Hacking R4 Game Loading Progress Bar

celentt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone explain why some games have double loading bars when starting a game? and some only have one?

just a little bit curious

Zazie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might either be related to the size of the ROM, or it could just be loading the ROM with it's related .SAV.

Otherwise, not a clue.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I think it's only one loading bar, but sometimes it calculates bad or something and then it use one more.

How techie is that?
rofl2.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think it does [calculate badly, etc]. Well larger games have slower progress bars. I think one of the progress bars is making a save (first time you start a game).
EDIT: Though I do acknowledge the fact there are two loading bars for some games.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've a feeling that it's something like an on-the-fly patching.

The first load bar goes fast, the second (when there is a second one) will move somewhat slower.

Maybe a couple of the recent games that don't work on R4 need that second load bar to work (assuming it's on-the-fly patching)....which likely will require an update from the R4 team.

Also, it does that AFTER the save was created, but only some games do it at all.

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I don't know why this happens but one thing I know is that it doesn't depend on the rom size. For example, FF3 works with only one load bar.

Yes, I suspect some games need more time for the on-the-fly patch.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the save is only 512k, it wouldn't take that long to load that small amount of memory.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
laugh.gif

Some games have the binaries compressed... to patch them it probably has to load it, decompress it, adjust the header and then patch it (it could account for the extra progress at any rate, decompression&patch vs. just load&patch).

edit:/ forgot to mention, M3DSS and R4 both save games directly to the SD card, so it definitely isn't save loading that causes an extra progress bar.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laugh.gif

Some games have the binaries compressed... to patch them it probably has to load it, decompress it, adjust the header and then patch it (it could account for the extra progress at any rate, decompression&patch vs. just load&patch).

edit:/ forgot to mention, M3DSS and R4 both save games directly to the SD card, so it definitely isn't save loading that causes an extra progress bar.

That sounds like about the best possibility. And I agree with Skye too, as long as it works, who really cares. But still, it is a curiosity.

Maybe we should ask over at the official R4 forums.......they upgraded their forums recently, if you haven't checked it out lately.

http://forums.r4ds.net/index.php

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1