Gaming Quick question about Nintendo 3DS

biberwoke95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My kids each want a 3DS both have saved enough money to purchase one.... but I'd like to know if this is a good system to buy at this time. As in, is there something newer, better coming out in the near future? I'd hate for them to get something now, then they are rocking the old Gen in a couple months. This is their 1st big purchase and 1st gaming system so I'd like it to last a bit, before new games as support falter off. Thank you.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, Nintendo hasn't announced a successor to the 3ds. there's the switch which will probably be Nintendo's only console 'til the switch 2. they've bridged portable and console, so there may never be a second console.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is the last generation for Nintendo handheld, no more new games for the 3ds, but if you hack it there is plenty to play, as for the 3ds , it got replaced by the Nintendo Switch as current generation.

Reactions: fmkid

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a solid system, which could last a while thanks to its pretty complete catalogue, but bear in mind it is not a current system. The only new things being made for 3DS are homebrew apps and hacks. As the others have said, the Switch is the current system that's being supported.

That being said, if they haven't had time to play a 3ds before, and say that you go through the process of hacking it to avoid having to buy games, it's an incredibly economical purchase, with a very deep pool of titles to play. I'm still playing mine because I haven't gone through my backlog of games on it yet. If you feel your kids can pirate responsibly, between a 3DS/2DS and an SD card, it's hard to beat.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want something from current generation of gaming devices the 2|3DS is not one of them (see above). If you and/or your kids insist on a Nintendo device with official support and new games to come: The Switch or Switch Lite.

That said, I really don't get it why something should be less interesting and enjoyable just because it is a bit older and out of official support. The 3DS is a good system and you can get used games pretty cheaply. Officially it supports 3DS games as well as backwards compatibility to DS games. Unofficially, with the use of custom firmware, you get access to good emulators for (S)NES and GB(C) and more. In addition to that a 3DS is technically also a GBA (without GBA cartridge slot) and can run those games natively. For installing custom firmware → https://3ds.hacks.guide/

You will find help and support for 3DS questions/problems here on the forum.

I personally recommend getting New 3DS or New 3DS XL because of better technical specs. Keep in mind that the New 2DS XL has a lower build quality and the upper screen can be more easily damaged than on the 3DS consoles (and is a nightmare to replace).

Good luck and have fun!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My kids each want a 3DS both have saved enough money to purchase one....
Do they already know what particular games they want to play..?

It is tempting to suggest the old, durable 2DS, but if the 3D is the big draw, then I guess nothing else will do. On the other hand, most games didn't make very good use of the 3D effect and a lot of people find it annoying.

This is their 1st big purchase and 1st gaming system so I'd like it to last a bit, before new games as support falter off.
As others have noted, there aren't really going to be any more new games of interest.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Having both Switch and 2DS/3DS systems, I can say that the 2DS/3DS systems offer an amazing game library that can keep them entertained for a few months or even years, so the lack of new games wound't be a problem, as far as I can tell. And if you dig a bit, you will find the best of them easily selling online or at your local game retailer shop even if they are used. Alternatively, you can install CFW as it was mentioned above and get the best use of your console. Although Nintendo no longer offers support to the consoles from the 2DS/3DS family, as it does with the Switch, it's still a nice system with amazing titles.

On the other hand, the Switch, that is heading towards its fifth year of existence, is a home console that offers portability (even if it's bigger than the 2DS/3DS) to allow you or your kids to play on the go as much as at home and includes not only new great games but also remakes of the best titles from the Wii U. It can also be hacked but, in my opinion, it's not as straight forward as the 3DS at the moment, but it's still doable if you follow the right guide step by step. Just make sure the consoles you get are not patched through their S/N. Please check this thread for more information on this.

Just try to explain this clearly to your kids and show them a few YouTube videos to make sure you meet their expectations. Otherwise, you may end up buying a 3DS and in a few months they will want the Switch for having certain games in its library that the 3DS doesn't or for being a more recent console. :)

Last edited by tfocosta,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Fieryblu42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 3ds does have good games on it but alas it isnt being supported anymore so beware of limited game choices but im sure they'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1