[Question] Is it possible to record gameplay footage without using a computer on a PS Vita?

sonictopfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I’m aware of the OBS method but my laptop is veeeery slow to run it decently, also I heard the audio isn’t recorded which is an issue since the game I wanna record is a rhythm game.

Is there an app to record the PS Vita screen natively like on your phone?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hayato213 might be able to help. I think there's a capture card thing for both 3ds and vita, but it's expensive, especially if you have to have it installed. I know nothing about it myself, just know it exists.

Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m aware of the OBS method but my laptop is veeeery slow to run it decently, also I heard the audio isn’t recorded which is an issue since the game I wanna record is a rhythm game.

Pretty sure you need a capture unit or use a pstv if you want smooth video capturing.

Reactions: godreborn

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think the best solution (if your wallet can handle it) is getting a PS Vita TV/PlayStation TV and a way to strip out the HDCP signal, then feeding that to a PC through a capture card.

I have this setup and it works extremely well and is definitely going to be cheaper than a Vita internal capture card + installation (if such a thing does exist, I dunno).

sonictopfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I appreciate the responses but honestly if I was to buy new hardware I might just get a new computer that can handle OBS at this point, I’d really like a PS TV or a third party dock to the Vita though not for capturing game footage but just for playing on TV.

I was hoping for a recording app since from what I understand the PS Vita architecture is kind of similar to Android.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think the best solution (if your wallet can handle it) is getting a PS Vita TV/PlayStation TV and a way to strip out the HDCP signal, then feeding that to a PC through a capture card.

I have this setup and it works extremely well and is definitely going to be cheaper than a Vita internal capture card + installation (if such a thing does exist, I dunno).
Capture card kits for the PS Vita exist..... but are quite expensive (and difficult to install).

You can order them here:

https://optimize.ath.cx/shop_oversea/shop_oversea.html

Reactions: sonictopfan

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Except they are all 3ds not for vita.
You have to look under order items

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 18-05-36 Optimize Shop for overseas.png

Reactions: Hayato213

iokiu-0_0-

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

it is possible to record vita footage on phones, but the result wont be good

take a look at my gameplay recording, and let me know if they are good enough for you

I have been recording gameplay footage, I can tell you a few things:
1)
you dont need OBS
using Camera (Windows 10 built-in app) + bluetooth audio dongle(fairly cheap, about 5USD?), is the best + cheapest way to record decent gameplay footage
2)
bluetooth audio is the only way to be noise-free
you will get noisy recording if you use the audio jack port, even with USB charging option disabled
3)
if you use vita-udcd-uvc for video out
then you may want to stick with 544p, 720p may cause vita to shut down randomly
4)
youtube will compress 544p to 480p
if you need better quality on youtube, upscale the video from 544p to 720p before uploading
i never bother to do that though

Last edited by iokiu-0_0-,

Catt9ine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is possible to record vita footage on phones, but the result wont be good

take a look at my gameplay recording, and let me know if they are good enough for you

I have been recording gameplay footage, I can tell you a few things:
1)
you dont need OBS
using Camera (Windows 10 built-in app) + bluetooth audio dongle(fairly cheap, about 5USD?), is the best + cheapest way to record decent gameplay footage
2)
bluetooth audio is the only way to be noise-free
you will get noisy recording if you use the audio jack port, even with USB charging option disabled
3)
if you use vita-udcd-uvc for video out
then you may want to stick with 544p, 720p may cause vita to shut down randomly
4)
youtube will compress 544p to 480p
if you need better quality on youtube, upscale the video from 544p to 720p before uploading
i never bother to do that though

I think he was saying that his pc was slow, and as far as I know OBS it lighter than any of Microsoft's stuff. However what you're saying would work great for anyone with a decent computer.

For sonictopman, try to clean your storage THOUROGHLY, I have a terrible Windows 8 laptop and I got it working up to speed by deleting a bunch of stuff (even deleting some stuff that starts up on boot in task manager). Other than that, you could buy more RAM or a better CPU but at that point you could buy a new computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...