Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Threads like these have a knack for getting under my skin. As a black man I tend to take any affront on Rap as an affront on my people. I might very well agree that Rap is socially detrimental and that it perpetuates self-destructive tendencies, but unless you are one of the people these issues are directly affecting, then your opinion on rap should in it's totality look something like this:

“Oh Rap? No, I don't care for that type of music.”

The social ramifications of Rap music should be debated by the affected party. For example: American Rap music has most prominently affected black inner city youth. Therefore African Americans should be the ones who view rap through a critical lens. Don't get me wrong, if you have genuine concerns for the effects of Rap on youth indiscriminate of their race, that is an admirable thing and I thank you for that concern. However, when threads are created and we trot Rap out like a pony and prod and ridicule it, we do so with no pure intentions. I personally liken contemporary Rap music to a modernized minstrel show. My brothers force gibberish through inebriated lips, while my sisters gyrate in the background; all for the entertainment of the viewing public. So as you may have guessed, I find very little humor in the matter.

*Turns the volume up as loud as he wants to.*

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
Threads like these have a knack for getting under my skin. As a black man I tend to take any affront on Rap as an affront on my people. I might very well agree that Rap is socially detrimental and that it perpetuates self-destructive tendencies, but unless you are the one of the people these issues are directly effecting, then your opinion on rap should in it's totality look something like this:

The social ramifications of Rap music should be debated by the effected party. For example: American Rap music has most prominently affected black inner city youth. Therefore African Americans should be the ones who view rap through a critical lens. Don't get me wrong, if you have genuine concerns for the affects of Rap on youth indiscriminate of their race, that is an admirable thing and I thank you for that concern. However, when threads are created and we trot Rap out like a pony and prod and ridicule it, we do so with no pure intentions. I personally liken contemporary Rap music to a modernized minstrel show. My brothers force gibberish through inebriated lips, while my sisters gyrate in the background; all for the entertainment of the viewing public. So as you may have guessed, I find very little humor in the matter.

My father's african american and I grew up in the 'ghetto' areas of New Jersey listening to that shit as a youth.

The problems that rap bring to the community are directly related to me, whether or not I live in that shithole now or not.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Prophet said:
Threads like these have a knack for getting under my skin. As a black man I tend to take any affront on Rap as an affront on my people. I might very well agree that Rap is socially detrimental and that it perpetuates self-destructive tendencies, but unless you are the one of the people these issues are directly effecting, then your opinion on rap should in it's totality look something like this:

The social ramifications of Rap music should be debated by the effected party. For example: American Rap music has most prominently affected black inner city youth. Therefore African Americans should be the ones who view rap through a critical lens. Don't get me wrong, if you have genuine concerns for the affects of Rap on youth indiscriminate of their race, that is an admirable thing and I thank you for that concern. However, when threads are created and we trot Rap out like a pony and prod and ridicule it, we do so with no pure intentions. I personally liken contemporary Rap music to a modernized minstrel show. My brothers force gibberish through inebriated lips, while my sisters gyrate in the background; all for the entertainment of the viewing public. So as you may have guessed, I find very little humor in the matter.

My father's african american and I grew up in the 'ghetto' areas of New Jersey listening to that shit as a youth.

The problems that rap bring to the community are directly related to me, whether or not I live in that shithole now or not.
Have I touched a nerve?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jphriendly said:
TrolleyDave, you get extra points for posting Spearhead. Michael Franti is the freakin' man. Of course, the music Spearhead plays now isn't anything close to their older stuff. Still rocks though.

Totally agree mate. Very smart guy and incredibly talented rapper. Shame most people just want to hear about "guns and ho's" these days, they miss out on stuff Spearhead. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Ice T but he really is the only "gangsta" rapper I've ever really had time for. He's a totally different style though.

------

Thought I'd inject another classic into the thread. This was one of the first rap tracks I ever heard as I kid and still love it!

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
Pyrofyr said:
Prophet said:

Have I touched a nerve?
Not really. To say that these things shouldn't concern us is bigoted of you, just because we don't like rap doesn't mean that we live in these high class sheltered homes with perfect families and lives.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Prophet said:
Pyrofyr said:
Prophet said:

Have I touched a nerve?
Not really. To say that these things shouldn't concern us is bigoted of you, just because we don't like rap doesn't mean that we live in these high class sheltered homes with perfect families and lives.

You seem to be projecting a lot of your own pathology into this. I in no way implied that not liking Rap is indicative of a high social standing. Nor did I say that people didn't have the right to dislike Rap. All I'm saying is that the discussion should revolve around Rap's aesthetic appeal rather than it's social merit. Rap is a lot like a drunk uncle. Sure, to the passerby it's funny when he toddles around in a stupor and eventually passes out. But do you know who it's not funny to? Those affected by the drunk; his friends, his family. So an outsider might see Rap buffoonery as amusing, but to me, there's nothing funny about it. The sad state of Rap is an indication of the sad state that the black community is in. Now I won't argue on whether life imitates art or art imitates life, but I think all would agree that an ill art-form can perpetuate an ailment in life. Which is to say that, if we stop creating Rap that glorifies shooting one another, that alone wouldn't stop black-on-black crime, but if we keep on rapping about it we surely aren't helping the situation. So with things of that magnitude on the line, with the stakes that high, what exactly is so funny? To poke away at Rap is to prod the festering spirit of my people. Do not expect me to suffer it silently.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus christ, read what you wrote at least.

I don't see it as funny in anyway, when people say rap sucks they mean that it's terrible overall and just should usher itself out of existence along with those who promote it's core ideals (popular ideals if you will) and those who produce it.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still can't see how the statement you just quoted shows me eluding to you all as living in high class sheltered homes with perfect families. Nor do I see how my statement makes me a bigot who’s arguing that these things shouldn't concern you all. None the less it is a minor point and I gladly concede it to you.

I in no way meant to imply that you in particular saw it as funny. In fact my original post made no mention of anyone in particular, I was simply speaking on the thread in general. However, you took special exception to my comment. You should take time to meditate on this, as it would seem to an observer that you have your own unresolved issues related to the topic at hand.

Side note: Prophet, the serial-thread-derailer strikes again. "Muhahahahahaha!!! They'll never catch me."
smileipb2.png

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
I still can't see how the statement you just quoted shows me eluding to you all as living in high class sheltered homes with perfect families. Nor do I see how my statement makes me a bigot who’s arguing that these things shouldn't concern you all. None the less it is a minor point and I gladly concede it to you.

I in no way meant to imply that you in particular saw it as funny. In fact my original post made no mention of anyone in particular, I was simply speaking on the thread in general. However, you took special exception to my comment. You should take time to meditate on this, as it would seem to an observer that you have your own unresolved issues related to the topic at hand.

Side note: Prophet, the serial-thread-derailer strikes again. "Muhahahahahaha!!! They'll never catch me."
smileipb2.png
Yes, you were speaking of this thread in general, you were classifying people based on their opinion (bias) and belittling them based on your bias (bigotry).

I have no problem with rap in that there are some great rap artists that actually give you food for thought, hell I'll even go so far as to say that Eminem had some very insightful raps/songs. However the mainstream rappers just don't tend to, very few get popular AND are insightful, and they tend to get record deals, release records, but never go platinum or anything and never get enough publicity.

The few times it's ever happened have been mostly with R&B artists who just happened to do some rap songs getting together and doing collaborations for a cause.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i really don't agree 100%. i for one really doesn't listen much to rap music. there are some few rap artist that makes sense at all. i do listen to rap, but rap metal like in the rage against the machine days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8G6DCnlLDQ