Reggie Fils-Aimé on NX "For us it's not about the specs"

When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

Reggie said:
"You know for us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us it’s about content. Nintendo is a content focused company. We create entertainment that makes people smile so for us, we’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to the Wii U as well as the NX in the future.

For us whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean. For us, we want to make sure we're bringing our best content forward and right now the reaction to Zelda has been more than we could have ever imagined."

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bah. It's easy to get your own point validated when you're dismissing Rare and Nintendo titles from the get go. Plus, people usually can't be bothered to reach beyond the common top title line-up to prove you wrong. Then again, they can't really, because there's no arguing of the numbers in the N64 game library. Still, I could say that WCW / nWo Revenge for the N64 sold better than plenty of PlayStation titles, which people hold in high regard. In fact, it sold better than Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, Syphon Filter, Star Ocean and Xenogears. So, what do sales numbers mean, when the majority of people would probably pick one of the PlayStation titles over the higher grossing wrestling game? The problem lies within the preconceived notion of high ranking games, perpetuated by countless top ten lists.

All of this is neither here, nor there. I just wanted to point out that high sales don't always guarantee a high rank in the collective gamer consciousness. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone sold better than any Resident Evil game on the PlayStation. It sold better than Metal Gear Solid and Crash 3, for crying out loud. It's one of the best selling PlayStation games of all time, and I honestly can't tell you if I have ever seen it on a "must play" list.
I played it and really enjoyed it, it's an excellent game in its own right. I would easily recommend it, along with the GBA one. You missed the point of the exercise. There are 370-odd games, listing 20 is obviously possible, so I wouldn't stack the odds against myself for no reason. The point was to see which games you actually remember fondly, or which you'd play again on the system. I expected to see a list of Nintendo and Rare games and that's what I got - beat by beat. This does demonstrate a lack of variety, on PlayStation I remember games from all sorts of devs, Sony games are easily in the minority. I don't dismiss good games - they're objectively good. I was pointing out a pattern in the collective consciousness of gamers - the fact that "the N64 was good because it had a bunch of Nintendo games on it". That's not enough - it wasn't enough back then and it's not enough now. I love the NES library, but not because of Mario - I love it because of Contra and Castlevania. Do you catch my drift now? :)

As for sales of individual games, this is also a matter of variety. With limited choices, more people will buy the same game than if they had other options. With the N64 vs. PS1 it was a 1:10 ratio when it comes to releases - there was more games, thus more choice. The sales were diluted across the board as a result.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The NGC's failings were numerous too - it had no support for media whatsoever.
But the NGC had an internet attachable adapter for the internet although I can't even name a single game that was playable online. PS2 and Xbox stated on the front cover which games were playable online.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But the NGC had an internet attachable adapter for the internet although I can't even name a single game that was playable online. PS2 and Xbox stated on the front cover which games were playable online.
Basically it existed for Phantasy Star Online, I can't think of anything else. There was no infrastructure, either - Sony had Netplay, Xbox had XBL, Sega had the Dream Arena, Nintendo had hope.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could do it blindfolded with my arms behind my back:

Metal Gear Solid
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Spyro
Legacy of Kain (Soul Reaver and Blood Omen)
Diablo
Breath of Fire
Parasite Eve
Grand Theft Auto
Time Crisis
Silent Hill
Tenchu
Oddworld
Crash Bandicoot
Syphon Filter
Star Ocean
Persona
Castlevania (seeing that SOTN is superior to N64vania in every way)
Klonoa
Tomba
Ace Combat
Medal of Honor
Megaman X
Suikoden
Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Fear Effect
Driver
Armored Core
Front Mission
Gex

The list goes on. Those aren't even single titles, they're franchises with multiple entries in them. Some were released on the N64 as well, but the ports/installments sucked dick - nobody plays N64 Resident Evil or N64 Castlevania. Even if they were on it, they lived on on the PS1 while the N64 ones fell into obscurity. I could spend literally all day enumerating good PS1 games that everyone loved, I haven't even scratched the surface. People remember the PS1 very fondly, saying otherwise is complete lunacy.
You named franchises not games. Some are franchises that are also available on other platforms and some are more loved on said other platforms. Oh boy Klonoa. Nintendo owners sure are missing out. Oddworld was on PC a month after it's release on Playstation and is the platform most people care about. People like the 2D Castlevania more than 3D, the new spiritual successor as my proof. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/description

The difference between Nintendo 64 and the Playstation is that anyone can name 20 good games off the top of their head because each one had an incredibly solid identity and personality.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are you saying that nobody remembers MGS, FFT, FFVII, FFIX, Gran Turismo, Driver, Tomb Raider, Medievil, Spyro, Ape Escape, Crash (Team Racing being objectively superior to MK64, simply by being the same game but with less RNG), Klonoa, Xenogears, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Abe, Winning Eleven, Alundra, Dragon Quest VII, Tenchu, Resident evil 1-2-3, Silent Hill, Valkyrie profile, Vagrant Story, castlevania SOTN, and the other myriad of sports games (rally/fishing/tennis/skating).

Most of the aforementioned games keep getting kickstarter nostalgia projects that are based upon them and are fueled by hype alone. Or they get remade, or are still ongoing franchises that sell. How can this be the case?

Bloodstained has many more fans due to SOTN (a single PS1 entry) than the 5-6 games present on Nintendo handhelds that were released over a decade, and was much more influential. Surely that wouldn't have been the case if nobody remembered the system, especially knowing that both the GBA and DS were super successful.

The N64 had the 2 superior platformers (Mario, B&K) and Zelda (the best blend of action/adventure that lacked in high quality on PS1). Everything else either was inferior or didn't even exist on the system. I loved both and I'm glad I owned both, but if I had to choose one, I wouldn't even know 80% of the genres existed if that choice was the N64. Plus, the PS1 had more GOOD GAMES, a fuckload more, as listed above. Yes, it also had more shovelware, but you can choose not to buy them, which unless your mom bought games for you, that cannot just be a negative, what the fuck.

The PS1 is by far more fondly remembered and had the best library overall by a huge margin, even if I believe that SM64 was the single highest quality/most important game that generation. I think you just were a child who only owned one system so he didn't know better but to build nostalgia for the only thing he had.

The N64 was practically nonexistant outside of north america. Can't get attached to something if you don't have it.
I actually didn't own either system as a child because my family was poor.

I bought them when I was 16 out of curiousity and noticed I found myself playing N64 a lot more. Playstation games just lack personality, imo. Even as a rabid lover of Megaten and Final Fantasy, those games just lack the same charm the N64 had.

I actually had more fun on the Playstation 2 than the first one, which I bought when I was 18.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You named franchises not games. Some are franchises that are also available on other platforms and some are more loved on said other platforms. Oh boy Klonoa. Nintendo owners sure are missing out. Oddworld was on PC a month after it's release on Playstation and is the platform most people care about. People like the 2D Castlevania more than 3D, the new spiritual successor as my proof. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/description

The difference between Nintendo 64 and the Playstation is that anyone can name 20 good games off the top of their head because each one had an incredibly solid identity and personality.
If I named individual games, you'd be in an even worse position as those franchises have multiple installments. Whether something is an exclusive or not was not relevant to the conversation, but you could easily list 20 PS1 exclusives as well. 2D Castlevania is indeed better, hence people love SotN and hate Castlevania 64, what's your point? The reason people find it easy to name the same 20 games on the N64 is that they all played the same 20 games since the library is so small and samey. The whole point was to show that when asked to list 20 games, the respondent will list those particular games, which means that he had the same experience as every other user - no variety whatsoever. You never get to hear about an N64 game that's really cool and somehow flew under your radar - they don't exist. By the way, being enamoured by the N64 is a typically American thing - the system sold more units in the States than in Europe and Japan combined, hence the N64 love campaign is so prevalent in U.S. media - everywhere else the system didn't even register on the radar.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I named individual games, you'd be in an even worse position as those franchises have multiple installments. Whether something is an exclusive or not was not relevant to the conversation, but you could easily list 20 PS1 exclusives as well. 2D Castlevania is indeed better, hence people love SotN and hate Castlevania 64, what's your point? The reason people find it easy to name the same 20 games on the N64 is that they all played the same 20 games since the library is so small and samey.
In other words, you're outright admitting the Playstation is bloated with the same thing over and over...

Reminds me of those 101-in-One games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In other words, you're outright admitting the Playstation is bloated with the same thing over and over...

Reminds me of those 101-in-One games.
Quite the opposite - it has plenty of original games. It has long-standing franchises with sequels, but that's hardly a bad thing considering the fact that at least half of the N64's Top 20 are sequels to NES and SNES games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But isn't Kimishima pretty much the Spokeperson tho?
I would say that Reggie and Iwata were the faces of the company for many years, and after Iwata's untimely departure, it's really up to Reggie to save the company's face. He should've said "How does it stack up to the PS4 and Xbox One? When you see it, you'll shit a stack of bricks, that's how! It's going to be the next best thing since the invention of the wheel, it will redefine the way you play games, so hold onto your pants because they'll slide right off if you don't" and then keep his mouth shut, regardless of the actual specs. This non-obligating, question-avoiding bullshit of "we care about content" does damage to the brand before the product is even complete.

