KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:
What? Guys? How old are you? 12?

The iEvo will need a bootstrap update every single Nintendo Firmware update, just like any R4 clone.

Don't ask me why. I don't have time anymore to explain that. But that how it works.
What are you talking about? What does "no changes necessary" mean to you?
Probably due to being the newest dsi cart.

Are you saying they are lying?

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
No. I'm saying that someone is lying.

New Nintendo firmware = New bootstrap. Or iEvo won't work.

That's it.

iEvo is just working now because ist's new and Nintendo couln't block it. There's nothing special about that, some R4 cards from India that nobody knew about are working as well because they aren't blocked. - In this very first version of the japanese 3DS firmware. -- And this is going to change.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
If you'd spend some time doing some research you'd know that yourself, trumpet-205.

It's not my job to explain that business to you.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling we're going to see them all work.. I'm selling my DSi to help pay for 3DS so this is pretty refreshing news.

A nintendo rep once said that 3DS took extra measures to protect it from piracy, but I guess he meant 3DS mode?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:
No. I'm saying that someone is lying.

New Nintendo firmware = New bootstrap. Or iEvo won't work.

That's it.

iEvo is just working now because ist's new and Nintendo couln't block it. There's nothing special about that, some R4 cards from India that nobody knew about are working as well because they aren't blocked. - In this very first version of the japanese 3DS firmware. -- And this is going to change.
Exactly. We saying it the first well know flashcart to not have to update and work right off the get go, not saying it will never have to go through a update.

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For all the people worried about updates making their cards no longer work--it's not a new situation. PSP has had firmware updates (a good number) the wii, xbox, etc. Usually there is a method to either block the updates through software or to manually prevent yourself from updating.

Or you see in the case of the PSP games hacked to work with previous firmwares.

So I don't see updates as a problem so much--not as long as you are using a card from a company willing to spend the time and money to keep updating their software as well. (One of the first features should be a way to block automatic updates).

SoraKeyofFate

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering. Since 3DS games are going to be region-locked, does that mean flashcarts will have to be the same? Will teams will have to release updates of different region hacks for each cart?

Like, Acekard would have (as an example. Obviously, these would be 3DS titles instead) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (JP) (EU) (NA) different hacks for it to appear?

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think as long as u have a CPU on a cart u can fool any protection system because the system can only base its detection on whatever data it receives or it can probe from the cart itself so it can always be fooled by a CPU sending it what it needs.

So cart with CPU should be able to bypass any protection with correct firmware.

Now I could think of only one way to block card with CPU. That is if the system checked for voltage or power draw from the cartridge to see if its withing range from said game since the CPU increase power draw. In that case it would be impossible to fake unless we add battery in the cart too lol.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
SoraKeyofFate said:
I was wondering. Since 3DS games are going to be region-locked, does that mean flashcarts will have to be the same? Will teams will have to release updates of different region hacks for each cart?

Like, Acekard would have (as an example. Obviously, these would be 3DS titles instead) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (JP) (EU) (NA) different hacks for it to appear?

The region lock will not apply to DS carts, only DSi and 3DS titles.

D

Deleted User

1234turtles said:
its ironic how the worst flashcart(r4) is the first to work on the 3ds i thought acekard or scds2 would have been first
Well Nintendo knew that those two cards (Scds2 and Acekard) already pose a threat to them so the took those out first i guess they didn't take into consideration R4 clones O_O

Slasher Zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
hmm ....
unsure.gif
I think the r4 corporation payed the guy who stole the Nintendo 3DS from the line up production

and were preparing an r4 clone that works on the 3DS and waited for it to be released and be the first flashcart corporation to bypass

the Nintendo 3DS thous getting them loads of cash . HEH HEH
yay.gif
I guess those Ace Attorney games Payed Off .

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
tijntje_7 said:
They said that the 3DS was unhackable.Those are not the words they used, no.

boktor666 said:
I dun think so matey. Why would they care less for their older games. It's still made by companies, and they still want to see money for it. I think it's just to test the community of hackers, and then block the cards.THEY CAN'T.

They're not doing it because they can't. If they block older carts they'll block legit DS carts too. DS mode is just going to be another cat-and-mouse game with system firmware updates and bootloader updates for flash carts to switch to stuff that's not yet detected.

QUOTE(Etalon @ Feb 27 2011, 11:53 AM)
What? Guys? How old are you? 12?

The iEvo will need a bootstrap update every single Nintendo Firmware update, just like any R4 clone.

Don't ask me why. I don't have time anymore to explain that. But that how it works.
You're forgetting that the EZ-Flash Vi didn't need an update for firmware 1.4.1 because it wasn't blocked, along with one other cart I can't remember at the moment. At that time one or two carts that weren't using the same bootloader as everybody else still worked because they slipped under Nintendo's radar. Same thing with the 3DS and it's DS mode.

Do half of you not remember the DSi and it's firmware updates, just months ago? It's the SAME SITUATION. I mean this shit's in the stickies and announcements, too...

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
EZ Vi & iSmart Premium.

And we still don't know why.

Anyway, EZ doesn't work with 3DS, so case closed. Maybe they were just forgotten in the 1.4.1 update.
blush.gif

Motastic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im new here so hi. Anyway this looks like Nintendo planned this. DS Mode has been hacked for years. 3DS mode is where it all starts....

minilion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
boktor666 said:
I dun think so matey. Why would they care less for their older games. It's still made by companies, and they still want to see money for it. I think it's just to test the community of hackers, and then block the cards.
THEY CAN'T.

They're not doing it because they can't. If they block older carts they'll block legit DS carts too. DS mode is just going to be another cat-and-mouse game with system firmware updates and bootloader updates for flash carts to switch to stuff that's not yet detected.

They can block DS-mode flashcards without blocking legit DS cards. It's just a matter of verifying the data in *known* cart addresses, so that they match the original game data, and not flashcard exploit code data.
See my post here for more detail.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's up with the whole "DS games suck" thing going on in this thread? There have been several great titles over the last few months (more the farther you go back, obviously). Piracy doesn't magically make a system/game fail. There's been piracy on the DS for years, and even if you think (somehow) that no good DS games exist, look at the PC market. Tons of great titles, and it's extremely easy to pirate. The 3DS will do fine, even if it is hacked.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
minilion said:
They can block DS-mode flashcards without blocking legit DS cards. It's just a matter of verifying the data in *known* cart addresses, so that they match the original game data, and not flashcard exploit code data.
We know. The thing is they can be changed (and have been for the various firmware updates).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1