Homebrew [Release] OpenBOR for 3DS

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there a way to scale down paks that display outside of the viewable area?, Unfortunately there are quite a few I have that do that

I recommend using these builds:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-openbor-for-3ds.546379/page-2#post-9478049

When a resolution higher than 320x240 is detected, scaling to fit the screen is forced automatically.

If you've been using older builds it may be required to delete the generated configuration files for the .paks, found in the 'saves' folder ( just the .cfg files )

When still having issues, do let me know which .paks are having issues.

zhuwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The attached builds have the initial loading time reduced. Initial load is near instant now.
Thanks for the update. Now loading game is much faster. All config files left by previous build must be deleted though. Can you pls retain the function of enabling the parallax layer by 3D slider? Also in this build, I can't close the app by pressing the Home button?:)

Oldyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, i am bumping the thread:

here are some things users need to know:

Some openbor games play perfectly using older builds of the engine - one example is Night Slashers X -

other OpenBor games are still updated or have been recently updated and should work fine using @MrHuu 's latest 3DS engine -

so this means 2 things:
perfect , bug free games on older OpenBOR need a 3DS version of the older port

OR

Interested Users need to update those old games to be compatible with the latest 3DS engine -

back in 2019 i updated Night Slashers X to wide-screen format and accidentally made it compatible with the latest engine -
bad news is: the newest engine introduced some bugs i have not been able to fix.....

However - with enough interest & support from MrHuu & forum members with better understanding of programming that mine, we can make ports of openbor games completely compatible & maybe even take advantage or use some of the 3dS's features...

either way, there are some things that are easy to do, like making sure the games have the correct resolution on the 3Ds, optimizing the music to make the size more manageable and modify levels so they fit better the 3DS resolution -
at the end of the day, such openbor games would be pretty much 3DS exclusives, and if it comes to a point that they can be made 3D:

Like M2's remakes, that would be even better

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this isnt working for me. Im using citra on my android phone, what path do i put the folders in?
Post automatically merged:

trying to run this on android using citra but the games dont show up on the list. can anyone tell me perhaps where to place the folders?

where do i put the .pak files when running citra on android?

Last edited by tallpr24,

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either way, there are some things that are easy to do, like making sure the games have the correct resolution on the 3Ds, optimizing the music to make the size more manageable and modify levels so they fit better the 3DS resolution.
How exactly do I do that? Because I'm having crash issues with quote few OpenBOR games I just downloaded. Coincidentally, the ones I'm most interested in. It's really frustrating.

Marvel Infinity War and Justice League Legacy both crash halfway through initial load. He-Man crashes on me after level select and trying to go to the first level. There anything I can do on my end to optimize these .pak files or anything...?

Oldyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How exactly do I do that? Because I'm having crash issues with quote few OpenBOR games I just downloaded. Coincidentally, the ones I'm most interested in. It's really frustrating.

Marvel Infinity War and Justice League Legacy both crash halfway through initial load. He-Man crashes on me after level select and trying to go to the first level. There anything I can do on my end to optimize these .pak files or anything...?
to modify an openbor game, you need to edit it
use a program called paxplode, after that the .pak file will be converted to a data folder, in this data folder the first thing you can edit is the video.txt file this file will change the resolution of the game screen, on the music folder, you can pretty much get rid of all the music, after you do those 2 changes, you can use the packing program to re-pack the data folder into a .pak file and test on the 3ds and see how it plays.

next, every level on the levels.txt needs to be edited so entities spawn on the right places, usually this is done on most levels by adding or subtracting values, for an example of how its done, you can download the 2019 version of nightslashers widescreen from archive .org and compare the original levels vs the wide-screen levels.

if the game works with no music, the next step is to find a way to optimize the music even more and unpack and re-pack again

the 2019 game also uncludes those packing and unpacking tools.

the hard part is figuring out what version of openbor a game needs, the latest release of NSX 2023 needs a special version of the engine, same with streets of rage X.
other games use the latest official, so those games you mentioned might need an older version of the engine, and so that means that MR.Huu would need to compile a different version of this 3ds app for every openbor version they need.

for example - according to version i have on this computer, the he man game needs to use openbor 3.0 july 20 2018 -
the github for this version is this one:
https://github.com/DCurrent/openbor/releases/tag/v6330

best thig to try is to find people who could help make these compilations.

NOTE:
according to DC, the engines main creator, openbor games should be treated more like stand alone games rather than being seen or treated like an emulator.

for the older titles a list must be made to see how many modules share a particular version of the engine, i ignore how many games use engine version 6391...

Marvel Infinity War and Justice League Legacy both crash halfway through initial load. He-Man crashes...
then again these game smight simply run if a new 3ds app is compiled using the correct "core" or build:
Justice League Legacy needs openbor 3.0 August 29 2018 Build
closest source code is openbor 6390 or 6391

marvel infinity war needs openbor 3.0 August 29 2018 Build too

6390 is an august 14 2018 build, and i cant find the source code for those in the github, and if i am not mistaken, the source code is a must if a 3ds version is to be compiled.....

6391 is an april 8 2020 build

Last edited by Oldyz,
Reactions: Thee_Stranger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1