Review R4i-SDHC (3DS revision)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If nothing else, it is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest 3DS compatible flashcart. Still R4iDSN seems a much better choice if you have a little more than $6, since it supports Wood R4.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I have had the R4-SDHC for a long time.
They are great flashcarts and certainly NOT cheap clones.
Everyone here with an R4i-SDHC has none of the problems that are in this review.
For me it is very easy to make skins for and has easy navigation.

The reason for them making new cards saying 3DS on them is because a lot of people:
A. Don't want to have to go through the trouble of flashing it once they get it.
B. Cannot flash it because they only own a 3DS/DSi.

I say that this review needs to be written again.
Maybe even written by someone that has more experience with the R4i-SDHC, such as Me or Wasim.

The first time i used my R4-SDHC, i found it very fast and easy to use.
I didn't encounter any problems at all.

Please think about writing a new review.

I'm not trying to come off mean but this review is insufficient, I don't blame minox as it could of been based off a bad card from a bad seller, so he's writing it off of that.

Kegamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 3DS is a card i recently tried out for the first time on my friends 3DS. The interface is smoother then the R4i 1.4.1 (non upgrade model) I have it seems to load roms and other media like my R4i. I like its over all overclock ability for some games. the compnay is going in the right direction with this card. The only draw back is that R4i 1.4.1 Failed in upgrade ability for some cards. The company has not recalled those models. Hopefully in the future they will offer or demand recalls and exchanges to please the consumer.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the R4-SDHC I hate it so much. The menu is SO slow... The game download feature never worked for me as well. Didn't even bother to test lots of games, I do remember I had a game that wasn't working on it. The flashcart can't even be updated if Nintendo updates to a newer firmware on the DSi. I have the 1.4.1 version of this card.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
FireGrey said:
I have had the R4-SDHC for a long time.
They are great flashcarts and certainly NOT cheap clones.
Everyone here with an R4i-SDHC has none of the problems that are in this review.
For me it is very easy to make skins for and has easy navigation.

The reason for them making new cards saying 3DS on them is because a lot of people:
A. Don't want to have to go through the trouble of flashing it once they get it.
B. Cannot flash it because they only own a 3DS/DSi.

I say that this review needs to be written again.
Maybe even written by someone that has more experience with the R4i-SDHC, such as Me or Wasim.

The first time i used my R4-SDHC, i found it very fast and easy to use.
I didn't encounter any problems at all.

Please think about writing a new review.

I'm not trying to come off mean but this review is insufficient, I don't blame minox as it could of been based off a bad card from a bad seller, so he's writing it off of that.

this

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i enjoy the efforts on the review, but many things that have been stated in this review hasn't happened to anyone else.
A new review will clear up all this dispute.
Just to clear things up.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
All of these games and applications complained about the file system not initializing properly. Curious if this was somehow solvable I ended up trying to boot these problem homebrew using Homebrew Menu and to my surprise they all launched as they should with no issues whatsoever. Launching Stella DS and Morning Timer through Homebrew Menu didn't change anything at all though, they still suffered from the same issues.

Apparently, all the games that don't work uses libnds' standard libFAT filesystem. All the others that work uses either EFS, root-based FS, etc.

I've tested on an older card of the same manufacturer, the only way Space Impakto works is from their Media menu(Moonshell?).

mutant2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1Player said:
@mutant2

there's a lot of people from crappy clone team that make fake accounts here to spam their flash cart.
You seem like one of them.

One easy rule to remember, when you're buying a cheap Chinese knock offs like the r4i-sdhc-3ds,
expect crappy results like this.

I agree with this review, I had one of these and it's total garbage to say the least

Hi 1Player,

You're entitled to your opinion about the card and the review... So am I. I am NOT from any "crappy clone team", nor did I make a false account here to spam anything. I'm not connected with any flash cart companies - I just use the cards like most others - to get optimum enjoyment from my DS console.

I'm happy to say from whom I bought my card and which website I get support.. but I'm trying to abide by GBAtemp rules in not advertising. If my comments need back-up I'll be happy to post these details should GBAtemp staff require / allow it. Nobody knows where and how cheap the OP bought his card to do this review. If he was scammed with a faulty card then that is not the R4i teams problem - but from the place he purchased it.

I read about this review from seeing a post on another website and (as I am very new to posting on forums, I joined up here only recently) I wanted to give my "personal experience" on the R4i 3DS. I have had no issues with it. I'm sorry if you don't like to see both sides of reviews or that it frightens you to think that there may just be people out there who like this card and are willing to say so. Your attitude to me doesn't change my attitude to my cards. Nor does it change my view of this being a very good well organised website (that I have just joined).

Thank you for the very "warm" welcome.

