Gaming Recommended First person shooters?

Mattotk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I second this, but I also recommend you play the rest of the Dead Space games. Well, maybe not Ignition.

Also, super glad you enjoyed Metroid Prime as much as you did but I think in a lot of ways I prefer playing them with a GameCube controller, so if you get the chance don't hesitate to try it. It's very intuitive actually.
Well, tho I started late, it was actually a good time to appreciate the game it is, the game is wonderful, Prime Echoes seems to be Prime 1 but better in several aspects, the power ups seem to be better delivered, its more intuitive when it comes to know where to go next etc.

I will play the Gamecube versions for sure, I watched comparisons long ago and if I remember correctly some physics were better in GC, I should get a GC controller first, using an Xbox 360 controller can't be the same.

Reactions: Kazmar

Mattotk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Conduit is pretty good.
I enjoyed of the game, so much that after beating it I went to play Conduit 2, Conduit 2 was better in almost every aspect, I had 1 crash tho, which never happened with other games, already finished Conduit 2 and I wish that the game had a constant framerate, not asking for 60 fps like Prime games because Conduit 2 clearly has better textures and looks better, but playing below 30 so constantly makes the game unpleasant at times, like in the Siberia crash map. Even with those heavy drops I finished the game.

Mattotk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Every time you start a game you have to press 2 + D-pad Right (+Z if you need to activate aiming in that control mode). The 2 button has to be held down all the way while pressing D-pad Right and then Z, i.e. don't press 2 + D-pad button, release and then press 2+Z separately.

The fact that the dpad of the gamecube controller is used on the wiimote by pressing the C+Dpad button is a very good idea, because it allows you to keep aiming and moving the character, something you can't do with the original gamecube controller because it forces you to move your thumb.
Oh so you actually meant to play Gamecube FPS using the IR of the Wii like if they were native Wii games, that is incredible, I was wondering how it wasn't done when Nintendont actually allows you use the Nunchuck tilt to simulate L-R buttons, thank you very much again.

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sin & Punishment for the wii is a great arcade shooter, another good one is Gunblade NY & LA.

Resident Evil 4 on the wii is pure awesomeness!

RE Darkside Chronicles is phenomenal! I had a blast playing the game till the end, I love the dialogues between characters, this made me appreciate Claire way more than any other game, and all of them are voiced by the original cast.
Umbrella Chronicles on the flipside have poor and imprecise controls that prevented me from liking the game.
Certain times you shoot directly on the head and the game don't register your shot, Its a mess.

Metroid P. Trillogy has better controls than the gamecube versions, I don't recommend you to change.

Kazmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, tho I started late, it was actually a good time to appreciate the game it is, the game is wonderful, Prime Echoes seems to be Prime 1 but better in several aspects, the power ups seem to be better delivered, its more intuitive when it comes to know where to go next etc.

I will play the Gamecube versions for sure, I watched comparisons long ago and if I remember correctly some physics were better in GC, I should get a GC controller first, using an Xbox 360 controller can't be the same.
Yeah get a real GameCube controller and an adapter, setting it to Wii U mode and installing a driver through Zadig makes it work flawlessly in Dolphin. I also quite like Prime 2, it's one of my favorite GameCube games. If you haven't watched them, The Geek Critique's retrospective on the trilogy is quite enjoyable, he mirrors a lot of my opinions quite well. Beside the artifact quest in the first game, which I actually enjoyed.

Metroid P. Trillogy has better controls than the gamecube versions, I don't recommend you to change.
RE4 is incredibly epic, I loved that game so much. Have you tried the originals? I think they're quite good. It's not like you can turn any faster in the Wii version, and does accuracy really matter if you have lock on? About the only advantage is being able to move the arm cannon while locked on, which is useful sometimes. And widescreen, of course, but that's unrelated to the controls.

Reactions: Mattotk

Mattotk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Sin & Punishment for the wii is a great arcade shooter, another good one is Gunblade NY & LA.

RE Darkside Chronicles is phenomenal! I had a blast playing the game till the end, I love the dialogues between characters, this made me appreciate Claire way more than any other game, and all of them are voiced by the original cast.
Umbrella Chronicles on the flipside have poor and imprecise controls that prevented me from liking the game.
Certain times you shoot directly on the head and the game don't register your shot, Its a mess.

Yeah I got Sin & Punishment, just haven't played it yet, didn't know Gunblade.

Finished RE4 several times on ps2, pc with mods and Wii, at least 3 times on Wii during the last months, its just too good, the game its easier because of the motion controls, despite of the fact that there are more enemies, the experience is too god and I played it in 2022 with "ugly" resolution.

