Hacking R4 card help needed! Please?

Dragowolf33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a friend who has an R4 card. I asked him to update to v1.4.5 on his DSi XL. The original firmware he had was v1.4.1. The R4 card then stopped working after he updated. I tried on my DSi XL and it worked. (I do have homebrew on it so it would work while my friend doesn't have homebrew.) I really need someone to help with his R4 card since he really wants it working again. I'll send images.

Attachments

• HNI_0047.JPG
    HNI_0047.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 140
  • HNI_0048.JPG
    HNI_0048.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 126
  • HNI_0049.JPG
    HNI_0049.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 142
  • HNI_0050.JPG
    HNI_0050.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 137

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updating the DSi firmware is in general not needed and not a good idea because -- it does almost nothing except blocking older flashcarts. See here:
https://dsibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu

The only reason I can think of for updating to the latest firmware is to visit the (defunct) shop in order to unlock the "Data Management" option in the settings menu which does not appear before visiting the shop at least once.

Possible solutions:
  1. Install custom firmware on the device with 1.4.5 - this should unblock the older R4
    • This requires Flipnote Studio on the DSi or hardmod/soldering at the moment.
    • If the new exploit "Failzone" is released at some point, any DSi will be hackable with software only.
  2. If the R4 can be updated to work with DSi System Menu 1.4.5 and 3DS firmware 7.0.0-13 (and later), update the cartridge
    • Hard to find out what it is without a label.
    • Please upload a picture of the game icon that shows up when inserted into a DS - maybe someone can identify the cart.
  3. Get the R4i Gold 3DS Plus to replace the old R4(?).
    • In my opinion the best flashcart at the moment.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Dragowolf33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Updating the DSi firmware is in general not needed and not a good idea because -- it does almost nothing except blocking older flashcarts. See here:
https://dsibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu

The only reason I can think of for updating to the latest firmware is to visit the (defunct) shop in order to unlock the "Data Management" option in the settings menu which does not appear before visiting the shop at least once.

Possible solutions:
  1. Install custom firmware on the device with 1.4.5 - this should unblock the older R4
    • This requires Flipnote Studio on the DSi or hardmod/soldering at the moment.
    • If the new exploit "Failzone" is released at some point, any DSi will be hackable with software only.
  2. If the R4 can be updated to work with DSi System Menu 1.4.5 and 3DS firmware 7.0.0-13 (and later), update the cartridge
    • Hard to find out what it is.
    • Please upload a picture of the game icon that shows up when inserted into a DS.
  3. Get the R4i Gold 3DS Plus to replace the old R4(?).
    • In my opinion the best flashcart at the moment.

The game Star Wars Lethal Alliance. (I had to use my sister's DS Lite to take the picture using my DSi XL since my phone camera is being annoying)

Attachments

• HNI_0051.JPG
    HNI_0051.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 227

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A