Reggie Fils-Aimé on NX "For us it's not about the specs"

When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

Reggie said:
"You know for us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us it’s about content. Nintendo is a content focused company. We create entertainment that makes people smile so for us, we’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to the Wii U as well as the NX in the future.

For us whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean. For us, we want to make sure we're bringing our best content forward and right now the reaction to Zelda has been more than we could have ever imagined."

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why Steam Machines are all the rage. Oh wait.
Those are definitely not the answer. I only use Steam as a launcher for my HTPC. SteamOS (and Steam in general) is too limiting. I'd imagine a linux based setup could work fine (as I'm using Mint 17.3 for my HTPC) but a streamlined HTPC would probably have to be running Windows and have an interface that probably doesn't currently exist.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
HTPC's not being adopted is the key issue - if they're not around, they're clearly not appealing, for whatever reason. Even if you're capable of constructing an HTPC as capable as a console or more, the concept is still intrinsically flawed because the general crowd doesn't want to deal with the "constructing" bit, not to mention the "maintaining" or "troubleshooting" parts of the equation. The only "driver" most people are familiar with is the guy in the funny hat driving their bus. Steam Machines were supposed to answer these issues by introducing pre-built PC-grade hardware in a console form-factor, but they failed because people want their consoles like they want their toasters - "put the thingy in and it just works". This just isn't an option on SteamOS, neither is it an option on Windows, so the whole idea didn't pan out.

Reactions: GBAFail

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HTPC's not being adopted is the key issue - if they're not around, they're clearly not appealing, for whatever reason. Even if you're capable of constructing an HTPC as capable as a console or more, the concept is still intrinsically flawed because the general crowd doesn't want to deal with the "constructing" bit, not to mention the "maintaining" or "troubleshooting" parts of the equation. The only "driver" most people are familiar with is the guy in the funny hat driving their bus. Steam Machines were supposed to answer these issues by introducing pre-built PC-grade hardware in a console form-factor, but they failed because people want their consoles like they want their toasters - "put the thingy in and it just works". This just isn't an option on SteamOS, neither is it an option on Windows, so the whole idea didn't pan out.
Yeah, that's why I said the interface needed for that doesn't exist yet. Something like that maintaining itself would be easy for the manufactures to set up. People would just be streaming media and playing games, so it wouldn't need anything beyond basic maintenance. Between other set top boxes, smart TVs, and HTPCs (for those willing to take the time to set them up) I think it'll be harder and harder for consoles to appeal to the standard users. I don't know if the NX will be good but it'll be interesting to see Nintendo respond to this and the current consoles.

Of course most set top boxes and smart TVs in general won't be an option for core gamers but the large chunk of the market seems to be fine with smart phone gaming.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well that's their loss. This is so much better looking than a console, and it actually has sufficient cooling so it's not just a RRoD/YLoD box: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139046

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well that's their loss. This is so much better looking than a console, and it actually has sufficient cooling so it's not just a RRoD/YLoD box: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139046
None of the main three competitors have any overheating issues this gen though. It's not really their loss - they're paying for their time - time otherwise spent thinking what will work on what, with what and how. Different strokes for different folks - I grew up with PC gaming and I don't think I'd switch back to it with the consoles we have now.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PS4 runs within an acceptable heating range. It feels just ever so slightly warm to the touch on the bottom. It's cool everywhere else. Even while playing games like Uncharted 4. I doubt it's going to overheat.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I respect its not a specs war.. and i agree.

BUT

The NX NEEDS to have hardware at least near the newer machines for THIRD PARTY TITLES.

No one doubts Nintendo smash and destroy first party title production but they are going to go bankrupt at this rate if they keep neglecting third party studios!!

Their first priority is to contact every third party studio and say can you port or make games easily for our system! please nintendo!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But thats huge and looks like crap.
It takes up about the same total space as a console, and the difference is nil. It's a square box that pushes more detailed graphics than a flat console box. I've never once bought electronics for fashion reasons. Sufficient cooling is the priority. Otherwise you end up with RRoD/YLoD, or just plain old weak APUs in the XBO/PS4 to avoid heat issues. Then you have to release PS4.5 and a new Xbox just to make up for the fact that the consoles are already so far behind in tech specs.

