Hacking [Release]BootNTR Selector

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I encountered that same bug, so I downgraded. the bug in question is the fact that ntr selector says "success" after a pause, then ntr cfw isn't loaded into memory. this is 11.0 btw. ;)

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update in the fix status. Looks like the issue is a bug in NTR CFW itself, not BootNTR.
In order to fix the issue, I have to recompile NTR CFW. Since the source of NTR 3.2 and 3.3 is not available, those version will be forever dead in the latest Luma.
That's a real shame, but thank you for investigating and resolving where possible. Is there a known cause in the recent Luma changes that have exposed this underlying bug in NTR? Obviously the changes will have been made for good reason, but some people might be interested in a slightly faulty or incomplete Luma 11.0 that could still support NTR 3.2/3.3.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That's a real shame, but thank you for investigating and resolving where possible. Is there a known cause in the recent Luma changes that have exposed this underlying bug in NTR? Obviously the changes will have been made for good reason, but some people might be interested in a slightly faulty or incomplete Luma 11.0 that could still support NTR 3.2/3.3.
Basically, looks like @cell9 didn't know how to properly implement DMA (totally understandable, as NTR CFW was developed very early in 3DS homebrew history, so many stuff was unknown), so he used a hacky way to tell if a transfer is finished. This hacky way relied in checking for specific values in the return value of the DMA. However those values are returned only because of a bug in the official kernel. Looks like the value have been kept stable until this release of Luma (as it now changed the way svcs are handled), now the kernel is returning something else and NTR does not expect the new value. The "real" solution would be to just fix NTR CFW code to not read the values that shouldn't be read, but I think I can simulate the values NTR is expecting from the plugin loader.

Here is a more technical explanation:
Link in the screenshot: https://github.com/44670/NTR/blob/c764c0f68c08f3518a9f284f5fda1bf3b2636123/source/pm.c#L127
1654800477592.png
1654800524930.png

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I've not tried it, I think rosalina has input redirection.
Yes and

is what it looks like,

Just because fuck it, I'm not reading 124+ pages today:

N3DSXL into a controller for switch, without being limited to playing Sm4.5h U
A digital scale
A magic 8-ball
A harmonica/music instrument-thing
A clock/stopwatch/alarm (switch did it and it's....a thing)
A calendar
A combo of a clock, calendar, and flashlight (just make the screens max bright with a color wheel w/timer?)
A sleeptimer so you can listen to VGM/play before you sleep
A file ripper to get music from games with built-in playback (or player that rips music)
A shitty photo editor
A shitty NFT creator

Tencoll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made an account just for this. Help would be appreciated.
Only one version of BootNTR (from the selector) works on my N3DS XL.
When I boot up the app, it defaults to 3.2. Trying 3.3 and 3.6 give me

Loading 3.6/3.3...
Load failed!
#FILEOPEN_FAILURE
#LOAD_AND_EXECUTE

What am I doing wrong? For reference, I am using the Luma3DS version required, and using the latest BootNTR selector (2.13.6)

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Made an account just for this. Help would be appreciated.
Only one version of BootNTR (from the selector) works on my N3DS XL.
When I boot up the app, it defaults to 3.2. Trying 3.3 and 3.6 give me

Loading 3.6/3.3...
Load failed!
#FILEOPEN_FAILURE
#LOAD_AND_EXECUTE

What am I doing wrong? For reference, I am using the Luma3DS version required, and using the latest BootNTR selector (2.13.6)
Looks like the app cannot open the files it should have generated in your SD. Do you see anything inside SD:/3ds/BootNTRSelector?

Reactions: godreborn

Tencoll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the app cannot open the files it should have generated in your SD. Do you see anything inside SD:/3ds/BootNTRSelector?
..Huh. Got an error message.

"3ds\BootNTRSelector is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted"

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
..Huh. Got an error message.

"3ds\BootNTRSelector is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted"
As I suspected, your SD card got corrupted, follow this steps to recover it:

1) Remove the SD card from your 3DS and insert it into your computer. (Or any other device that is able to read SD cards.)
2) Copy all the contents of your SD card to your computer. This step is very important to prevent data loss. Most likely it will fail to copy the BootNTRSelector folder, try to skip it. Don't delete the folder as the delation may cause other stuff to corrupt.
3) Use your preferred formatting tool to format your SD card to FAT32 (even if it is already formatted to FAT32).
4) Copy all the files you backed up in step 1 to your SD card again. This will rebuild the file system and remove any possible corruption.
5) Try to run BootNTRSelector again, it should be working now.

If SD corruptions happens again, you will have to test your SD card with H2wtest as it may be faulty.

Tencoll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I suspected, your SD card got corrupted, follow this steps to recover it:

1) Remove the SD card from your 3DS and insert it into your computer. (Or any other device that is able to read SD cards.)
2) Copy all the contents of your SD card to your computer. This step is very important to prevent data loss. Most likely it will fail to copy the BootNTRSelector folder, try to skip it. Don't delete the folder as the delation may cause other stuff to corrupt.
3) Use your preferred formatting tool to format your SD card to FAT32 (even if it is already formatted to FAT32).
4) Copy all the files you backed up in step 1 to your SD card again. This will rebuild the file system and remove any possible corruption.
5) Try to run BootNTRSelector again, it should be working now.

If SD corruptions happens again, you will have to test your SD card with H2wtest as it may be faulty.
Did everything you said to the letter and it gave me the same error. However the folder opened, so that means the corruption is gone. I decided to go out on a limb and do what someone in a different thread said and wiped BootNTRSelector off my 3DS then reinstalled. That did it! Thanks for your help, quick responses, and calling to attention that my card was corrupted.

Reactions: PabloMK7

phantom-lord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Thank you for this app :)

I have read the first post and I didn't find any answers.

Is there a combatibility list of games that runs with Mode3 ?

And where can I find the list of hotkeys for cheat for example ? (for cheating I just read I need a plugin, ok, so I think my second question is garbage but I let it just is case).

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello,

Thank you for this app :)

I have read the first post and I didn't find any answers.

Is there a combatibility list of games that runs with Mode3 ?

And where can I find the list of hotkeys for cheat for example ? (for cheating I just read I need a plugin, ok, so I think my second question is garbage but I let it just is case).
There isn't really a compatibility list, but you can't tell it's mode3 because with the game running, you can't open the internet browser from the home menu. (Or when you close the game from the home menu, you get a wait a moment message and the console reboots).

Reactions: phantom-lord

phantom-lord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There isn't really a compatibility list, but you can't tell it's mode3 because with the game running, you can't open the internet browser from the home menu. (Or when you close the game from the home menu, you get a wait a moment message and the console reboots).
When I talked about compatibility list, I meant support of extra RAM, like on the N3DS.
If I understand the meaning of Mode3.

But I'm sorry, I don't understand your answer :(
I don't know why you talk about the internet browser.

SSMB worked well with BootNTR Selector and I didn't have a reboot when I closed the game.

Last edited by phantom-lord,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work