I barely played the first mission of RE Dark Chronicles, I'm liking the game but I noticed frame drops during the market and first boss fight, is that normal? I was thinking that perhaps my wii is at fault, tho I only had framerate ssues with 3 games so far, Dark chronicles, Conduit and Conduit 2.

Reactions: Felold

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What?? You can play Goldeneye 64 with motion controls? Dude wtf!!

In the Not64 and Wii64 emulators in the controls configuration if you click on the button corresponding to the analog stick of the nintendo64 controller allows you to switch to aiming mode. Then the character movement that would correspond to the dpad buttons can be assigned to the nunchuk directions and that's it.

You also have an option to use the wiimote sensor as a steering wheel, ideal for games like Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing.

Attached are my control configurations for wiimote+nunchuk in these n64 emulators, among them the ones I use for shooters like Goldeneye or Turok. The first configuration is the one I use in general for all games.

Attachments

• not64 wii64rice controls.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by xunga,
  • Love
Reactions: Mattotk and Felold

Mattotk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
In the Not64 and Wii64 emulators in the controls configuration if you click on the button corresponding to the analog stick of the nintendo64 controller allows you to switch to aiming mode. Then the character movement that would correspond to the dpad buttons can be assigned to the nunchuk directions and that's it.

You also have an option to use the wiimote sensor as a steering wheel, ideal for games like Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing.

Attached are my control configurations for wiimote+nunchuk in these n64 emulators, among them the ones I use for shooters like Goldeneye or Turok. The first configuration is the one I use in general for all games.
Thank you for sharing and explaining that much.
Have you played the Gamecube shooters using the Wii Mote's IR? I tried 007 Nightfire but the IR only controls the vertical camera and there seems to be a huge delay, so its really better off using a wired controller with analog sticks. Perhaps is just that game and others actually play better, like allowing a full camera control with the IR.

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thank you for sharing and explaining that much.
Have you played the Gamecube shooters using the Wii Mote's IR? I tried 007 Nightfire but the IR only controls the vertical camera and there seems to be a huge delay, so its really better off using a wired controller with analog sticks. Perhaps is just that game and others actually play better, like allowing a full camera control with the IR.

Yes, using nintendont I have played all gamecube shooters and currently I still play them aiming at the screen without any problem.

For 007 Nightfire check the different control and aiming options inside the game, one of the control options use a configuration like the current shooter games and that is the one you should select.

Post data: you can play Exhumed with the Wii playstation emulator, among other shooters of the console like, for example, Disruptor, Alien Trilogy/Resurrection or Medal of Hornor Underground.

Last edited by xunga,
  • Wow

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Theres another great fps for the wii, Call of Duty Reflex Edition. Try this one, The quality of CoD games on Wii is not consistent at all.
But this one, Reflex Edition is really good. The controls are incredible, you can customize everything about them. The speed of the camera, the pointer, the style of the aim, you can change the icons, you can change the hud, you can remap every button, create combinations of buttons, change the motions... You have Freedom to decide how you wanna play the game.

In some parts I noticed fps drops, but not an insulting amount of them.
I think you should try, the graphics are good and the control scheme is one of the best on the console, If not the best.
The tutorial mission "the ship" is kinda meh, especially at the end, but the game helps you with numerous checkpoints.

The first mission after the ship is crazy good!

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, using nintendont I have played all gamecube shooters and currently I still play them aiming at the screen without any problem.

For 007 Nightfire check the different control and aiming options inside the game, one of the control options use a configuration like the current shooter games and that is the one you should select.

Post data: you can play Exhumed with the Wii playstation emulator, among other shooters of the console like, for example, Disruptor, Alien Trilogy/Resurrection or Medal of Hornor Underground.
I tried to play the game with motion controls, tried for hours yesterday with different configs.
One problem I had, aside from button configuration, was that the camera moved very slowly, not precise at all.
It was way easier to play using a regular control scheme.

Do you know anyway to change the speed of the pointer on the gamecube games?

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't know. If you don't like the control in 007 Nightfire, try other games with more options like the TimeSplitter games.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worth mentioning there is also a Wiiware FPS game. I can't speak to its quality but it is called "Onslaught".

There is also a Japan only FPS, again never played it, but it is "Mobile Suit Gundam: MS Sensen 0079"

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Sonic Mania on my Wii U despite owning it on Steam and Xbox.

Sometimes you just wanna do cool shit.
Good for you my guy 👍🏽
Post automatically merged:

Is not my first platform, I just want to play them,
More power to you. I was suggesting that there are other platforms out there that are conducive to a better gameplay experience for FPS titles. I own a Wii console, but it's not my go-to for playing FPS games.

Last edited by urbanman2004,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8G6DCnlLDQ