Raspberry Pi-powered retro DIY console 'Lyra' launches Kickstarter campaign

lyra.PNG
Creoqode, a London-based company known for making DIY gadgets, is launching its new project on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. Named Lyra this handheld device is powered by a Raspberry Pi CM3L (Compute Module 3 Lite) that claims to "virtually emulate any game console of the classic era" (think RetroPie). The Lyra comes in two different versions; a fully assembled one at £179 and a DIY version at £149 (somewhat akin the MAKERbuino). Both versions of the console boast the following specs:
  • SOC: Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC
  • CPU: 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • Display: 5" TFT LCD 800 x 480 Resolution
  • Video: DPI Interface & HDMI
  • Audio: Integrated Speaker, 3.5 mm Audio Output & HDMI
  • USB: Micro USB 2.0
  • Memory: 16 GB Micro SD Card. Upgradable to any memory size.
  • Battery: 3000 mAh LiPo
While the handheld packs a 5 inch, 800 x 480 display, it can also be hooked to a monitor via HDMI and since it operates via a Raspberry Pi board, Lyra can double as a personal computer.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

While situating itself on the pricey end of the DIY spectrum, the Lyra is worth keeping an eye out for, especially if you are into DIY-ing or want to learn more about the intricacies of video game hardware and software development. The handheld will come with a comprehensive tutorial series guiding users about hardware, software and assembly.

Founder of Creoqode, Cem Eltutar, says that “While bringing back the nostalgia of classic video gaming in your pocket, Lyra also provides a fundamental education about hardware and software. Assembling Lyra makes users familiar with the components of a game console and their working principles. Installing an OS and being able to code video games from scratch provides the first step towards software design.”

Of note, Lyra's Kickstarter campaign has nearly doubled its £30,000 goal at the time of writing, meaning that the product will come to fruition.

What do you think of the Lyra? Will you be interested in DIY-ing one for yourself?

:arrow: Lyra Kickstarter Campaign

D

Deleted User

I will one day get banned for double posting if I dont get my self a beter keyboard sory

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Great product I found on indigogo today:

PN342MT.png

Its an ingenious product, which does exactly the opposite that the entire beauty industry wanted you to do with building up moisture in the lipid layer for decades.

And its only 109 USD!

And look how targeted you can apply it!

And look at the video, to find a perfect representation of how (influencer) marketing works.

Also - could I interest you in some part time vacation home shares in Alaska?

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Deleted User

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read 480p and 1gb ddr2 and I don't even need to know the rest to know this is gar bage. 200$ I could buy a 3ds for half that easy same for ps vita/ psp. A Gpd 2 runs at boost 2.6 ghz and has 8gb of memory. WITH a 720p touch screen keyboard, buttons and sticks. If any money's going into this it's the creators trying to lure people to put money into it because nobody should buy that junk.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1) Advertising emulation is kinda awkward for a commercial product, since hardly anyone gets the roms for old games like the Pi can emulate legally

2) Nothing about wireless connectivity? Even the A+ has it, that is pretty much the only real feature an I/O board might add. Sure, you get a screen and some buttons, but that severely restricts its value as anything but a box for retro emulation, in which it is probably barely better than a hacked 3DS

3) At least it is probably upgradable once the CM4 comes out, but again, lack of networking capability (other than USB adapters that get in the way of hands) seems a bit of a deal breaker.

D

Deleted User

It uses pi3 as its base, so it uses arm9. Won't be able to run any x86/PC games, unfortunately :(

I doubt Wine would help much.
I was fortunate enough to get Exagear Desktop before it went under. It was only good for some really light fan games but there was hope for it. sadly it was paid and noone in tth open soucre community has a good alternative (it was faster than qemu because it got rid of an extra layer or something like that - syscall i think it was.)
Sorry for my retarded typing, I'm eating chips and touching all over my type cover right now.

Reactions: osaka35

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These portable retro consoles don't make sense. If you have the money to spend on this then you probably have a phone that is better spec'ed than this. You could use that money to buy a controller attachment for your phone. Seriously, just get this instead. Recent flagship phones can emulate up to the Wii Era. Older/budget phones can emulate up to the psp. Ever more is the amount of console ports of games on the play store that don't have high spec requirements. Heck, if you want a separate handheld for gaming, you can get a used psp or 3ds that are definitely going to last longer than this device.

Last edited by GoldenBullet,
Reactions: Fugelmir

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand this is meant for pi/retro gaming enthusiasts, but in all honesty you could connect an ipega bluetooth controller to any android phone and get similar functionality, with better controls, resolutions, etc.

