Raspberry Pi 5 unveiled

aa7841cb-421a-4000-8ab9-c77478a4f83b-1024x683.jpg

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have formally announced the newest in their line of single board computers which are a favourite among hobbyists and tinkerers. The new Raspberry Pi 5 boasts significant improvements over its predecessor and is set to hit shelves later this year.

Priced at $60 for the 4GB RAM version and $80 for the 8GB RAM model, the new board features a 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, VideoCore VII GPU with HEVC decode, dual 4K 60hz micro HDMI display output, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (low energy), and more.

The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon; developed in-house in Cambridge, UK, the new board introduces a disaggregated chiplet architecture, enhancing its overall performance with reports claiming the new board is between 2-3x faster than the Raspberry Pi 4, with all of this increased performance even being delivered at a lower power consumption than previous boards for comparable workloads.

Pre-orders are now open at select retailers with the first batches expected to be delivered this October.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

the_joman_yt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You forgot the most groundbreaking development. It has a power button!
that is actualy amazing for my use cases
Post automatically merged:

i can't wait to see how gamecube, wii(?), and ds emulation will fare on this thing.
same, i killed my school's pi 4 so this was perfect timing, also i am building an arcade cab with it

Reactions: hippy dave

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
It's for people that love to hoard a lot of data on internet for games, movies, programs, operating systems and other bigger files. You can have full collection of retro gaming like Nintendo NES to Wii, Gameboy to 3DS, PS1, PS2, PSP, Sega Genesis and more. Great for tiny NAS servers too. This would be overkill bigger storage for everyone love to hoard a lot of data! Like we need to buy more hard drive/SSD again and over again often. LOL! :rofl2:B-)

Geekworm X1011 board adds up to four NVMe SSDs to the Raspberry Pi 5

https://www.cnx-software.com/2024/0...s-up-to-four-nvme-ssds-to-the-raspberry-pi-5/

1714735392592.png

1714735504885.png

1714735574641.png

Geekworm X1011 is a new expansion board for the Raspberry Pi 5 with four M.2 sockets enabling the insertion of up to four M.2 NVMe SSDs with data pushed through the PCIe Gen2 interface of the popular SBC.

We were already wondering why most people would want to connect two NVMe SSDs to the Raspberry Pi 5 when the Geekworm X1004 HAT+ was launched considering the 5GT/s limitation from the board and the PCIe switch, but the company decided to double the number of drives with the X1011 meaning each drive can achieve up to around 100 MB/s (or 400MB/s) when used simultaneously. It does look nice and fairly compact though.

Geekworm X1011 specifications:

Supported SBC – Raspberry Pi 5 and other SBCs with a compatible 16-pin PCIe FPC connector and mounting holes
Chipset – ASMedia ASM1184e PCI express packet switch with 1x PCIe Gen2 x1 upstream port and 4x PCIe Gen2 x1 downstream ports
4x M.2 sockets for up to 16TB storage capacity (4x 4TB) with M.2 NVMe 2280/2260/2242/2230 SSDs (SATA not supported)
Max data transfers – Up to 5 Gbps PCIe 2.0
Host interface – Raspberry Pi 5 PCIe FFC connector (37mm FFC cable provided)
Note – NVMe boot is not supported because the Raspberry Pi firmware does not currently support PCIe switches.
Power Management
5V/5A DC via FFC & pogo pins (using the USB-C port on the Pi 5)
5V/5A DC via 5.5/2.1mm DC power jack
DC/DC step-down converter delivering a maximum of 10A to power the SSDs
Compatible with the HAT+ standby power state, automatically turning off when the Raspberry Pi 5 shuts down.
Important: Do not power the Raspberry Pi 5 through its USB-C port at the same time if you are using the DC jack.
Dimensions – 109 x 87.2mm

While the Raspberry Pi 5’s PCIe interface could be configured up to switch to PCIe Gen 3 x1, this won’t help because the PCIe switch only supports PCIe Gen 2 x1. That means we are left with a solution that delivers about the same sequential read/write performance as SATA hard drives, albeit in a much smaller form factor and random I/Os will still be considerably faster. A wiki has been set up with more technical details and instructions to get started.

Jeff Geerling got a sample and confirmed the performance. He also compared it to the Rockchip RK3588-powered FriendlyELEC CM3588 NAS Kit which is about $20 more expensive for a complete system, but with a PCIe Gen3 x4 interface (PCIe Gen3 x1 (8GT/s) per socket) that delivers much better performance and a 2.5GbE port that can push 2.5 times more data to the network than the gigabit Ethernet on the Raspberry Pi 5. None of these support SATA drives, and if you prefer this type of drive, the Radxa Penta SATA HAT provides a viable option to build a NAS for the Raspberry Pi 5.

The Geekworm X1011 expansion board ships with two PCIe FFC cables (one is a spare), various screws, spacers, and nuts. It can be purchased on Geekworm for $51, on Aliexpress for $50, and might soon be found on the company’s Amazon store.

:yay::yay:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...