Reactions: GBAFail

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would say that Reggie and Iwata were the faces of the company for many years, and after Iwata's untimely departure, it's really up to Reggie to save the company's face. He should've said "How does it stack up? When you see it, you'll shit a stack of bricks, that's how! It's going to be the next best thing after the invention of the wheel, it will redefine the way you play games, so hold onto your pants because they'll slide right off if you don't" and then keep his mouth shut, regardless of the actual specs.
It was a PR error, but don't blow it out of proportions.
There's still plenty time to fix it, if the actual console is good (imho, comparable with the current PS4)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was a PR error, but don't blow it out of proportions.
There's still plenty time to fix it, if the actual console is good (imho, comparable with the current PS4)
All I'm saying is that it's a blunder, I'll judge the NX when I see it, but Nintendo is not in a position to make mistakes right now.

Reactions: GBAFail

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wow. I usually don't watch his videos nor like him but I've to say he showed me a side of him that I hadn't seen before and I'll also add that I completely agree with him. I grew up playing Nintendo and Sega but mostly Nintendo and if it wasn't due to the big N I might've not been as interested in gaming as I am now. It's disappointing that Nintendo and Reggie still don't get what they're doing wrong and this alone is pushing me from considering to purchase the NX at launch (not that I was going to anyway but I had hoped they'd know it better).

IKRIGHT!
I watched his other feminism video about the new X-men movie, AND Ohhh MY GOD did I love the way he freaked out AND calls out the actress yelling feminism! I'm honestly sad as well about the NX and nintendo in general, i hope we're all wrong and it turns out that they lead the slowly dying console industry to a new age, like the nintendo name becomes a platform or something! But honestly that's what i'm hoping for but after what reggie said...i don't even know!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thing is, the problem isn't just the specs. The Wii U began losing support while the PS3 and the 360 were still getting games, and those were weak machines in comparison. The problems go deeper than that, and they're connected to how the company operates. As far as I know, the draconian licensing terms never quite went away and Nintendo is notoriously difficult to negotiate with. A couple years back EA was in talks with Nintendo over how their network works - Nintendo wouldn't budge and let EA's infrastructure to work alongside Nintendo Network. Miraculously, a few months later EA Access launched on the Xbox. I don't think that was a coincidence. Sony declined cooperation as well, but they have the position of the market leader and had a lot to lose with Instant Game Collection being a competing offer. Nintendo had no reason to staunchly stand their ground, but they did anyways. I feel that they've never woken up from the dream of the late 80'ies/early 90'ies when they had virtually no competition, they seem to believe that they exist in a vacuum of "Nintendo content", it's been like this for years. They have to make it "worth it" for developers to invest in their platform, otherwise all the specs in the world will be for naught.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Tbh Nintendo is kinda right to a degree, it's not the specs it's the games, but that said they can't just alienate customers who want to just play cod or fifa.....that said it does also kinda boil down to Dev laziness and the "shady" tactics I.e Sony/ms basically bribing third party devs for exclusives or timed exclusives, which IMHO is a terrible trend, it's kind of insulting for Sony to essentially say " we have bribed Activision to delay the release of their game/dlc on other platforms.........it's for the gamers"..... Is that f**k for the games that's because Sony get it, the generation is actually won by the platform that can monopolise the "popular" games, and there is 1 easy way to do that, and that's to buy them off, Nintendo just aren't ready to admit that they are not in control any more and that they have to do/pay what the big publishers demand or they will get boycotted, so yeah its not so much Ms/Song's fault per say, but more just how the industry has gone full circle taking control from the console manufacturer and putting it back with publishers

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tbh Nintendo is kinda right to a degree, it's not the specs it's the games, but that said they can't just alienate customers who want to just play cod or fifa.....that said it does also kinda boil down to Dev laziness and the "shady" tactics I.e Sony/ms basically bribing third party devs for exclusives or timed exclusives, which IMHO is a terrible trend, it's kind of insulting for Sony to essentially say " we have bribed Activision to delay the release of their game/dlc on other platforms.........it's for the gamers"..... Is that f**k for the games that's because Sony get it, the generation is actually won by the platform that can monopolise the "popular" games, and there is 1 easy way to do that, and that's to buy them off, Nintendo just aren't ready to admit that they are not in control any more and that they have to do/pay what the big publishers demand or they will get boycotted, so yeah its not so much Ms/Song's fault per say, but more just how the industry has gone full circle taking control from the console manufacturer and putting it back with publishers
Meanwhile Nintendo is going around buying developers - Fatal Frame, a long-standing PlayStation franchise, is now owned by Nintendo. They're all doing the same thing. ;)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Meanwhile Nintendo is going around buying developers - Fatal Frame, a long-standing PlayStation franchise, is now owned by Nintendo. They're all doing the same thing. ;)
It's about time, loosing rare was a major precursor imo , Nintendo needs to step up and wrestle back some of its Dev control

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7