• Replies 3,824
  • Likes 6

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
a) there's no need to copy everything back and forth to convert a HDD from WBFS to FAT32 (sig)
unless you already formated you can still save yourself half the trouble

b) there are two file formats that can be used on normal HDDs
.iso which is normally 4.7GB and .wbfs which is normally much smaller (same as on a WBFS partition)
WBM can use both, there should be a config option or something like it
iirc the default is to create .wbfs files, so maybe you already changed it

ab15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please Help.
I Have the latest full version dios mios and gamecube games are working fine with the usb loader gx. The HDD is fat32. However the wii games are not working (the screen just turns black). My friend has the same exact files of the games and they are working for him.

wingzrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all my games on an extrnl usb WBFS drive. Is there any way to add gamecube isos to it thtough USBloader GX, or some external PC program? I hate only being able to play and backup my gamecube games to memory cards.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have all my games on an extrnl usb WBFS drive. Is there any way to add gamecube isos to it thtough USBloader GX, or some external PC program?
While there were some misguided tools that stored GC games on WBFS partitions this will not help you.
Both DM(L) and Devolution only read from FAT. There is no other option.
But since modern cios can read Wii from FAT too thats not that much of a problem.

Imho it would be best to use a single FAT32 partition.
Fortunatly its there's a easy and fast way to convert (sig) or do the traditional backup, format, restore way.

If you want to continue using WBFS you have to split the space into two partitions.
For that theres only the traditional way, take care to create the FAT first.

No Real Pattern

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this question earlier in the configurable USB loader thread since that's what I was using, but I'll cross post it here too, since it seems like more of a general question actually.

Every time I try to start the usb loader I must unplug my usb hd or else the program never opens. If I do unplug it everything goes fine and I can plug it in when it starts to look for it. Is this a problem with the hdd I'm using or is it something I can fix in the settings?

This problem also extends to opening other stuff, like the homebrew channel. Won't work if the USB hdd is plugged in. I really appreciate any help you guys can give me (and please make it easy to follow for a newbie, I'm barely familiar with this stuff)

Genyus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, apparently it seems that USB Loader GX now also loads from FAT32 partitions?! I was still rolling my old WBFS partition but I really love the idea of just using a FAT32 for my Wii games, so I formatted it to a FAT32 one. I used the tutorial which let's you save your WBFS games but I still managed to lose them in a different process. Now I'm wondering how exactly do I set up my USB Loader GX to play games from a FAT32 partition?

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently installed DIOS MIOS for a friend and now Wii games will not load for him (black screen) though Gamecube now will. He used to use NTFS and obviously he moved to FAT 32, the game rips are 100% fine by me, we use identical HDDs and we both use USB Loader GX what could be his issue?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
a) there's no need to copy everything back and forth to convert a HDD from WBFS to FAT32 (sig)
unless you already formated you can still save yourself half the trouble

b) there are two file formats that can be used on normal HDDs
.iso which is normally 4.7GB and .wbfs which is normally much smaller (same as on a WBFS partition)
WBM can use both, there should be a config option or something like it
iirc the default is to create .wbfs files, so maybe you already changed it

Wii iso's aren't 4.7 Gb like dvd-r's. Wii iso's are standard 4.37 GB in size.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wii iso's aren't 4.7 Gb like dvd-r's. Wii iso's are standard 4.37 GB in size.
at least the isos wiims wit produces are the size of recordable DVDs

they are almost exactly 4.7GB (well they are 20.224KB short)
while DVD+Rs (by 0.372 MB) and DVD-R (by 7.320 MB) are a bit larger than the 4.7GB they advertise

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
at least the isos wiims wit produces are the size of recordable DVDs

they are almost exactly 4.7GB (well they are 20.224KB short)
while DVD+Rs (by 0.372 MB) and DVD-R (by 7.320 MB) are a bit larger than the 4.7GB they advertise
That may be, but any properly fully dumped original disc will be 4.37 gb in size and NOT 4.7 GB.
Exception is the Dual layer format
If you would burn and then re-rip a DVD COPY or a convertion to .iso of the game the iso would be 4.7gb
Try doing a rawdump

Genyus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's been a while since I first modded my Wii so forgive me for being a little outdated, but I got two questions:

1. Is it true you can now play backup games from a FAT32 partition, thus removing the need for a WBFS one? and if so, does anyone have a tutorial to go with that or do you simply have to copy the raw .iso to the HDD?

