Reggie Fils-Aimé on NX "For us it's not about the specs"

When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

Reggie said:
"You know for us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us it’s about content. Nintendo is a content focused company. We create entertainment that makes people smile so for us, we’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to the Wii U as well as the NX in the future.

For us whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean. For us, we want to make sure we're bringing our best content forward and right now the reaction to Zelda has been more than we could have ever imagined."

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

S

Saiyan Lusitano

This just goes to show how individual tastes can be. I'm by no means a Nintendo fangirl, but most of these games I really like, including Wii Fit U and Nintendo Land. Star Fox is excellent, so is Mario Tennis and Kirby. I like Captain Toad, too. This didn't stop me from enjoying both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One, but that still doesn't change the fact that Xbox One exclusives are few and far between, and those that deserve the praise (I'm thinking of you, Sunset Overdrive), don't get it. At least not enough.
What's your obsession with a game being or not exclusive? As long as they're fun that's all that matters.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And I'm saying XBL is going to work like that. It HAS to because you'll be able to play with/invite XBone players. Even GTA V does this with social club. There is no standard online gaming service for ALL PC games. It's not even an argument, it's just true. A console player doesn't want six accounts with different friend lists to play online.
You don't need a standard online gaming service. If you have a game on PC you can play that game with other people on PCs and often with XBL or PSN players depending on the game. Rocket League, for example: PSN and XBL players cannot play with each other, but PC players can play with both PSN and XBL players. And let's be honest: Steam is the standard. Nothing else comes even close. EA's Origin would probably be the next biggest, and it has about 1/10th the library size of Steam. No one console library in the history of gaming has been bigger than Steam. At that point, it's the most standard gaming service there is. Not to mention it installs on PS4s.

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has had a running pattern of meh specs, yet far better games than any other console on the market running since the dawn of fucking time, including the Wii U. I'm really confused as to why everyone seems fairly nettled by the idea of games over specs

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has had a running pattern of meh specs, yet far better games than any other console on the market running since the dawn of fucking time, including the Wii U. I'm really confused as to why everyone seems fairly nettled by the idea of games over specs
The issue is that you can have great games that also demand high specs for all the detail in them. Watching Nintendo over the years has become somewhat sad simply because their consoles attract exactly zero third-party support and their first-party titles are rehashes of the same classics that cannot be topped. I see no point in buying a new Nintendo console when I can emulate and upscale Ninty games from when they still did original stuff.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

READ MY SIG!

S

Saiyan Lusitano

"yet far better games than any other console on the market"

• Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
  • Mario Party 10
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
  • Kirby: Rainbow Curse
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (passed around too many times, soulless and unoriginal)
  • Nintendo Land (compilation of tech-demos)
  • Game & Wario (more tech-demos)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games
  • Star Fox Guard (a tower defence game disguised as a Star Fox game)
  • Wii Sports Club
And now to fun games but still rehashes:
  • Super Mario 3D World (= 3D Land 2)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (should've been DLC for 3D World)
  • Wind Waker HD (an HD remaster)
  • Twilight Princess HD (another HD remaster)

Nintendo still makes great games but they're not as good as as they used to be in the past.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
READ MY SIG!
To be honest, I prefer quality over graphics. Demanding a Titan just because you must add a bit of blur on ironsights and pump 8.3E6 pixels per 16.6 mSec is not an excuse to make me want a higher number of teraflops inside my box that gets hot and lights up. I prefer higher quality writing, higher quality voice acting, better optimized gameplay and absoloutely no bugs. Publishers/Developers saying that they need better hardware for their games are just trying to get cash flowing.
We are already at the limit observing diminishing returns, there isn't much to improve on in terms of horsepower for your average Joe.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I prefer quality over graphics. Demanding a Titan just because you must add a bit of blur on ironsights and pump 8.3E6 pixels per 16.6 mSec is not an excuse to make me want a higher number of teraflops inside my box that gets hot and lights up. I prefer higher quality writing, higher quality voice acting, better optimized gameplay and absoloutely no bugs. Publishers/Developers saying that they need better hardware for their games are just trying to get cash flowing.
We are already at the limit observing diminishing returns, there isn't much to improve on in terms of horsepower for your average Joe.

And you just proved again that my signature is right and you don't get it

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
And you just proved again that my signature is right and you don't get it
Somehow gamers keep missing this point! Games are about gameplay however if your system lacks the over all resources ("power") to be able to do the gameplay the developers want, then your system is going to miss the boat on titles. It is that simple.
"...however if your system lacks the over all resources ("power") to be able to do the gameplay the developers want, then your system is going to miss the boat on titles..."

This looks like to me we must keep up to be able to play good games because they require good hardware (From Today (2016) and onward).

Last edited by MrJason005,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"...however if your system lacks the over all resources ("power") to be able to do the gameplay the developers want, then your system is going to miss the boat on titles..."

This looks to me like we must keep up to be able to play good games because they require good hardware.
Welcome to the internet, and PC gaming in general.

Sorry, Not even Undertale will run on Windows 98.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sweet, US patent. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0192067.html

Just opened it up and read the abstract... if the rest is as good as this I am in for a treat.
Screenshot_2016-07-06_18-21-19.png

I thought politicians and business types were good for speaking endlessly about nothing of great relevance... turns out I should look closer to home.

All that is a fancy way of saying we have rumble and the speakers are angled such that despite the holes pointing down relative to the screen that they are at such an angle that they play out the front. Said rumble either keys off the sound being loud or played a set pattern. Spoiling later but the vibration is apparently more than a lop sided load on a motor but is in fact a linear one which can do more than PWM control or something. Hopefully we one day see nx tablet orchestra

The diagram mentions RAM, flash, wireless, a display driver separate to the CPU, touch, acceleration, vibration and buttons. Or in other words a tablet. The independent CPU and GPU might be of some interest as this is not necessarily the wii u 2, equally the claims say hand-held information processing device.

The summary really likes covering sound and rumble working together. I am not sure what I am supposed to be seeing but most things there are not even person versed in the field but person which made it to second hour of digital signals processing. Curiously though it seems we are back in "build a chip for this maths" territory as one of the summary pages mentions having a controller make the volume decrease in one while increasing in the other, aka a pan. Equally some of the descriptions make it sound like they have their own midi controller that plays audio clips back (I saw one thing mentioning vibration happening as a sword is drawn).

Had they been trying for some kind of standing wave amplification or something I could have almost respected it but this is a do nothing patent, other than potentially setting out the nature of "information processing" within the device it means very little as far as I can see.

Edit. Might as well put the claims up for others to read
Screenshot_2016-07-06_18-46-52.png

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Kinda ordinary to me, but I'm less focused on Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I'm more focused on the rumored Mario & Pokémon games, and a possible NX Virtual Console if it would ever exist.

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Kinda ordinary to me, but I'm less focused on Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I'm more focused on the rumored Mario & Pokémon games, and a possible NX Virtual Console if it would ever exist.
Exactly this. I am not going to make the same mistake of buying a system which can only play one or two of my all time favorite games. I don't care what stupid gimmick it has, nor how portable it is, i just won't make that same mistake again!

If this next Pokemon game is some sort online Pokemon Stadium or some Pokemon Snap Go, then you can count me out, it's one more reason for me save my money.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

"NX Virtual Console"? What would that be?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9HgJ3SgjpA