Homebrew [QUESTION] Python Homebrew Development Library

bennyman123abc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! I have a very simple and short question. I was wondering if a Python library for 3DS homebrew development existed currently. I do not have development experience in C++ and very little in C however, Python is the language I've been working with for a couple years now and would feel more comfortable developing homebrew in Python if possible. Thank you for reading and as always, happy hacking!

D

Deleted User

Yeah, but IIRC that doesn't have wrappers for 3DS System Calls.

A lesser-known but excellent Python library is 3DS_Monty by ObsidianX. It's a port of MicroPython, has wrappers for 3DS System Calls (done in ctrulib), and you could probably make a basic game with it. It's in MicroPython, though, so there are a few differences between that and normal ol' Python (mainly pertaining to multiple inheritance, given from what I've read).

bennyman123abc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but IIRC that doesn't have wrappers for 3DS System Calls.

A lesser-known but excellent Python library is 3DS_Monty by ObsidianX. It's a port of MicroPython, has wrappers for 3DS System Calls (done in ctrulib), and you could probably make a basic game with it. It's in MicroPython, though, so there are a few differences between that and normal ol' Python (mainly pertaining to multiple inheritance, given from what I've read).
Thank you for this. I will take a look into it right now!

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Thank you for this. I will take a look into it right now!
Yep.

One note about sound support; it has NDSP wrappers that allow you to play WAV files, however, it doesn't stream them, so either make your WAV files as small as possible or implement streaming yourself.

Also, IIRC, threading isn't implemented, so you can't use that.

I'm actually considering forking the port and adding a few features to it (it hasn't been updated in over a year), but, given my track record, I'm not sure how far that's going to go.

D

Deleted User

Why would you want an interpreted language for homebrew as opposed to native code? Just seems like a pain in the ass like LUA.
MicroPython isn't just a straight-up port of Python; it's an actual rewrite to make sure the language is as optimized as possible. It was originally used for microcontrollers. Therefore, it's more optimized than something along the lines of Lua Player Plus.

Also, whatever gets more people making homebrew, the better, in my opinion. I know that not everyone shares this view.

Reactions: Joom

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Also, whatever gets more people making homebrew, the better, in my opinion. I know that not everyone shares this view.
Sure, people could use whatever they want, and more power to them. I wholeheartedly welcome it. However, from a development perspective, it'd seem more sane to go with something natively supported. That's just me, though.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Sure, people could use whatever they want, and more power to them. I wholeheartedly welcome it. However, from a development perspective, it'd seem more sane to go with something natively supported. That's just me, though.
Yeah, and from that perspective, it'd be better to go with something like C++ (or heck, just C). However, a lot of people (myself included) are better with Python than with the likes of C or C++, so it would help make the development of simple file-swapping homebrew and basic games easier.

Though I see your point. For low-level homebrew, or just tech-demos, C/++ is the way to go. Especially with Rosalina sitting on a large chunk of memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries