Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ram specifications are here v
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-32gtz
i would check the motherboard specifications to see if the ram is compatible or not
because the ram you bought is Non-ECC and unbuffered.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

as far as i can tell from the specifications of the asus rampage v edition 10
it should be compatible at least from what it says.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/specifications/
oh thanks:P

yes it is compactible...
but as mentioned... it is strange that SOMETIMES THE PC STUCKS... AND FREEZES :/ sometimes... not everytime:/
xmp activating... made my pc instatly freezing .... sooo yeah it is strange

any ideas?

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only thing i can think of is the memory profile maybe doesn't agree with the processsor.
i mean if the motherboard supports it that's the only thing i can think of is that the ram is conflicting with the cpu,
it's too bad the motherboard won't let you run a ram test without the cpu connected otherwise you'd find out the problem.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only thing i can think of is the memory profile maybe doesn't agree with the processsor.
i mean if the motherboard supports it that's the only thing i can think of is that the ram is conflicting with the cpu,
it's too bad the motherboard won't let you run a ram test without the cpu connected otherwise you'd find out the problem.

:/ yeah soo you think the ram is... bad ? and the cpu doesnt want the ram^^ ?

the Mobo is alright hopefully..

my last mother board didnt want me to run the ram tests too... like mem86 and mem86plus and the other memtests aswell ... :/

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The best way to test is to run memtest on each RAM stick one at a time on one RAM slot, and if it freezes with each one... try each of them with the second RAM slot.

E.g. Use slot A1 for stick 1,2,3 then 4, then use slot A2 for stick 1,2,3 then 4... repeat for B1 and B2 so you can be sure that all slots are working properly.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think the ram is bad, i think it's just conflicting with the cpu and since it would be cheaper to swap out the ram rather than the cpu your best bet would be to return the ram and head over to best buy if you have one in your area buy a different brand of ram like corsair, crucial, or kingston and have them price match amazon so you can return the ram to best buy
without having to ship it back to amazon every time you run into problems,
that and amazon red flags customers who do too many returns,
your other store option would be office max or office depot since they also price match amazon, but i don't know if they have one where you live.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
E.g. Use slot A1 for stick 1,2,3 then 4, then use slot A2 for stick 1,2,3 then 4... repeat for B1 and B2 so you can be sure that all slots are working properly.

Not for X99 (or at least Asus's design). The black slots (secondary slots, A2, B2 etc) won't work unless the adjacent slot (A1,B1 and so on) is populated.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52006-Black-DIMM-slots-won-t-work

I think it's X99 in general, as while it's not specifically stated, on my gigabyte x99 board, the ram config in the manual is the same. In any config where the secondary slot is being used, the adjacent primary slot is also in use. For 2A to be used 1A is populated as well, 2B, 1B is populated as well and so on.

Not sure if it still behaves the same on the few x99 with only 4 slots, but the x99 Asus rampage v edition 10 is an 8 slot board.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ram is supposed to be installed in the first and third slot
that's how dual channel ram works
it's not supposed to be installed directly next to eachother that's why motherboards have color coded ram slots to clarify where the ram goes
the ram is supposed to be installed in the slot with the same exact color as the first ram card you put in.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the ram is supposed to be installed in the first and third slot
that's how dual channel ram works
it's not supposed to be installed directly next to eachother that's why motherboards have color coded ram slots to clarify where the ram goes
the ram is supposed to be installed in the slot with the same exact color as the first ram card you put in.

Except you know, the original poster has an X99 board, which is quad channel.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
given that the op bought one pair of dual channel ram i would assume they put the ram in the two light grey slots.

quad channel only comes into play when you have four sticks of ram but the op only has two sticks of ram and the motherboard is compatible with dual channel ram so unless the op put the ram in the wrong slots i see no issues which is why i assumed they had a conflicting problem with the ram and cpu.

Last edited by Gabriel Mejia,

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not for X99 (or at least Asus's design). The black slots (secondary slots, A2, B2 etc) won't work unless the adjacent slot (A1,B1 and so on) is populated.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52006-Black-DIMM-slots-won-t-work

I think it's X99 in general, as while it's not specifically stated, on my gigabyte x99 board, the ram config in the manual is the same. In any config where the secondary slot is being used, the adjacent primary slot is also in use. For 2A to be used 1A is populated as well, 2B, 1B is populated as well and so on.

Not sure if it still behaves the same on the few x99 with only 4 slots, but the x99 Asus rampage v edition 10 is an 8 slot board.

so your pc doesnt reboot when u dont have a ram stick in your A1? ^^

am i right?

Should i buy a lower MHZ ram? ^^@Gabriel Mejia
the cpu is extrem new :)to repeat 5390k i think ^^

given that the op bought one pair of dual channel ram i would assume they put the ram in the two light grey slots.

quad channel only comes into play when you have four sticks of ram but the op only has two sticks of ram and the motherboard is compatible with dual channel ram so unless the op put the ram in the wrong slots i see no issues which is why i assumed they had a conflicting problem with the ram and cpu.

i ve red the handsheet^^ ! that came with my motherboard... so i didnt put them into the wrong slots... :/

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
slow board, messed up posts, sorry

While quad channel only comes into play if all 4 channels are filled, ASUS's manual says slot 3 & 6 for a dual channel config. While any 2 of the grey slots should work, X99 can be/is extremly fussy with memory at times.

Besides that, this is going off topic, my post was to simply say the method of "test each stick and slot one at a time" won't work on X99, as half the slots don't work unless the slot next to it is populated as well.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slow board, messed up posts, sorry

While quad channel only comes into play if all 4 channels are filled, ASUS's manual says slot 3 & 6 for a dual channel config. While any 2 of the grey slots should work, X99 can be/is extremly fussy with memory at times.

Besides that, this is going off topic, my post was to simply say the method of "test each stick and slot one at a time" won't work on X99, as half the slots don't work unless the slot next to it is populated as well.

soo its normal that the board freezes or doesnt even boot if u use only one stick in A1?

so how should i now test my ram? :/ i think i am not able to return it though cause its 8months old:/

a note beside! i ve now turned on my rig, but it immediatelly turned OFF! before Post:/

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
soo its normal that the board freezes or doesnt even boot if u use only one stick in A1?

so how should i now test my ram? :/ i think i am not able to return it though cause its 8months old:/

a note beside! i ve now turned on my rig, but it immediatelly turned OFF! before Post:/

A1 should work alone. It's only the black slots that won't work alone. Although Asus recommend D1 for a single stick, A1 should work, but I wouldn't put it past X99 to just not like it for no reason.

It really shouldn't just turn off though, even with bad/no memory you should get a error code/beep. You checked the cpu socket for bent pins?

Last edited by Armadillo,

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the board could be possibly grounding out( the motherboard is touching the case). When you assembled it did you remember to put the peg screws on the case first and then place the motherboard on top of the pegs then you screw the screws into those pegs which holds the motherboard in place.
I did that with my build 6 years ago and couldn't figure why it kept locking up and freezing... I went back over everything and realized that I missed that... I was like fuck... had to take it all apart and put those pegs in place first and then boom problem solved.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think air2004 is talking about the brass standoffs in which case yes you do need to install the standoffs first then the motherboard, then the washer and screws,
otherwise yes you can short the solder joints on the other end of the motherboard if they touch the case.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think air2004 is talking about the brass standoffs in which case yes you do need to install the standoffs first then the motherboard, then the washer and screws,
otherwise yes you can short the solder joints on the other end of the motherboard if they touch the case.

there are pres pre installed :l

why shouldnt the bord turn off with bad ram:/ ??

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
X99 is really picky with memory and seems to be a problematic platform
I have a broken x99 rig myself, 5820k and asrock x99 oc formula that wont boot due to memory errors.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yeah:/ the last motherboard didnt want me to run the memtest too! ...it was...
X99 is really picky with memory and seems to be a problematic platform
I have a broken x99 rig myself, 5820k and asrock x99 oc formula that wont boot due to memory errors.

i ve exchanged the board.. i guess the problem is the ram:/

but i am not sure... :(

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so just to be sure!

how should i now check my x99 board?

what parts of the pc are broken ( what do u think)

how long should i wait?

what parts would you exchange?

so maybe what ram should i buy? could you recommend a brand?
corsair?

how much mhz?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.