Razer to convert some of its production lines from gaming accessories to surgical masks

razerrrrrrrrr.png

March has been a weird month, but it's about to get weirder. Razer, a company known for its gaming accessories, will be shifting production from gaming mice and headphones, to surgical masks. The CEO of the company took to Facebook to announce a new initiative that will see Razer step up to help produce masks during the shortage caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Each region that Razer has offices in will receive a donation of surgical masks, with Singapore (Razer's HQ) receiving the first shipment. This will be, according to the CEO, the first step of many that Razer will be taking to help, with plans to donate 1 million masks to various countries in need.

So I haven’t had much sleep over the past couple of days to get this initiative up and running, but I’m happy to be able to announce this on behalf of the team here at Razer

With the worsening of the COVID-19 situation, health authorities worldwide are facing an extreme shortage of surgical masks used by the frontline healthcare staff in the battle against the virus. Some countries have even banned the export of masks in face of the dire shortage.

While there has been incredible demand for our products during this time with many staying home to avoid the crowds (and to play games), the team at Razer understands that all of us have a part to play in fighting the virus – no matter which industry we come from.

Over the past few days, our designers and engineers have been working 24-hour shifts to convert some of our existing manufacturing lines to produce surgical masks so that we can donate them to countries around the world.

We intend to donate up to 1M masks to the health authorities of different countries globally. For starters, we’ve been in touch with the authorities in Singapore (where Razer SEA HQ is based) to donate some of the initial shipments to assist their fight against COVID-19.

The rest of our Razer global/regional offices will also be reaching out to their respective governments/health authorities to see how we can prioritize our support and donations of surgical masks in the various countries and regions where we have a presence.

All of us have a part to play and we should be doing whatever we can with the situation getting more serious. Please keep yourself and your family safe – and do lets support each other in these trying times. The team at Razer is stepping up to do what we can.

This emergency conversion of some of our lines and donation of masks is the first step of many that Razer will take. We are committed to contributing our extra time, resources, effort and talent toward the fight against COVID-19.

If you’d like to get involved with our fight against the virus, please follow the Razer social media channels. If you’re a corporate or an individual who just wants to help– do reach out to us. We need all the help we can.

#razerforlife #covid_19 #forgamersbygamers #razermask

tl;dr:

We've converted some of our manufacturing lines to making surgical masks and will be donating up to 1M to health authorities worldwide.

:arrow: Source

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any keyboard with original MX switches will eat a Razer with its proprietary switches for breakfast.
Subjective. Razer's proprietary clicky switches seem nice to me- though, to be fair, I've only used them on a display shelf.
You want bad mechanical switches, try Logitech's. Their membrane keys feel less mushy.
This post was typed (loudly) on a Corsair-branded set of RGB MX Reds.

Last edited by JavaScribe, , Reason: brevity
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a massive difference between aerosolised particles and dripping because you have a snotty cold and humans are generally disgusting (talking over an open wound and all that does a nice line in spittle into it).

I suppose I did fail to account for face touching in normal people -- spent enough time inside engines, oily machines and on building sites that I don't do it any more outside of when it is safe. That said are we still going with the face touching approach? Some that could question it did indeed question it.

If you want to get a real mask, and wear it properly, then that is a different discussion entirely.
Do you stand by everything you posted earlier?

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[
I do indeed.

Most facemask usage is ineffective, improper and generally pointless unless you are in the scenarios with direct contact.
I'll point out that the CDC has now (as of April) confirmed even home made face masks are effective & recommended for slowing the spread, they do so by:

1. Preventing you from touching your face
2. Prohibiting those who have the virus & are asymptomatic from spreading it
3. Reducing the amount of virus you are potentially exposed to.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

Last edited by Haloman800,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[

I'll point out that the CDC has now (as of April) confirmed even home made face masks are effective & recommended for slowing the spread, they do so by:

1. Preventing you from touching your face
2. Prohibiting those who have the virus & are asymptomatic from spreading it
3. Reducing the amount of virus you are potentially exposed to.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

Did I not say that before?

You sounded like you wanted to do it to protect yourself. I was more about you wandering around like you are larping as a builder wrecking out plasterboard is not going to do much for you vs getting a real mask and learning how to use it.

The efficacy in reducing your exposure is rather dubious as well for essentially sticking a sock over your face. Might it catch a droplet? Sure. Would I use it to actually protect myself? Would I bollocks. I would go grab my nice little supply of real gear for that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: m