 51

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@dubbz82 If Aurora Wright wanted to use her leverage to move people towards sighax it sure worked for me. I panicked and moved to sighax once I read she'd stop supporting a9lh.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@dubbz82 Yeah I agree with you, this is soon going to be a problem, most people don't feel the need to be on the latest hack at every given time they just want one that works.

Reactions: julienbdes

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what of the people that don't frequently check the forums?
If they're not checking for updates, they won't know there is one right? And when they find out there is, (here, word of mouth, etc) they will surely use a bit of common sense and ask, or you know read large text on Github on the newest release...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen people say that it may allow us to bypass the 300 title limit. Is this true, or does this still require someone to figure out whats going on somewhere in the 3DS and change whatever about it that needs to be changed? I'm going to make the upgrade, but that factor right there will make me get on it immediately

D

Deleted User

OP
I've seen people say that it may allow us to bypass the 300 title limit. Is this true, or does this still require someone to figure out whats going on somewhere in the 3DS and change whatever about it that needs to be changed? I'm going to make the upgrade, but that factor right there will make me get on it immediately
the 300 limit is afaik a "problem" with the home menu, not with anything else, and it has nothing to do with how you boot your cfw.

anyways I did upgrade (for no reason.. its the same shit..) so ppl stop shit-talking here!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 300 limit is afaik a "problem" with the home menu, not with anything else, and it has nothing to do with how you boot your cfw.

anyways I did upgrade (for no reason.. its the same shit..) so ppl stop shit-talking here!
No, they aren't even remotely the same thing. An excerpt from @SciresM via reddit:

Things sighax allows that arm9loaderhax doesn't:
  • Execution without the OTP region being locked out.
  • Unfixable installation for anyone with a hardmod or an arm9 exploit.
  • Dumping of the ARM11 protected bootrom.
  • There could potentially be further vulnerabilities that, combined with sighax, could allow for dumping of the ARM9 protected bootrom. This is kind of moot, though, since sighax will require a dump of the ARM9 protected bootrom to release.
  • A cleaner execution environment for developers.
While most of the stuff isn't relevant to the end user, it opens a wide variety of possibility for devs to implement new/better things into their programs with "no holes bared" so-to-speak. Which in turn, will be beneficial to anyone using these current majicks. :D

Well that and it can't be soft-patched by Nintendo at all. Period. A9LH could have been if they cared to do so.....

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
No, they aren't even remotely the same thing. An excerpt from @SciresM via reddit:

• There could potentially be further vulnerabilities that, combined with sighax, could allow for dumping of the ARM9 protected bootrom. This is kind of moot, though, since sighax will require a dump of the ARM9 protected bootrom to release.
While most of the stuff isn't relevant to the end user, it opens a wide variety of possibility for devs to implement new/better things into their programs with "no holes bared" so-to-speak. Which in turn, will be beneficial to anyone using these current majicks. :D

Well that and it can't be soft-patched by Nintendo at all. Period. A9LH could have been if they cared to do so.....
Just a question - doesn't B9S allow boot9 dumping already?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are saying SigHax =/= B9S, others say it's the same. ??
Derrek's release is essentially the equivalent of directly installing something Luma to your NAND and giving it a sighax signature. It'll be slightly faster since it doesn't have any intermediary payload such as boot9strap, but it also would be more dangerous to update and maintain because you'd have to write to NAND for every update rather than just putting a new boot.firm on your SD.

Reactions: VMM
D

Deleted User

OP

does this enable some homebrew programmers to make something awesome-er that they cant now? no
do those dumping thingies add anything to me enjoying my games and homebrew? no
why have I done this? boredom, maybe. to postpond my HW another 30 mins.. also maybe..

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does this enable some homebrew programmers to make something awesome-er that they cant now? no
why have I done this? boredom, maybe. to postpond my HW another 30 mins.. also maybe..
Dude, it literally JUST came out. Wait for people to figure out what they can do now vs what they couldn't before in terms of development. Those "dumping thingies" might very well lead to homebrews/games that you might enjoy, later. Why so much hostility about the hype just because it made no difference for you in the first five minutes you installed it? Instant gratification much? Sheesh......

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're not checking for updates, they won't know there is one right? And when they find out there is, (here, word of mouth, etc) they will surely use a bit of common sense and ask, or you know read large text on Github on the newest release...

You're presuming that they'll check github after a system update is released. This is actually a rather large presumption to make.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're presuming that they'll check github after a system update is released. This is actually a rather large presumption to make.
Hardly, people using these types of things should know they require updates. If they don't and end up with a non working system, sorry not sorry. Ignorance is not bliss.

JoaoAlejandro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I came to check the benefits of b9s and if it's necessary to do the update... but seems like it's basically useless and you can't even do the updates, huh? Well, seems like i'm not doing it anytime soon.

Hardly, people using these types of things should know they require updates. If they don't and end up with a non working system, sorry not sorry. Ignorance is not bliss.

Reactions: iAqua

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came to check the benefits of b9s and if it's necessary to do the update... but seems like it's basically useless and you can't even do the updates, huh? Well, seems like i'm not doing it anytime soon.
You can update at any time by following https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s. Benefits of updating? More Luma3DS support and people will stop telling you to update to b9s.

JoaoAlejandro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
aka more "features" that you don't need

is this really a reason?

No. But every other Luma post I'm seeing (or was seeing) is "update to boot9strap" and wouldn't offer the advice the user wanted when someone had an issue.

I have to admit i'm kind of a noob though, i previously installed cfw (arm9) succesfully and it worked great for months, i even did the system updates so i could keep playing online but i think i never updated luma... when they say luma won't support arm9 anymore, what does this mean? Will i still be able to play online even if they stop supporting luma?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu