• Views 1,079,925
  • Replies 3,248
  • Likes 128

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Coldboot is booting into cfw directly when you press the power button. This isn't about "technicality" it's literal fact. If you want to count RCM as coldboot, that's your prerogative. Still not coldboot CFW. Argue Semantics all day, you'll be wrong.
Actually no. There are no technicalities here. Coldboot means booting an uninitialized machine.
So if you boot Ubuntu live it's warmboot because it loads from cd/USB and you have to press a button? So if the cd/dvd is configured to boot directly to live and your bios to boot cd/USB is coldboot?

What you are referring is a coldboot autoboot.

Having to plug a USB cable, dongle, hard drive, cd, etc does not change the fact that you haven't boot anything actually.

So, if you boot another firmware after you are inside the OS, that's warmboot.

Of course, this does not stop you to use these words how you want, outside of the universally accepted.
(e.g. I use "autoboot" even though you have to plug something to USB to boot, because it skips the menu. There's no alternative here though, for now, so this makes it adhere to its meaning. It's a hekate auto boot.).
But everytime, you have to explain your version (like how some users were confused with hekate's version of autoboot).
There you go b.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I think the difference is true meaning versus colloquial meaning. A lot of people got used to using the term coldboot a certain way from the 3DS or PSP scenes.
So something like an idiom.
Fair enough.

The terms get misused even among experienced folk, in fairness. For example, Coldboot Haxchi (CBHC) is technically warmboot in that the system has already initialised and it’s simply loading an alternative title.
I see. That can also fall to the same category as @subcon959 's explanation.
Something can start as wrong and after being used by many, it becomes correct to the same group of people. And thus creating an idiom.

masterzed

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hmm whats wrong! i cant boot into cfw by using hekete 3.1

SD-Card formatted exfat
sd-files into sdk-card
payplaod over pc for injection

i see the hekete menu to choose something, but when i start cfw (ian on fw 2.3) - i still waiting in black sceen

any idee= thanks alot

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Finally, someone doing it the right way. I have a feeling a lot of bans could've been avoided if other people had done the same.
It's not easy to do that to all projects, imo. hekate is way past the original release and it's in maintenance/feature-add constant phase/cycle.
Also, it's kinda the opposite thing to do when maintaining an open source repo where you need and want all the help you can. After a lot of changes you fed up and you have to commit them, in order to keep track of your local changes.

Also, I believe it's not right to blame the devs. The blame should be on everyone that used an unfinished product. Not even these that release these said binaries.
The user (and the dev) should always be careful and considerate when using unofficial tools and should never use online services with such mods. And that includes hekate of course.

In the end, the development can be stagnated if more and more things are held off.
A simple example; a contributor works on a fix or feature that is already implemented internally from a collaborator. That said contributor actually lost his time and could work on other features/fixes.
This is very important on the milestone, alpha and beta phases, of a project.

hmm whats wrong! i cant boot into cfw by using hekete 3.1

SD-Card formatted exfat
sd-files into sdk-card
payplaod over pc for injection

i see the hekete menu to choose something, but when i start cfw (ian on fw 2.3) - i still waiting in black sceen

any idee= thanks alot
  1. You could before?
  2. You tried booting [Stock]?

masterzed

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's not easy to do that to all projects, imo. hekate is way past the original release and it's in maintenance/feature-add constant phase/cycle.
Also, it's kinda the opposite thing to do when maintaining an open source repo where you need and want all the help you can. After a lot of changes you fed up and you have to commit them, in order to keep track of your local changes.

Also, I believe it's not right to blame the devs. The blame should be on everyone that used an unfinished product. Not even these that release these said binaries.
The user (and the dev) should always be careful and considerate when using unofficial tools and should never use online services with such mods. And that includes hekate of course.

In the end, the development can be stagnated if more and more things are held off.
A simple example; a contributor works on a fix or feature that is already implemented internally from a collaborator. That said contributor actually lost his time and could work on other features/fixes.
This is very important on the milestone, alpha and beta phases, of a project.

1. You could before?
  2. You tried booting [Stock]?
i cant anytime, online to boot into hekete
normal boot runs, after drag power button for 10 sec.

coned_miro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This does not help a lot.
You tried booting via [Stock] option? (not normal or Reboot normal)
If this works, there's sth wrong with your sd files.

As always, looking forward to your amazing work making my 3.0.2 switch do some crazy stuff! Thanks man!

Reactions: Azel

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Iam in 5.1.
Could someone make a Tutorial how to make a nand backup for safer Online Stuft?
A nand backup will not save you from an online ban.
Your console info can't be easily changed and the ban is sometimes console ban and other times console and account ban.

Btw, not many with firmware 2.1 - 2.3 anymore, huh?

Reactions: wicksand420

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1