2. I recently lost all my games in a format of my HDD but there was a mixture of PAL and NTSC games, is there any way I can check my save files so I can get the right copy again?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
4,700,000,000/1024/1024/1024 = 4.37...
Perfect example why we need to finally get that shit cleaned up
normal DVDs are about 4,700,000,000 Bytes which are 4.70 GB (Giga Bytes) or 4.37 GiB (Giga binary Bytes)*
Wii Discs are about the same size actually
but some shitty tools use the value in GiB but call it GB
so he read that and got confused
*: G or Giga means "times 1,000,000,000" (or 10^9)
Gi or Giga-binary "times 1073741824" (or 2^30 or 1024^3)

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's been a while since I first modded my Wii so forgive me for being a little outdated, but I got two questions:
-you can use fat or ntfs for loading
-on ntfs you can simply use the .iso if you want
-on both you can use smaller .wbfs file too
-you can use WBM (WiiBackupManager) to comfortably copy games

look for a savegame manager that displays the games ID6

Genyus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-on both you can use smaller .wbfs file too
-you can use WBM (WiiBackupManager) to comfortably copy games
look for a savegame manager that displays the games ID6
Thanks for the info! Got the savegames figured out now. As for the Wii games, do I need to convert the .iso into a .wbfs using WBM and then copy it to my FAT32 HDD?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for the info! Got the savegames figured out now. As for the Wii games, do I need to convert the .iso into a .wbfs using WBM and then copy it to my FAT32 HDD?
You do not NEED to use WBM but I think its the best way
It can create the .wbfs file directly on the target drive too, no need for two steps

Genyus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You do not NEED to use WBM but I think its the best way
It can create the .wbfs file directly on the target drive too, no need for two steps
I know I don't necessarily need to use WBM but you are right, it's a very nice and clear program. Thanks for the answers, got it all running again now. :D

earlynovfan

Delusional
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, so I use USB Loader GX and it has been working great. But it won't load Twilight Princess or Brawl. (My uncle gave me a bunch of games). Then I added some new ones and they couldn't be found.
I then got Wiiflow and everything was found, I tried to load Twilight Princess and it didn't work. Then I tried a new game I got (Kirby Collection) and that didn't work either.
All the games I originally got worked, but the new ones don't?

And yes, I am aware you need to name the folders after the .wbfs file.

~Cheers! :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hi, so I use USB Loader GX and it has been working great. But it won't load Twilight Princess or Brawl. (My uncle gave me a bunch of games). Then I added some new ones and they couldn't be found.
I then got Wiiflow and everything was found, I tried to load Twilight Princess and it didn't work. Then I tried a new game I got (Kirby Collection) and that didn't work either.
All the games I originally got worked, but the new ones don't?

And yes, I am aware you need to name the folders after the .wbfs file.

~Cheers! :)
Hmm, well, as far as games not showing up, make sure you don't have any favorites or categories set. That might help. I know you said you got the names right but, just to be sure, I always just use Wii Backup Manager to "transfer" the game to the drive. That way I know it's in the right format, place, name, etc.

As far as games not working, did you do an update recently or something. You could always re-mod with ModMii just in case. You could also try temporarily moving settings files so it makes new ones in case they're what's breaking stuff. Doing a chkdsk on your drives and then defragging them might be a good idea in case it's because the drive or games got corrupted or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P