GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Some time ago, I think I read an article about the future of 3D in TVs. It said that two possibilities existed:

Use your standard HDTV with a special reciever and special shutter glasses, or

Make 3D-ready TV's that showed two images at the same time (as opposed to alternating two points of view frame-by-frame) and being able to see that with polarizing, electronic-less glasses like those in theaters, which would mean a more expensive TV but dead-cheap glasses.

A few months later, I read this article about 3D TVs that says you need a 3DTV, AND the expensive shutter glasses with a reciever? What happened to that other possibility? Or did I just misinterpret one of the articles?

NOTE: I know this really isn't 3DS discussion, but I thought that people looking forward to 3DS probably knew about this. Still, feel free to move this mods
smile.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, I was shocked about this as well when I first heard it. So my guess is that the 3D-tvs has some built in synch stuff for the glasses, and is guaranteed to be 100Hz (or 120 Hz for an 60 Hz output for each eye)..
I've heard something about 100Hz tvs when it comes to hd-tvs are'nt real 100Hz... something... Might be something like that.

(and here I am, one studying and starting the fifth year in this area and still not understanding why there are separate tv sets to buy for 3d ¬_¬ )

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
So these 3DTVs are just HDTVs with very high refresh rates and a built-in reciever... that makes sense. But what about the other kind of 3DTV, the one that showed two images at the same time and used simple and cheap (I guess polarized) glasses? Was that my imagination, or did that idea really exist?

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Well wouldn't you just need double the amount of horizontal pixels? You know like the 3DS. Instead of having half the pixels pointing in one direction and the other half pointing to another, half of the pixels would be polarized in X way and the other half would be polarized in a Y way.

I really don't know what I'm talking about, but you get the idea
smile.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not something i've really read into, but I know that's hard to do on a LCD. I believe it's something like because an ordinary LCD screen already has a pair of Polarizing filters, which means it wouldn't work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

To do it on an LCD you need something called a 'silver screen' which adds a lot of cost, to the point where no one would realy buy it over the active shutter screens.

OLED being self illuminating, doesn't need these filters. Hence why it could work and is something they are already working on

http://www.oled-display.net/3d-oled-television

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
I remember when they showed the first football (soccer) match being broadcasted in 3D and the news footage showed Sir Alan using polarised Real D glasses while watching it on a 3D TV.

Ok found a similar footage. Yes you can buy a 3D TV that doesn't use Active Shutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHS86kZ1mM&feature=fvw

The match was broadcasted on SkySports 3D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1