D

Deleted User

Why not just use a New 2DS XL? All models are hackable due to a hardware fault which Nintendo isn't bothering to fix. If this thing used the Raspberry Pi 4 and could emulate N64 and PS1 games then I might recommend it.

Reactions: Fugelmir

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Why not just use a New 2DS XL? All models are hackable due to a hardware fault which Nintendo isn't bothering to fix. If this thing used the Raspberry Pi 4 and could emulate N64 and PS1 games then I might recommend it.
I mean, the Compute Pi 3 can emulate N64 and PS1, better than the 3DS can (though N64 is hit or miss, depending on the game. But that's just cuz shitty N64 emulation in general). Assuming the Pi 4 Compute model uses the same DDR2 SODIMM form factor, it would also be extremely easy to upgrade.

PPSSPP and Reicast are the only two that are mostly "iffy" with the Pi 3 (though quite a few DC/PSP games are pretty playable) everything below that though is pretty much perfectly playable.

The biggest problem with this, though, is no analog sticks and seemingly no shoulder buttons, so you'll be limited on PS1/N64 games.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raspberry Pi? I've always been interested in one of those. I'd get it for the Pi, if nothing else! Also, the fact that it can transform into a do-it-yourself handheld is a plus. Very ingenious, but how many people in the U.S. would order one of those? I imagine not very many. Most people in this day-and-age prefer something pre-made, like a Windows computer. The idea of a computer kit would sound daunting to them. That's why it's important that Millenials and Generation Z-ers need to learn how to put things together. It teaches them that not everything comes in a neat little package with a bow on top (hypothetically speaking). Not that it's not an important skill for everyone, but it would be easier to teach the younger generations than that 60-year-old guy who's set in his ways and complains about his beer getting too warm when it's been out of the fridge for two minutes! :P

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
People saying this kit is too expensive don't really understand the market for this type of product.
The MintyPi, a Raspberry Pi Zero based handheld built into an Altoids tin, costs $150 for the parts that you then have to assemble yourself, or $275 and more for a prebuilt console, and people are paying that much for a console that is virtually unplayable due to its size, and is more of a hobby project / proof of concept than an actual everyday use gaming handheld. Put that into perspective. At least the Lyra looks comfortable and has better specs.

Reactions: Nightwish

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just seems like a pre-release version of the Nintendo Switch Mini. (The price.) Which will outclass this thing once that one can be hacked. Which, I know for a fact it will after a while it will.

Which will be outclassed by the Mariko Switch refresh.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, this uses a RP Zero? Eww. Too weak for anything more than SNES.

Damn. At least try to fit an ODroid XU4 in there. There's my SBC of choice before the RPi4...trades blows with it? Outdoes it? I guess we'll wait and see. It sure does seem more powerful atm, though.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So... expect a guide on how to make your own either here on in Ars technica.

Is based on a Raspberry Pi CM3L, besides being portable it has nothing to offer, and people can get more or less the same hacking a Switch or a Vita.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... expect a guide on how to make your own either here on in Ars technica.

Is based on a Raspberry Pi CM3L, besides being portable it has nothing to offer, and people can get more or less the same hacking a Switch or a Vita.

A Switch costs 300 dollars, how much does this cost?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, new version of rock paper scissors: truth lies
    hipocrisy
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My ex fiance was a master liar, manipulator and hypocrite. An actual diagnosed psychopath.
    They are not even human in my opinion.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because I said you were big that one time you believed me
    +1
    The shameful part is, I fell so in love with her mask. If I could find the real woman she pretended to be I would die for her without a moments hesitation.
    Truly loved what was never there
    I would have fought demons, gods, armies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Be gentle, I've never done this before." What, biatch you got 3 kids already. Lol, I know loves sucks hard when bad, but really good when good.
    +2
    Lol BigOnYa I hear "I don't usually do sex on the first date" like every 2 to 3 weeks now...
    +1
    I never quite know how to respond lol
    Apparently saying nothing is the correct response lol
    I know they be lying but damn I need something
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You say " is your boyfriend gonna stay and watch, or should I call A cab for him"
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Psionic Roshambo I have alot of family that lives in St pete, Clearwater, Tampa area, what part of FL you in?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    what is good, family
    Elfers Florida lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Where is that, city close to
    Lived in Hudson from 1999-2023
    Like hmm 45 minutes north of Tampa
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is nice down there, better than Ohio where I am, but I can't take the heat, year round
    Yeah the next 4 months pretty much suck
    Ohio I have been too a few times
    +1
    Born in Michigan and moved to Florida at 16 lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm near Columbus, suburbs called Hilliard.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    are you doxxing yourselves?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: are you doxxing yourselves?