Reading other posts around the site I'm glad to see many more-fair minded / like-minded people like myself who aren't afraid to speak truthfully, without feeling the need to personalise their comments at newbies.

Thanks GBAtemp for what looks like a really cool website.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
this debate is fine but minox has retired from his staff position. we will not see an update to the review for sometime. i am not going to allow a completly different person to write a completly different review, it would need to be minox with a second card.

i am trying to get in touch with the team, if i do i will verify as much information as possible and add a quick 2-3 paragraph update to the review.

-another world

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mutant2 said:
-wall of stuff-

I'm just stating my opinion, my R4i SDHC 3DS was crap, this review is a reflection of that, and is correct.
There is no need to write a new review or change this one because it is CORRECT.
Reviews should not be re-written to satisfy fanboys or clone teams.
A lot of other people have experienced these problems as well.

Cheap Chinese knock off like this R4i SDHC 3DS does not work properly.

There's a reason why clones have a bad reputation for being crappy, it's because they are.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
1Player said:
mutant2 said:
-wall of stuff-

I'm just stating my opinion, my R4i SDHC 3DS was crap, this review is a reflection of that, and is correct.
There is no need to write a new review or change this one because it is CORRECT.
Reviews should not be re-written to satisfy fanboys or clone teams.
A lot of other people have experienced these problems as well.

Cheap Chinese knock off like this R4i SDHC 3DS does not work properly.

There's a reason why clones have a bad reputation for being crappy, it's because they are.
You are just looking at the 'R4' in the name and then judging it as a bad clone.
That is not the reason it should be re-written, the reason is that most of these problems posted in the review do not occur.
If it were correct, it would not be brought up this much that it should be changed.
The R4i-SDHC is not a clone.
The hardware was originally based off the DSTT, but has been greatly changed since.
The OS has not been stolen or anything, it has a lot of features that Acekard has.
When you bring up a point like that, atleast do some research.

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
You are just looking at the 'R4' in the name and then judging it as a bad clone. I didn't just look at the R4 name, I have one of these crappy clone. Did you not read what I wrote?
That is not the reason it should be re-written, the reason is that most of these problems posted in the review do not occur. Yes they do, I've experienced them and so did other people including the reviewer
If it were correct, it would not be brought up this much that it should be changed. The only person bringing this up is you and a few fake (1 post) accounts
The R4i-SDHC is not a clone. Yes it is. Every website classified it as a clone, and like you said it cloned the DSTT
The hardware was originally based off the DSTT, but has been greatly changed since. Just like a hand full of other clones
The OS has not been stolen or anything, it has a lot of features that Acekard has. Just because it has features like Acekard does not mean it's as good as Acekard. Plenty of other clone can make that claim.
When you bring up a point like that, atleast do some research. I didn't bring up any of those points, you did. All I said was my R4i-SDHC is as bad as what the review said.

I hate arguing with kids, so bye.

Rabbittwo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, guys. I am a newbie of all kinds of cards. But have just bought a R4i 3DS card from R4i-SDHC team. It worked perfectly except a little flaw of the flashcard reader.
yaynds.gif
I am going to buy some more ones from there. So Please DO get in tough with the team, Another World. Let everything come to light. Then we guys can decide whether the R4i cards worth us to buy or not. Thanks a million!
bow.gif
bow.gif

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World, I suggest you continue your course of action with this flash cart so as to inform others, myself included, in how well this card handles its claimed feature set. Thanks for the review but it seems very clear that an amendment needs to be made. Bye yall.

psychomom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i read this review right through and i am a little nonplussed at this...i have 4 of these cards and have had little to complain about. to be honest, i have not used any other kind of card so have nothing to compare it to, but my motto is if it isn't broken why fix it. so while i am sorry that the reviewer had such a bad time with the card, but i can assure you that i am the polar opposite...

i wonder if you just got a lemon?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i seriously doubt that the card he has was a lemon. the way the cards are made it would mean that an entire batch were messed up. although, with clones you won't often receive problem reports.

from what i've read and discussed with others, the problem is software related. some get it and some don't simply because its bugs in the hacked software.

it seems there are some common fixes like changing .SAV to .sav to avoid the corruption bug. how would you classify that as a result of a lemon? that is clearly a software bug.

-another world

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World 1 question. Are the users who receive the corruption error on a certain flash card or certain kernel? I just think it's interesting that "some get it and some don't simply because its bugs in the hacked software." Regardless, I have read their website info and it does seem like they have issues with the micro SD cards getting corrupted for which their solution is a formatting of the micro SD card. I ordered this card and I will definitely be writing in this thread on any issues I encounter. Till then mates. :biggrin:

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
every game i tried that the review says corrupts works perfectly the review is wrong but on the other had yes this clone is crap and doesn't have anything kool on it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o