Tutorial  Updated

ReiNX Installation and Use

WE'RE CLOSED AGAIN, GO TO REINX.GUIDE

DZo7ejK.png

ReiNX: It just works.
So, you want to install ReiNX?

Good, you probably should. Now that it has working sigpatches, ReiNX is the most effective free CFW on the market right now! But you're gonna need to get into the thing, so that's where this helpful guide comes into play. You'll need a few things before we get started:

If you brick your Switch somehow- which would be impressive, honestly- I'm not responsible for that. If you follow these instructions to the letter, you'll have a working and more importantly sexy custom firmware on your system that will suit all your legal needs!
Installing NSP files is going to get you banned. This is only for people who are indifferent about being banned or have been banned already. You were warned.

• A Nintendo Switch console
  • An SD Card that's been formatted to be used by your Nintendo Switch
  • A USB C to USB A cable
  • Some way to get into RCM mode, please consult this comprehensive list of ways to enter RCM mode.
  • The sheer willpower and hype to take your console to the next stratosphere!
Now that you have all the hardware, you'll need some software, too.
There's a file called Darth Meteos' Super Special SD Stash v5.0.zip, that has sigpatches in it to allow you to run NSP backups. Please grab it here. The zip file has everything you need for the installation ahead. It also contains the following homebrew:​
  • Tinfoil (to install NSP files)
  • Retroarch (all the best emulators)
  • FTPD (for moving files between your PC and your Switch)
  • NX-Shell (a basic file manager)
  • EdiZon (for backing up/restoring/editing savegames)
  • The Homebrew App-Store (for getting even more homebrew)
The zip file will also contain a bin payload to boot the CFW. However, if you've never connected your Switch to a computer, you'll need to do a couple of things first, to get the drivers playing fair. This guide is assuming that you've already done that, but if you're brand new to the scene- welcome, by the way- you'll need to do some one-time setup.​

You'll need these things:
  1. Once you've got those, connect your Switch in RCM mode to your computer. Windows will recognize an APX device. This is good!
  2. Run Zadig with admin privileges. On the dropdown menu, find APX. That's your Switch!
  3. Next to a green arrow, there will be a series of driver types that you can cycle through. Choose libusbK (v3.0.7.0), and do it carefully, because this is the most important step.
  4. Click the big button. Congratulations, your Switch is now ready to run payloads!
  5. Extract the folder from the TegraRcmGUI_vX.X_portable.zip that you downloaded, (with X.X being the version, mine is 2.1) and open TegraRCMGUI.
  6. To run payloads, simply click the folder icon and browse to the testpayload.bin and inject the payload. Congratulations on running your first payload!
This only works on Windows, because that's what I have. Mac users, check elsewhere.
Now, for the main installation.
  1. Power off your Switch and connect your Switch's SD Card to a computer of your choice.
  2. Extract the contents of the zip file you downloaded. There'll be a bin file, an SD Files folder, as well as a little readme with more information. Check the spoilered text for what it should look like:
    CFYHDkE.png
  3. Go into the SD Files folder and drag the contents onto the root of your SD Card. Overwrite everything.
    NOTE: If you don't know your firmware, you can find it in the system settings menu. The latest (as of this writing) is 5.1.0.
  4. If your card was empty except for the Nintendo folder beforehand, you should have a layout like the one in the spoiler:
    ktbVCD0.png
  5. Now that the SD Card is set up, please return it to your Nintendo Switch and enter into RCM mode through the method of your choice.
  6. Using TegraRCMGUI, inject the ReiNX.bin Payload from the Stash package to get into your Switch.
  7. After the splash screen vanishes and you see the Nintendo Switch logo, you can disconnect the Switch from your computer. You're in!
Accessing the homebrew menu is easy, just open the album! Inside will be the Tinfoil NSP installer and the Homebrew App Store, which in turn has basically everything you could ever want. Keep an eye on the 'Temp, though, for future updates~

When inside the homebrew menu, you can use Tinfoil to install nsp files, by placing them into the /tinfoil/nsp/ folder on your SD Card. All homebrew goes into the /switch/ folder.

IF YOU NEED NOGC, PLEASE MAKE A FILE CALLED NOGC IN THE REINX FOLDER
READ THE FUCKIN' F.A.Q BEFORE POSTING, IF YOUR QUESTION IS ANSWERED IN THE F.A.Q, IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED OUTSIDE OF A SNIDE REMARK, POSSIBLY

Thank you so much for making the choice to use ReiNX!
ljgCB0x.png

Last edited by Darth Meteos,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AWESOME, just one thing, can you please add the Backup of nand procedure for the first RCM guys and a big warning to never, ever skip or even do anything RCM related before doing a full Nand Backup!!!!

