Hacking R.I.P. Public CDNSP Cert. as Nintendo Getting Better

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why don’t you just keep your trap shut and let users find out for themselves advertising the fact brings in attention and this is just how it’s brought down! Think before you comment!
“op updated” yeah nice one!

Why don't you tone down the aggressiveness and realize that it doesn't MATTER if it's advertised here or nt. Do you really think the server only has ONE cert? They have PLENTY. Nintendo may know that a cert is active but they don't know WHICH ONE is active, not until it starts getting used

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry to ask but, that discord server you are talking about that has a new cert working... someone can send me a PM with invitation please?
a.png

Sorry if you don't find us welcoming, but you have to understand
...what am I talking about, this place is chock-full of people who would happily let any spies in without second thoughts. :P

Reactions: mmajunkie77

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Why don't you tone down the aggressiveness and realize that it doesn't MATTER if it's advertised here or nt. Do you really think the server only has ONE cert? They have PLENTY. Nintendo may know that a cert is active but they don't know WHICH ONE is active, not until it starts getting used
No I wont, if people stop talking about it and advertise the fact we have a public certificate available then the sooner it will get taken down! and no your wrong, there is not an endless supply of public certificates to throw around so it will be the likes of you that will end up complaining when it is!

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No I wont, if people stop talking about it and advertise the fact we have a public certificate available then the sooner it will get taken down! and no your wrong, there is not an endless supply of public certificates to throw around so it will be the likes of you that will end up complaining when it is!

1)I never said the supply was ENDLESS, don't you go putting words in my mouth
2)Your aggressiveness is unneeded and unnecessary
3)Just KNOWING that a certain cert is live doesn't mean shit. Even if nothing was advertised, as soon as people started using it, Nintendo WOULD KNOW. Knowing that one is available isn't going to make Nintendo work faster at banning it
So stop your bitching, stop your complaining because it's not getting you anywhere

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its to protect the cert from getting banned in 4 hours
There are however many million units out there, and it performs a service of convenience as well -- no great loss if it goes. It is nice that Nintendo runs one of the best ROM sites around I guess but there are plenty of other options and have been for years.
So 4 years at 4 hours is 8760 certificates. Pump that to a week and that number is a couple of hundred. Nothing major at all. Set it such that it every week we will release a new one and then another the next week if it is banned (think old school "we have run out of bandwidth for today, come back tomorrow" setups).

Still I am at a loss as to why Nintendo does not handle these quicker -- if it needs a certificate to work then surely such data gets sent one way or another. I assume these download tools don't get routed through a VPN or non transparent proxy. I don't know why Nintendo does not just update it, download a few files (possibly even some false IDs -- nobody is going to download a French version of a film tie in game, a Japanese game update and a North American game that barely sold anything) and nail the certificate whenever they like.

If Nintendo can be arsed to task some junior investigator with finding pokemon making programs (and they do seem to have a bit of an enforcement hardon since the new guy came in) they can similarly follow a few not exactly hidden chatrooms and websites. It would be distasteful to have to use discord rather than a good IM service but if you are being paid then could be worse.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still I am at a loss as to why Nintendo does not handle these quicker -- if it needs a certificate to work then surely such data gets sent one way or another. I assume these download tools don't get routed through a VPN or non transparent proxy. I don't know why Nintendo does not just update it, download a few files (possibly even some false IDs -- nobody is going to download a French version of a film tie in game, a Japanese game update and a North American game that barely sold anything) and nail the certificate whenever they like.

They might be wary about banning someone just because their system detected it was probably being used improperly. As time goes on then I would expect they would be able to detect it much quicker.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They might be wary about banning someone just because their system detected it was probably being used improperly. As time goes on then I would expect they would be able to detect it much quicker.

Whatever method they choose to use, they have to make sure they have 100% no false flags. Same reason bans are 'slow' in general. Right now it seems they do it by log-review or something similar, manually. They can probably add redundancy checks or make it more pro-active like dauth which automates a lot of checks and revocations of access but they may not want to let it get too draconian/fast acting with the tls-cert.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cuuuuuuurrrrrrrrssssseeeeesssssss

Why would even bother pirating a game with such woeful (and bad) single-player content that is almost useless without working online?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"We're sorry, here is $100 in shop credit and 2 years free online".
Would sort most false positive issues.

Problem is, how do you confirm it? How do you even *find* such an auto-banned tls-cert before someone raises a stink (and associated bad PR) because their kid got a false-positive?

In the case of the current bans, since they appear manual or at least based on some degree of logs+threshold of badness, there's no argument or remote possibility of a false-positive.

In reality their best option, which they'll probably eventually bake into it, is to just fix the way atum handles authentication as they've updated shogun. But that would take a major migration or restructuring of their CDN. Or they can just bake in some cross-check with buygo if they find the bandwidth lost to that is less than the bandwidth lost to the people fucking around with a cert.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure I get it... couldn't they just ban a certificate as soon as 2 people are using it at the same time to download?

The CDN doesn't check that, dauth does all the checks and auto-revokes. This doesn't pass dauth because atum isn't behind dauth.

Atum doesn't check anything other than that you have the tls-certificate. It handles updates and other common use things that don't make sense to put behind a ton of checks.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V-Temp
Bruh as a fighting game fan I LOVE that game, could it be a bit more refined yea maybe but I'm digging what it is. If you wanna bash a game go play "SNK Disappointments" and lemme know lmao

I own the game on PC, the game is garbage for single player. Its very good for multiplayer and online but... well... pirating sort of precludes most of that functionality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/rI5IRxpcwDk?si=g8PPkbkjsSuwpjZW +1