Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
what actually means "Auto boot"? can someone pls explain this to me?^^ every time we reboot the switch, we get into hekata? or am i wrong?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and i know it sounds silly ... a little bit xD

What it is, is that it'll boot straight into Hekate (or whatever option you choose from the menu) and bypass the boot menu. Unless you hold Vol - that is. It's not a coldboot, and you still have to push the payload to the Switch.

Reactions: Bernhard

Bernhard

Psycho
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What it is, is that it'll boot straight into Hekate (or whatever option you choose from the menu) and bypass the boot menu. Unless you hold Vol - that is. It's not a coldboot, and you still have to push the payload to the Switch.
ok thx for explanation

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In fact any boot via the recovery mode is a coldboot, the code get's executed before the os boot's therefore coldboot.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
In fact any boot via the recovery mode is a coldboot, the code get's executed before the os boot's therefore coldboot.
That's not how it works... That's not how any of this works.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not how it works... That's not how any of this works.
You don't seem to understand how any of this works.
Wikipedia said:
Cold vs. warm rebootEdit

"Cold boot" redirects here. For the attack called a "cold boot attack", see Cold boot attack.
Technical sources describe two contrasting forms of reboot known as a "cold reboot (also a cold boot, hard reboot or hard boot) and warm boot (also soft reboot, or soft boot), although the definition of these forms slightly vary between sources.[citation needed]

According to Jones, Landes, Tittel (2002),[1]Cooper (2002),[2] Tulloch (2002)[3] and Soper (2004),[4] on IBM PC compatible platform, a cold boot is a boot process in which the computer starts from a powerless state. All except Tulloch (2002) also mention that in cold boot, system performs a power-on self-test (POST). In addition to the power switch, Cooper (2002) and Soper (2004) also state that reset button may commence a cold reboot. Jones, Landes, Tittel (2002) contradicts this assertion and states that a reset button may commence either a cold or warm reboot, depending on the system. Microsoft Support article 102228[5] also confers that although the reset button is designed to perform a cold reboot, it may not disconnect the power to the motherboard – a state that does not correspond to the cold boot definition given above. According to Jones, Landes, Tittel (2002),:509 both the operating system and third-party software can initiate a cold boot; the restart command in Windows 9x initiates a cold reboot, unless Shift key is held.

Finding a definition for warm boot, however, is more of a challenge. All aforementioned sources indicate that a warm boot is initiated by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination; all except Tulloch (2002) mention that a warm reboot does not perform POST. Jones, Landes, Tittel (2002) specifies that for a warm reboot to occur, BIOS must be the recipient of the key combination. Microsoft Support article 102228 takes a more technical approach and defines a warm boot a result of invoking INT 19h, a BIOS interrupt call; the Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination is only one of the ways.[5]According to Grimes (2001),[6] malware may prevent or subvert a warm boot by intercepting Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination and prevent it from reaching BIOS. Windows NT family of operating systems also does the same and reserves the key combination for its own use.[7][8] Soper (2004) asserts that Windows restart command initiates a warm boot, thus contradicting Jones, Landes, Tittel (2002) that believes the same action performs a cold boot.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today i used a 64 GB exfat micro SD and the dump worked perfectly. Didnt recognise that i just could use an exfat SD. Thought i would need the exfat driver to be installed before :-D *shame on me*

Took about 80 mins to dump and verify.

so you were able to use a sdxc card to back up your nand even though the sdxc wasnt allowed in the nsw os?

RAGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
so you were able to use a sdxc card to back up your nand even though the sdxc wasnt allowed in the nsw os?
Yes, read the description:
"E.g., hekate supports exFAT formatted sd cards, but if you never downloaded the exFAT update, it will not work on horizon os or any homebrew."

Reactions: gameboy

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just restored a 4.1 nand backup made in when the mod was version 2.x and it worked flawlessly (Current firmware on my switch is also 4.1). Had AutoRCM (TX) enabled before and I can confirm that after restoring it's gone.

Reactions: Albytrozz and RAGER

Spunky247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I didnt boot into the Nintendo Switch OS but i luckily read that hekate does support exfat for nand backups and it worked fine. After the backup i switched back to my 128 GB fat32 micro SD card that i normally use in my switch.

With the Hekate payload it is possible to make a exfat Backup of your nand although you dont have installed the exfat drivers! Hope this helps

Reactions: gameboy

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hi
can i remove my sd while in autorcm
thank
Yes.
Since v3.0, I made everything to unmount the sd card when you are in a menu.

For example, you can start a partial backup, press a key after the first round and go to the menu, move the files to your PC, insert again and continue the partial backup.

tottti1914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Yes.

For example, you can start a partial backup, press a key after the first round and go to the menu, move the files to your PC, insert again and continue the partial backup.
thanks a lot keep the good work:D:D

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes.

Oh I wish I'd known, maybe you could get it to say on screen?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I got to ask, is it possible to launch something like Edizon or Checkpoint directly through Hekate? I wish to backup my saves before a trip to England if the Switch gets lost. Or if you can extract the saves from a full NAND backup.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Oh I wish I'd known, maybe you could get it to say on screen?
I wanted to change the message for 3.1 but forgot. I hope I'll remember tomorrow that I'll finalize the new version.

I got to ask, is it possible to launch something like Edizon or Checkpoint directly through Hekate? I wish to backup my saves before a trip to England if the Switch gets lost. Or if you can extract the saves from a full NAND backup.
Nope, at their current form they need horizon's APIs and services.
They need to be changed and compiled as kip (kernel initial process).
Yes you can extract saves from a backup.

Reactions: hippy dave

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You don't seem to understand how any of this works.
Coldboot is booting into cfw directly when you press the power button. This isn't about "technicality" it's literal fact. If you want to count RCM as coldboot, that's your prerogative. Still not coldboot CFW. Argue Semantics all day, you'll be wrong.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Coldboot is booting into cfw directly when you press the power button. This isn't about "technicality" it's literal fact. If you want to count RCM as coldboot, that's your prerogative. Still not coldboot CFW. Argue Semantics all day, you'll be wrong.
Actually no. There are no technicalities here. Coldboot means booting an uninitialized machine.
So if you boot Ubuntu live it's warmboot because it loads from cd/USB and you have to press a button? So if the cd/dvd is configured to boot directly to live and your bios to boot cd/USB is coldboot?

What you are referring is a coldboot autoboot.

Having to plug a USB cable, dongle, hard drive, cd, etc does not change the fact that you haven't boot anything actually.

So, if you boot another firmware after you are inside the OS, that's warmboot.

Of course, this does not stop you to use these words how you want, outside of the universally accepted.
(e.g. I use "autoboot" even though you have to plug something to USB to boot, because it skips the menu. There's no alternative here though, for now, so this makes it adhere to its meaning. It's a hekate auto boot.).
But everytime, you have to explain your version (like how some users were confused with hekate's version of autoboot).

Reactions: tiliarou and Lacius

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the difference is true meaning versus colloquial meaning. A lot of people got used to using the term coldboot a certain way from the 3DS or PSP scenes.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The terms get misused even among experienced folk, in fairness. For example, Coldboot Haxchi (CBHC) is technically warmboot in that the system has already initialised and it’s simply loading an alternative title.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land