For god sake I could build a PC out of parts entirely from 2010 and still out-perform the current-gen consoles.

Last edited by Xzi,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

It takes up about the same total space as a console, and the difference is nil. It's a square box that pushes more detailed graphics than a flat console box. I've never once bought electronics for fashion reasons. Sufficient cooling is the priority. Otherwise you end up with RRoD/YLoD, or just plain old weak APUs in the XBO/PS4 to avoid heat issues. Then you have to release PS4.5 and a new Xbox just to make up for the fact that the consoles are already so far behind in tech specs.
Looking at it, it looks like it'd take the space of three consoles at least. That is one fat case.

Reactions: GBAFail

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Looking at it, it looks like it'd take the space of three consoles at least. That is one fat case.
Pictures are deceiving. It's only a foot wide. Most consoles are more than a foot long. They just squished this case vertically rather than horizontally as they do for console cases.

The whole argument being moot since you could just get a dead console, gut it, and use it as a case for a better PC. They've never looked good enough to be worth the hassle, though. Flat black or white box. Whoop-dee-doo. Maybe one of the classics would be fun, like NES or SNES, but not the uninspired designs Sony and MS release these days.

Last edited by Xzi,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pictures are deceiving. It's only a foot wide. Most consoles are more than a foot long. They just squished this case vertically rather than horizontally as they do for console cases.

The whole argument being moot since you could just get a dead console, gut it, and use it as a case for a better PC. They've never looked good enough to be worth the hassle, though. Flat black or white box. Whoop-dee-doo. Maybe one of the classics would be fun, like NES or SNES, but not the uninspired designs Sony and MS release these days.
There's no way in hell you're fitting an mITX build with a discrete graphics card inside a Wii or Wii U

Reactions: Deleted-355425

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way in hell you're fitting an mITX build with a discrete graphics card inside a Wii or Wii U
Hell, most custom 980 Ti cards that are fast enough for 4K gaming pretty much would be bigger by themselves than an entire Wii, and that's not factoring in the power and cooling requirements.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hell, most custom 980 Ti cards that are fast enough for 4K gaming pretty much would be bigger by themselves than an entire Wii, and that's not factoring in the power and cooling requirements.
Yeah but you don't need a card that's fast enough for 4K to beat out current-gen consoles. All you gotta do is beat medium settings @ 30fps 1080p. Still probably wouldn't fit that in a Wii or WiiU, no, but if size was all that mattered everybody would have an Nvidia Shield. It's like 1/4th the size of current-gen consoles, and it still runs games independently at about the same settings. Also displays 4K video.

Last edited by Xzi,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but you don't need a card that's fast enough for 4K to beat out current-gen consoles. All you gotta do is beat medium settings @ 30fps 1080p. Still probably wouldn't fit that in a Wii or WiiU, no, but if size was all that mattered everybody would have an Nvidia Shield. It's like 1/4th the size of current-gen consoles, and it still runs games independently at about the same settings. Also displays 4K video.
You also are forgetting the fanboys that would go full blown aspergers syndrome on anyone that isn't building something capable of doing 8K@144Hz with 420GB texture packs and 64x SSAA.

Xbox One S just officially made the Shield TV irrelevant, because it could do so much more, and supports 4K BluRay movies, since as we know, not all movies end up on Netflix.

Even the GTX 960 in my older system now is at least 1/2 if not 2/3rds the volume of a standard Wii system.

The other thing you're forgetting is that most people don't want something like that sucking down power like that, when most consoles are able to use less than 50 watts of power in non-gaming stuff like streaming or movie playback. For anyone paying their own electric bills and in places where it costs more than 10¢/kWh, a gaming PC front and center in a home theater starts to eat at the power bill.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1