Homebrew [Release] Discord 3DS Client

Sleepy Flower Girl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's been recently a lot of demand for this all of a sudden. I'll be honest and say that I haven't been working on this. I still make Discord related stuff but the 3DS client has been pretty challenging for me. I'm not used to writing software for really low spec systems. Discord server data can get pretty big with lots of data like nicknames, role colors, avatars pics, etc for every user. And Discord keeps growing with more and more users and features that will mean we will need more ram to store all that info. A rewrite might be needed to move this server data out of the 3DS's ram and into the SD card. A big shift to how the client works right now.

Last edited by Sleepy Flower Girl,
Reactions: rvtr

Sleepy Flower Girl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it have Discord Rich Presence?
I not sure if you mean having the client show other user's presence, or the client sending the presence of the game you are playing.

Discord does sent user presence data to all accounts that are online and is the biggest use of the client's network usage. The client gets the data, reads it, finds out it's presence data, and then throws it away. Storing it all when we are fighting for ram would be hard for now. They are planning on changing this on Discord's next version of their API, not sure if that'll be given to user account but bots will be able to tell Discord's servers to not send them rich presence data.

As for sending the rich presence, you'll need a thin client that can run in the background of games and send data based on what's happening in the game. which would be tricky to do with limited amounts of resources on the 3DS. I don't have anything knowledge on that stuff. Plus it'll need to be done on a per game basis. We might be able to just send the data when opening and closes but not sure how that'll work.

Buck_Lenski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I not sure if you mean having the client show other user's presence, or the client sending the presence of the game you are playing.

Discord does sent user presence data to all accounts that are online and is the biggest use of the client's network usage. The client gets the data, reads it, finds out it's presence data, and then throws it away. Storing it all when we are fighting for ram would be hard for now. They are planning on changing this on Discord's next version of their API, not sure if that'll be given to user account but bots will be able to tell Discord's servers to not send them rich presence data.

As for sending the rich presence, you'll need a thin client that can run in the background of games and send data based on what's happening in the game. which would be tricky to do with limited amounts of resources on the 3DS. I don't have anything knowledge on that stuff. Plus it'll need to be done on a per game basis. We might be able to just send the data when opening and closes but not sure how that'll work.
You should totally make a discord server dedicated to bringing this about people's attention on homebrew. I'd be down to get people involved. :DDDD

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
You should consider dropping development altogether. Discord is a terrible platform as-is, and unofficial clients are against the Discord ToS, so they come with a high ban risk. It's simply not a good idea to keep developing this. If you really want a chat client for the 3DS, write one for another platform entirely, such as Telegram, Matrix, or XMPP.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, this is a good program, PSVita port version was getting people banned (i think) because it was sending way too many requests(?) to discord itself, so i'd say this is pretty safe to use. Haven't gotten banned yet, could use a lot more features.

Buck_Lenski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should consider dropping development altogether. Discord is a terrible platform as-is, and unofficial clients are against the Discord ToS, so they come with a high ban risk. It's simply not a good idea to keep developing this. If you really want a chat client for the 3DS, write one for another platform entirely, such as Telegram, Matrix, or XMPP.
apparently a bot token is not against the tos and is completely okay.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
apparently a bot token is not against the tos and is completely okay.
Yes, because bot accounts are meant to be automated and interact with the API. This client is intended for user accounts, which are not meant to be automated or interact with the API. Discord sees the user account's use of the API as an automated account and may ban the user for it.

Reactions: Sono

Sleepy Flower Girl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, this is a good program, PSVita port version was getting people banned (i think) because it was sending way too many requests(?) to discord itself, so i'd say this is pretty safe to use. Haven't gotten banned yet, could use a lot more features.

The main difference between this and that client was that we request as little as possible. Instead Discord sends us the data in real time like the official Discord client. However Discord generally doesn't resent stuff from the past unless requested. So data we get from Discord needs to be stored somewhere. The vita/3DS client on the other hand will request stuff at will and doesn't need to store as much info to operate as Discord can sent it when needed. This puts the load on Discord servers which when done by many users can quickly add up and so bans are given.

This client needs a similar system but instead of asking Discord we ask the SD card. Well kind of but I think you get the gist.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When is it not? especially when they can't shove nitro in our faces at least once a week, lol
Unless discord makes a 3ds app. which at this point id say never. Then, its NEVER going to be ok to ever use the unofficial ones, They are against discords TOS. Period.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
anyways sometimes some of my servers just. break the thing, like i try to navigate to the first one and BAM it's dead, luckily i still have acess to rosalina so i can just reboot that way.
I find servers with Carl bot break the app. Maybe that is just me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like cinnamon raisin toast in the mornings, with my vodka orange juice.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I like cinnamon raisin toast in the mornings, with my vodka orange juice.