Homebrew COMPLETED [RELEASE] EasyRPG Player - RPG Maker 2k/2k3 "emulator" for Switch

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks dude, you are doing gods work. Now people who don't want to learn a programming language can create Homebrew games and fans of RPG-Maker games can enjoy their games on the go. No joke, I'm more hyped about this than about Retroarch and its cores.

Thanks!
We hope that we can someday provide our own editor and more features for game creation :) (but freetime projects always go a bit slow).

There is also a EasyRPG Core for RetroArch in the works because this gives some extra functionality we currently don't (plan to) support like better directory chooser, button remapping and postprocessing shaders. See it as an optional bonus, we will still keep our standalone version around.

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is now available in the easyrpg.org download section. The files use our continious integration service which means they will always be up-to-date with the latest EasyRPG Player improvements (similiar to all other platforms we provide). It doesn't matter if you use SwitchDB or our website, because switchDB links our files directly.

Here is finally the official announcement in our blog: https://blog.easyrpg.org/2018/03/easyrpg-player-now-available-as-nintendo-switch-homebrew/ Also contains the button mapping and the expected folder layout.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited by Mastak,

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Is now available in the easyrpg.org download section. The files use our continious integration service which means they will always be up-to-date with the latest EasyRPG Player improvements (similiar to all other platforms we provide). It doesn't matter if you use SwitchDB or our website, because switchDB links our files directly.

Here is finally the official announcement in our blog: https://blog.easyrpg.org/2018/03/easyrpg-player-now-available-as-nintendo-switch-homebrew/ Also contains the button mapping and the expected folder layout.

Enjoy! :)

Well done guy's looks great.
Sorry for not helping out on the debug.

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bug report:

With the latest easyrpg build, some .mid files won't play, I will get an "... .mid is unsupported" error instead. However, other .mid files play just fine. This is one of these .mid files, which are "unsupported":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixt6mer3ut95kaf/Lands_25.mid?dl=0

In the last easyrpg build (from 26th feb) these files (which are "unsupported" now) were functional.

carstene1ns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
f4ke.de
XP
Country
Germany
@DarkOrb: We are aware of this issue.
Problem is the MIDI library we use by default now (WildMidi) does not like some files that are not correctly following the standards.
You can try renaming/removing the configuration file to fallback to fmmidi.

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I removed the file and the midi works fine now. But I found another bug:

In Vampires Dawn (it's the only game I tried so far with EasyRPG, so It might not be the only RPG Maker 2000 game with this bug) the option to escape from a fight is greyed out. If I copy the save file from my switch to my pc and try it with the very same version of the game installed on my pc, I'm able to escape from a fight just fine. This is very frustrating because whenever you try to level up and encounter a random hard enemy, you're pretty much screwed, especially in a game like VD, where you have to budget your saves since you have only a limited amount of "Savestones".

Last edited by DarkOrb,
D

Deleted-442439

EasyRPG Player is a software allowing you to run games built with RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003 on your system.
It actually supports several consoles and now Switch support got added.

Sourcecode can be found here: https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player

Download latest nightly build:
http://switchdb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/16

How to install

- Place nro file inside /switch/easyrpg-player
- Extract the data files zip archive inside the same folder
- Place games folders inside the same folder

Great work! I have not touched RPGmaker before, but my understanding is that the engine is fundamentally a HTML5 based engine? If so would it be possible to create a general HTML5+JS player for Switch? I don't have the experience in C++ to even start to use Libnx, but if a dev could make that happen we could massively increase the homebrew library!

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Great work! I have not touched RPGmaker before, but my understanding is that the engine is fundamentally a HTML5 based engine? If so would it be possible to create a general HTML5+JS player for Switch? I don't have the experience in C++ to even start to use Libnx, but if a dev could make that happen we could massively increase the homebrew library!

You're probably confusing with latest RPG Makers (i stopped following RPG Maker world with VX but afaik MV is probably what you're referring).
From 95 to VX, they're not HTML engines but standard executables (in the case of RPG Maker 2k/2k3, RPG_RT.exe)
Btw you can already build your games using RPG Maker 2k/2k3 and then run them on Switch with this.

Last edited by Rinnegatamante,
D

Deleted-442439

You're probably confusing with latest RPG Makers (i stopped following RPG Maker world with VX but afaik MV is probably what you're referring).
From 95 to VX, they're not HTML engines but standard executables (in the case of RPG Maker 2k/2k3, RPG_RT.exe)
Btw you can already build your games using RPG Maker 2k/2k3 and then run them on Switch with this.

Nice, but I would rather not learn a new engine :/ If we just get a webview / canvas player through the HB launcher that can launch custom HTML from the SD card I would be in heaven lol.

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I removed the file and the midi works fine now. But I found another bug:

In Vampires Dawn (it's the only game I tried so far with EasyRPG, so It might not be the only RPG Maker 2000 game with this bug) the option to escape from a fight is greyed out. If I copy the save file from my switch to my pc and try it with the very same version of the game installed on my pc, I'm able to escape from a fight just fine. This is very frustrating because whenever you try to level up and encounter a random hard enemy, you're pretty much screwed, especially in a game like VD, where you have to budget your saves since you have only a limited amount of "Savestones".

Is anybody aware of this issue?

carstene1ns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
f4ke.de
XP
Country
Germany
There are multiple things that affect battle encounters and we may not have implemented all of them yet (... also there may be bugs of course).
Please send us a savegame so we can inspect the specific map. Also, we need to know which version of VD (1, 2?), HD(?), EN/DE?, etc.
Thank you.

Reactions: DarkOrb

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Tried to use the latest build if easyrpgplayer on my 4.1.0 Switch (hekate HBL).
EasyRPG boots like a charm but as soon as I load a game (Romancing Walker), I get messages that files cannot be found.
2018051100234200-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
2018051100234700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Here's my SD-Layout:
upload_2018-5-11_0-31-1.png

upload_2018-5-11_0-31-36.png

upload_2018-5-11_0-31-56.png

Sound doesn't work at all.

Any Idea?

Last edited by xXDungeon_CrawlerXx,

Miqote

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Rinnegatamante, you're the best! I've loved your work on the VITA, and are delighted to see you working on the switch as well. You're the best <3

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: CatmanFan

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you can read in the bug report thread (https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/issues/1363) this is a problem with how the Switch handles filenames on the sd card.
Instead of using Unicode they decided to use Shift-JIS which is used in Japan only. Therefore many filenames are invalid because they can't be represented in Shift-JIS.

Maybe libnx is able to work around this partially later or until we add support for loading from ZIP archives. But don't expect this feature soon.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs. +1