Hacking Reinand/Cakes emunand hangs randomly on homescreen, Gateway stable.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Same Emunand/SD card and if I boot with gateway it's 100% stable, reinand or cakes both boot fine and usually work OK but occasionally just hang/freeze the console when moving around on the homescreen.
What causes this? Is it just a particular app that the CFW doesn't like? I do have the 'custom banner' wifi SD card manager app installed so that will be the first thing I'm going to try uninstalling but the rest afaik are either downloaded from the eshop, legit cias and then some dev tools.
I guess another way of phrasing this - if using the custom banner version of the sd card management app, not the 'v2' designed for pasta, what would be the expected behavior - would the the entire console freeze before even launching the app or (as i've read elsewhere) the app simply not load when a launch is attempted?
The only other thing I can really think of is that reinand/cakes don't do region unlocks so there could possibly be an out-of-region package installed that's causing issues. Do the devtools have specific regions? It's somewhat difficult to troubleshoot as even if I start removing packages one by one there's no guarantee the system will crash as the hanging is intermittent. Similarly, if I were to create a new emunand and add the packages one by one I wouldn't be assured that a given package causes hangs due to the intermittent nature. I just wonder if there is anyone who has experienced anything similar to this.

ChrisN8

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've used the one made by @Apache Thunder for months and have never had it freeze or crash, so I don't think it's that.
Really ? Strange, i used the app too & when i switch to rxtools i got the same problem as the OP.
But it still a lead, he can check that & if its not the problem he just will have to reinstall it, no big deal.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not sure, I've had Reinand forever and the SD Management app/icon/etc. hasn't caused any problems. I guess it's just one of those things where everyone's 3DS is different.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Did you install it while in Gateway mode? It's possible you used my older build that was zero key encrypted. If you install a zero key encrypted app in Gateway mode and attempt to use it in a different CFW, you will get random crash when trying to hover over it and even if it didn't crash, it would crash when you try to start it. Go back and make sure you have the newer build that isn't encrypted. That should resolve your problem.

Do not use zero key encrypted stuff while in CFW. CFW does not enable zero key encryption since it's a key normally only enabled on dev consoles. However Gateway mode enabled it. It's best to use CFW to install new CIAs of things since that way DevMenu will refuse to install a zero key encrypted app and you won't have to worry about finding out the hardway later on with your home menu randomly crashing. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
Reactions: peteruk and daxtsu

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Did you install it while in Gateway mode? It's possible you used my older build that was zero key encrypted. If you install a zero key encrypted app in Gateway mode and attempt to use it in a different CFW, you will get random crash when trying to hover over it and even if it didn't crash, it would crash when you try to start it. Go back and make sure you have the newer build that isn't encrypted. That should resolve your problem.

Do not use zero key encrypted stuff while in CFW. CFW does not enable zero key encryption since it's a key normally only enabled on dev consoles. However Gateway mode enabled it. It's best to use CFW to install new CIAs of things since that way DevMenu will refuse to install a zero key encrypted app and you won't have to worry about finding out the hardway later on with your home menu randomly crashing. :P

Well, there you have it I suppose. I never knew that. Thanks for the info, Apache.

ChrisN8

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Oh i see that's why it doesn't work on my CFW, that's nice but is it possible to provide me a link to your app for cfw ?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Can't share it here. It's an official Nintendo app so it's copyrighted.

Google "MicroSD Management SD Edition. I think you shouldn't have trouble finding it. I updated my thread "at that certain site" so the old link should be gone now. I only have the unencrypted version available there now.

Reactions: peteruk and daxtsu

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I think this zero-encryption is the issue from the sound of it, Is there any means to audit my installed packages for anything with zero-encryption? There's a possibility I may have a CIA of a game title or two which fall into this category. I'd say 90% of my titles are 'legit cias' but I wouldn't know how to identify those that aren't.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Really the only way to find out is to simply go through them all in Home Menu while in CFW. If you see a banner, it worked. If it freezes or the banner does not show, then it's zero key'ed.

Oh that's easy enough - so and zero keyed title, regardless if it has a modified banner or not, will cause the CFW to freeze when it's hovered on? Or would I need to attempt to launch them all one by one?

Is zeroing the encryption key what some refer to as 'cryptofixed'?

Does replacing a zero keyed cia of a game title (cia) result in corruption of savegames? I recall this being an issue some time ago with migrating saves between 3dz and 3ds formats as the saves were tied to the rom headers. I would assume gateway would be storing saves in an unencrypted/zero keyed manner when playing a cryptofixed cia because it would use the key from the title to encrypt the savegame but I could be wrong, it might just be using the system's inbuilt keys?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The crypto the game CIA used shouldn't effect save games as those use authentication/encryption tied to your movable.sed so it won't be affected. :P

I'm not sure what encryption crypto fixed games are using. If they used Decrypt9WIP, it should be using retail encryption which of coarse will work fine in any CFW. :P

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The crypto the game CIA used shouldn't effect save games as those use authentication/encryption tied to your movable.sed so it won't be affected. :P

I'm not sure what encryption crypto fixed games are using. If they used Decrypt9WIP, it should be using retail encryption which of coarse will work fine in any CFW. :P

Yea sorry my understanding of 3ds crypto is pretty crude. I kinda know there's two main keys, the original and the one which was leveraged somewhere around 9.5/9.6 and that for a while the second key was unavailable for various groups were decrypting certain releases like binding of isaac and smash bros in order to make them playable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share