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did the sigpatches get removed?

Was there some specific reason for them getting removed?
The files got reported as illegal. We don't agree with that and feel our files are protected under fair use, however, to err of the side of caution, we have removed all the easily accessible files from our server.

We do have a group of shitters well-meaning people who seem to have made a misplaced campaign out of sharing them for peoples' use, and those people are being taken care of. Please do not come to the ReiSwitched Discord and ask for sigpatches, because, more likely than not, you will get them, and we can't support them legally.

Last edited by Darth Meteos,

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
The files got reported as illegal. We don't agree with that and feel our file are protected under fair use. However, to err of the side of caution, we have removed all the easily accessible files from our server.

We do have a group of shitters who seem to have made a misplaced campaign out of sharing them for peoples' use, and those people are being taken care of. Please do not come to ReiSwitched and ask for sigpatches, because, more likely than not, you will get them, and we can't support them legally.
Thats a shame, hope rei gets his/her workaround to this issue to be "shitter" proof, people are way too anal about things nowadays.

Myron49485

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Sorry if I am asking a dumb question. I did read that this will get you will get banned. But will you even get banned if you do everything offline and never go online until you delete everything and go back to your normal switch firmware?

1. I have the same question as Dotaku. Let's say that I use ReiNX to play NSPs without ever connecting to the internet, then reset my Switch via the "Initialize Console" option in System Settings, is it possible for me to get banned after resetting? (In other words, will there be any traces of ReiNX after resetting the Switch?)

2. If it's possible to get banned even after resetting the Switch, would running a patched "emunand" be safer than patching the system directly? (Assuming that only hardmod is used and no softmods)

3. Could future Switch CFW support emunand?

Last edited by Myron49485,

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The best way to not get in banned is to not do anything to your switch, no mods no payloads a virgin switch,
It’s thay simple, play around you will get banned, at this stage of the game there is no work around no magical cert that will get you back online that might happen in the future but not at the moment. Me I have been banned but I have had more fun with my switch in the last month that I’ve had the whole time having it since it came out, I am on the look out for another switch ie a tablet version only but I’m not in a rush I’m happy to have some fun play the stuff, do some mods on some games I I like poking around like looking inside. Fuck it’s been said before have two switches one for one line one for hacking the crap out of. At the start of the game you can’t have both one or the other I choose the other

Last edited by fixingmytoys,

leunamm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The files got reported as illegal. We don't agree with that and feel our files are protected under fair use, however, to err of the side of caution, we have removed all the easily accessible files from our server.

We do have a group of shitters well-meaning people who seem to have made a misplaced campaign out of sharing them for peoples' use, and those people are being taken care of. Please do not come to the ReiSwitched Discord and ask for sigpatches, because, more likely than not, you will get them, and we can't support them legally.
and what sx is authorized? does not contain illegal code ?? because what is seen more here are links to refer to maxconsoles and other sites and on these pages forwards to download the SX OS from the manufacturer's website. Is not it the same as putting REINX with a "mega" page link with only 1 text file and inside the download link?

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and what sx is authorized? does not contain illegal code ?? because what is seen more here are links to refer to maxconsoles and other sites and on these pages forwards to download the SX OS from the manufacturer's website. Is not it the same as putting REINX with a "mega" page link with only 1 text file and inside the download link?
Well yeah, I would agree with that, but to be absolutely certain, since our discord got so big so fast and we're probably being watched, is to not share them. If people want them and ask around, they'll find them.

Reactions: fixingmytoys

Gpro1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I don't have Super Special SD Stash v1.4, and want to get this fully working on ofw 3.0.0, can I use files from Super Special SD Stash v1.3, and add them to the latest pinned files discord (.bin and sdfiles.zip)? If so, what should go where?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I don't have Super Special SD Stash v1.4, and want to get this fully working on ofw 3.0.0, can I use files from Super Special SD Stash v1.3, and add them to the latest pinned files discord (.bin and sdfiles.zip)? If so, what should go where?
I believe V1.4 has files for 3.0 that work better than those used on V1.3

Murakur0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, noob here... I'm just getting into the Switch's scene and I had a couple of questions before messing with my console since I'm so confused, if you don't mind lol.
What's the difference between ReiNX and Atmosphere? Not to encourage piracy but, is it ever going to be possible to install NSP and XCI's without getting banned? And finally, are messing with the joycon and/or AutoRCM ever going to be the only ways to get into RCM, or can we expect a "better" "safer" way to do so in the future? Thanks for all your hard work!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...