Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for this - I for one will be using it :D

Fun fact: My daughter was using her Amazon Kids Fire tablet the other day and was flipping for new things to download. She went 'ooh, Sonic' and I looked to find they actually have the Headcannon Sonic CD port on the Kids Fire :rofl: trying to show a three-year-old how to play it is challenging but she did well enough manning the jump button.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I tried the "port" method, but couldn't get it to work. Plus, I don't want a downgraded version. I want to play Sonic CD at its normal quality, and the only way to do that, is to play it on Picodrive, but I can't. I really need someone to coach me through the process, if that's at all possible. I'd like help right now, but if no one is available, I can wait.

Edit: nevermind. I fixed my problem!
bro, the port is not a downgrade, it's an UPGRADE. It's got stereo3D, and eeverything from the game is untouched, only thing that's not perfect from my experience is loading times and glitchy special stages. But the game itself runs flawlessly and you have 3D. You're missing out

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bro, the port is not a downgrade, it's an UPGRADE. It's got stereo3D, and eeverything from the game is untouched, only thing that's not perfect from my experience is loading times and glitchy special stages. But the game itself runs flawlessly and you have 3D. You're missing out
This is a stupid question but how do I actually download the necessary files from the project on github? The site's layout makes my head hurt :wacko:

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is a stupid question but how do I actually download the necessary files from the project on github? The site's layout makes my head hurt :wacko:
look for "releases" on the right column. it'll take you to the important part with the links. If there's no releases then you're pretty much fucked lol. But the sonic CD project does have releases AFAIK

Reactions: Maximumbeans

FNAF_Creep

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nice! It might help someone out if you share what you did to fix the problem, just in case someone else has the same issue and needs help themselves.

This isn't true! It's not worse at all - the 3DS port is based off the Whitehead mobile remake, which is by all means the best version of the game.
It's been a while since I've read this thread, but here's what I did. I simply converted the '.cue' file to a '.bin' file using a file converter application. I don't know if it fixed my problem at 100%, but I got music in! I don't know if the right music is used at the right time, though. For example, I don't know if the right music is used in the first zone.

Oh. Ok then. But I still prefer playing on my 3DS (on-the-go).

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried playing Trouble Shooter using 0.94 and 0.93, but for some reason pressing B acts as pressing both A & B (fire and special weapon), and pressing C acts as C & Start (flip directions and pause). A and Start do nothing. The game is technically playable... but I can't charge specials without letting go of the fire button, nor flip directions without pausing and unpausing. The compatibility list doesn't list this problem, do other people have this issue?

EDIT: Actually, if someone has gotten this emulator (or bubble's other emus) building on the current devkitPro 3DS toolchain, could you post how? I'm interested in fixing this myself but I keep getting errors about malloc and string not being declared that I don't know what to do about.
Code:
3dsexit.cpp
In file included from f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:11,
                 from f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\cstdlib:75,
                 from f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\stdlib.h:36,
                 from F:/devkitProProjects/emus3ds/src/3ds/3dsexit.h:4,
                 from F:/devkitProProjects/emus3ds/src/3ds/3dsexit.cpp:4:
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:91:34: error: expected initializer before 'throw'
   91 |              __alloc_size2(1, 2) _NOTHROW;
      |                                  ^~~~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:108:74: error: expected initializer before 'throw'
  108 | void    *malloc(size_t) __malloc_like __result_use_check __alloc_size(1) _NOTHROW;
      |                                                                          ^~~~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\stdlib.h:145:69: error: expected initializer before 'throw'
  145 | void    *realloc(void *, size_t) __result_use_check __alloc_size(2) _NOTHROW;
      |                                                                     ^~~~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\cstdlib:144:11: error: 'calloc' has not been declared in '::'
  144 |   using ::calloc;
      |           ^~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\cstdlib:151:11: error: 'malloc' has not been declared in '::'
  151 |   using ::malloc;
      |           ^~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\cstdlib:164:11: error: 'realloc' has not been declared in '::'
  164 |   using ::realloc;
      |           ^~~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\stdlib.h:59:12: error: 'calloc' has not been declared in 'std'
   59 | using std::calloc;
      |            ^~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\stdlib.h:65:12: error: 'malloc' has not been declared in 'std'
   65 | using std::malloc;
      |            ^~~~~~
f:\devkitpro\devkitarm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\12.2.0\stdlib.h:73:12: error: 'realloc' has not been declared in 'std'
   73 | using std::realloc;
      |            ^~~~~~~
make[1]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/base_rules:80: 3ds/3dsexit.o] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:240: build] Error 2

Last edited by EvilJagaGenius,

LDigital

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I got this from universal updater but am finding there is an issue with the music. it’s like different layers of the music are playing at different speeds or are offset/delayed/lagging other parts.
For example the kick drum is out of time with the rest of the music and it’s breaking my brain.
It is the same issue with 2 different n3ds, both download from the same place

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I got this from universal updater but am finding there is an issue with the music. it’s like different layers of the music are playing at different speeds or are offset/delayed/lagging other parts.
For example the kick drum is out of time with the rest of the music and it’s breaking my brain.
It is the same issue with 2 different n3ds, both download from the same place
I've gotten this issue a while back as well. I don't think anyone has attempted to fix it.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone has attempted to fix it.
That's kind of a shame considering Jenesis DS doesn't seem to run several of the games I've tried on it, like the old SSI port of Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I downloaded PicoDrive just because of this but haven't tried it yet to see if it will run it. Having a sound issue but still playable would be a step forward from that, I guess, but still not the same as what this hardware is capable of.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's kind of a shame considering Jenesis DS doesn't seem to run several of the games I've tried on it, like the old SSI port of Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I downloaded PicoDrive just because of this but haven't tried it yet to see if it will run it. Having a sound issue but still playable would be a step forward from that, I guess, but still not the same as what this hardware is capable of.

Try using an old 3DS or a old 2DS, the issue is most likely due to the different hardware of the newer models. Alternatively try using Retroarch, using the latest Blastem beta core. Stable Blastem is terribly out of date.

Reactions: anotherthing

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Julayla Beryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I'm still trying to work on how to get the Sega CD rom files to work on Picodrive 3ds. I got both the chd and bin/cue dumps. However, the cue and CHD don't really get seen and there's no music on my copy of Sonic CD when I try to play it. Please help.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey I'm still trying to work on how to get the Sega CD rom files to work on Picodrive 3ds. I got both the chd and bin/cue dumps. However, the cue and CHD don't really get seen and there's no music on my copy of Sonic CD when I try to play it. Please help.

Picodrive for 3DS can't run Sega CD games.

However you can run the Sonic CD decompilation on the 3DS.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picodrive for 3DS can't run Sega CD games.
wdym? It could run Sega CD games, last time I tried.
CHD isn't compatible. Only bin is compatible. As for the music, are they separate from the bin file, or are they part of the bin file?
Because iirc, music worked for me as well.

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have users of this emulator tried to use ips patches "on the fly" with it? I know the other bubble emulators accept patches but this one seems to not detect/not do anything with IPS files (named according to the ROM file).

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the "port" method, but couldn't get it to work. Plus, I don't want a downgraded version. I want to play Sonic CD at its normal quality, and the only way to do that, is to play it on Picodrive, but I can't. I really need someone to coach me through the process, if that's at all possible. I'd like help right now, but if no one is available, I can wait.

Edit: nevermind. I fixed my problem!
Necro but can you elaborate on how you did this? I feel so damn stupid not understanding any of this comp and decomp stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning