PS1/2 Recommended PS2 modchip?

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
Got a HDLoader myself and hell yeah it runs backup directly from the HDD in your PS2. I can't see what's the point if it could not anyway.

For 100% compatibility it is better to get HDLoader and a Swap Magic solution in case some games don't work on your HDL. Here's some compatibility list : http://list.ps2hd.com/

I got nearly 150 games, and only a few don't run correctly with HDLoader or HDAdvance. Like "DBZ Tenkaichi" which froze randomly, "Shadow Of The Colossus" which doesn't launch, same for "Samurai Warriors 2", "Street Fighter Alpha Anthology" and "NeoGeo Battle Coloseum", etc...

U can use the USB thing that load isos from an external USB HDD. Or else U ask a friend to put you HDAdvance on your memcard (with is PS2 connected with an RJ-45 cable to his computer to put files on the memcard), and then U can launch it via an original PSOne game that works as the loader of the HDAdvance.

Don't forget that some games and/or demos don't run on HDLoader. For exemple the FFXII demo doesn't boot but the full game does. FFVII DoC in JAP doesn't, but US release does. Etc..

To launch an *.elf file, with just a normal LAN RJ-45 cable, from your PS2 to your routeur. Then connect to your PS2 via an FTP program on the IP adress of your PS2. I don't really remember the walkthrough then, but I remember you can from there have access to the file on your memcards.

You take then the HDAdvance in the memcard format (some Ko instead of many Mo) and configure it. In a file U can enter the Serial of an original PSOne game U have. Then you finally put this file on your memcard via the FTP program connected to your PS2.

Then U put the PSOne original game in the PS2, you boot it and it will automatically come to a loader which allow U to launch HDAdvance.

Sounds kinda difficult, that's cause it's hard to describe ^^' Just check http://www.metagames-eu.com/downloads.php?...Playstation%202 and you're done with this.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iori-kyo-k: Sorry, I was a little confused by the whole, "get your friend to do it" part. Am I under the impression that I need someone who already has a chipped PS2 to make it work? Anyways, at the moment, I'm weighing my options.

1. Spend more money on a HDD, ethernet adapter, action replay etc and then spend time backing up over 20 PS2 games to the HDD I downloaded over the course of a while but safe in the knowing that the laser will be safe

2. Get the DMS EZI modchip. Install it. Play games. BUT TEH LASER MIGHT BE FUXXORS....

Really, thank you for a lot of the advice but in the end, it's option 2 that seems appealing. But the question is, which is the best modchip store that stocks the DMSEZI

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
It depends on the quantity of games you think will be playing.

If you modchip your PS2, you'll burn a whole DVD per game. So it become expensive if you come to play a lot. But if you buy an HDD, this ethernet adapter and the HDLoader, you're ready to go for as many games as you want !

And hell yeah the laser is safe and loading times are faaaaar quicker.

Btw, do you speak French ? Coz I just did a little tutorial to explain this mess on a French forum there : http://ipb.won-fma.com/index.php?showtopic=2350

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on the quantity of games you think will be playing.

If you modchip your PS2, you'll burn a whole DVD per game. So it become expensive if you come to play a lot. But if you buy an HDD, this ethernet adapter and the HDLoader, you're ready to go for as many games as you want !

And hell yeah the laser is safe and loading times are faaaaar quicker.

Btw, do you speak French ? Coz I just did a little tutorial to explain this mess on a French forum there : http://ipb.won-fma.com/index.php?showtopic=2350
Sorry. I can't read french. Anyways, the PS2 I was given doesn't seem to have much life anyways and besides, it was given to me for free anyways.

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
Okay, but I think you chose the modchip solution coz' you are a little afraid of the HDLoader one not working huh ?

I got it at home, and a Swap Magic too to play the 5% games that don't launch neither on HDLoader nor HDAdvance.

Fuck, I'm trying to make you don't lose money stupidly !! ;P

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got nearly 150 games, and only a few don't run correctly with HDLoader or HDAdvance. Like "DBZ Tenkaichi" which froze randomly, "Shadow Of The Colossus" which doesn't launch, same for "Samurai Warriors 2", "Street Fighter Alpha Anthology" and "NeoGeo Battle Coloseum", etc...
Newest HDLoader boots Shadow of the Colossus. Played through and beat it running on HDL.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, but I think you chose the modchip solution coz' you are a little afraid of the HDLoader one not working huh ?

I got it at home, and a Swap Magic too to play the 5% games that don't launch neither on HDLoader nor HDAdvance.

Fuck, I'm trying to make you don't lose money stupidly !! ;P
Yeah, but I seriously can't be bothered ordering tons of stuff since none of my gaming store doesn't stock the stuf I need

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but I seriously can't be bothered ordering tons of stuff since none of my gaming store doesn't stock the stuf I need

Like I say, just go with the DMS solderless if you're set on getting a modchip to simplify things. Now, if your new objective is to do it without ordering anything, your best bet is to go with the PSX exploit instead and have it boot either the zoneloader, cdloader, or cogswaploader .elfs (or have it boot LaunchELF and let you choose either of the 3 as well as any other .elf's you want to load). Since you've already got a PS2 that can load backups, you're already set for creating the PSX exploit on the memory card. Now of course, doing all of this still defeats your main objective in the beginning of the post:
QUOTE said:
Seeing as I already have a Slimline PS2 (using Swap Magic since I never opened it) I decided to experiment with the PS2 since I'm sick to death of constantly swapping the discs to play backups so I decided to get a modchip for it.
You're still swapping discs with this method
tongue.gif
So all in all, either get a solderless DMS or get an HD as well as a BBA if you don't have one to do the HDLoader method, that'll save you from swapping. Now, once again, even this goes against your new objective:
That being said, you're really left with one choice to meet your needs
tongue.gif

*cough*Solderless modchip (or any modchip in general, solderless just saves you from blowing up your PS2) if you hadn't caught on
biggrin.gif

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I suppose so. That said, do the chips require bios to be downloaded from somewhere else?
It should come with everything needed so you technically you shouldn't have to download anything, but once it's installed, you should still go check the manufacturer's site just to see if there have been any updates.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just done the equivalent of field stripping the PS2 console to check the inside and placed it back together within 15 minutes.... man, why do I only acquire stupid skills.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, my original plan of getting the DMS EZI is now scrapped for several reasons.

1. Been reading up on reports that it actually made tons of consoles dead
2. Cannot find it anywhere on the internet because it's always sold out and double the price of a chip that requires solder

So I figured that I might as well practice some more on soldering and get the DS SE Lite. Now, I need to know if this solder is recommended:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solder-Reel-500g-60-...1QQcmdZViewItem

And what watt the soldering iron should be...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Perpo @ Perpo: heyy does anybody knows a library where to find shader cache for ryujinx?