[Release] SimpleModDownloader, a mod downloader for your switch

logo

HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.

EDIT : Hello community! I'm very pleased to announce that I've finally finished rewriting SimpleModDownloader from scratch. The app now utilizes a new version of Borealis for the UI, which has allowed me greater flexibility in the UI design. Here's the changelog, which is quite extensive, and I may have surely missed some things
  • Rewrote the app from scratch using Borealis.
  • Transitioned to a new build tool: CMake.
  • Fixed #46 and #39.
  • Added a new page to preview the mod.
  • Implemented detection to check if a mod is compatible with SimpleModDownloader (in reality, I check if there's a romfs folder in the archive, as permitted by the GameBanana API).
  • Added a fix to prevent a crash that occurred when the mod contained special characters.
  • Reduced loading times and implemented multi-threading for improved performance.
Here is some screenshots/video

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

I would like to thank all of you for being able to help me improve the application day by day by reporting bugs and feature requests :)

Last edited by PoloNX,

Type_O_Dev

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.
Screenshots:

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

Edit : v1.0.1 is available ! Check the changelog here : https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/tag/1.0.1
Great Project!

Reactions: PoloNX

Gmanc2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly do I use this? I downloaded it and SimpleModManager, but when I attempt to press ok on a game nothing happens.

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
clicking on view images of a mod thats an audio, crashes the app
Thanks for the report
Post automatically merged:

when i try to get mods for Pokemon Brilliant Diamond, it freezes when searching. only that game
On gamebanana it’s Pokémon Brillant Diamond Shining Perl. I have to see how to fix this issue

starlitalpha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly do I use this? I downloaded it and SimpleModManager, but when I attempt to press ok on a game nothing happens.

What does it say when you pick a mod?

I am connected to WiFi just like you would for a OFW switch. Is there something special I have to do? Like some port I have to forward or unblock some server?
I am having this exact same problem. It shows the list of games, but clicking/pressing ok on them does nothing. If I hover to update app, it complains about there being no internet connection despite the fact I obviously have one or I couldn't have downloaded it from the HB app store to begin with.
Tried in applet and by holding R when launching a game. Tried rebooting switch. Don't know what else I can do.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having this exact same problem. It shows the list of games, but clicking/pressing ok on them does nothing. If I hover to update app, it complains about there being no internet connection despite the fact I obviously have one or I couldn't have downloaded it from the HB app store to begin with.
Tried in applet and by holding R when launching a game. Tried rebooting switch. Don't know what else I can do.
Hmm... interesting... what's the strength of your network? Tried this on my switch and it worked fine.

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
IF someone have devkitpro installed and encounter this issue can you run SimpleModDownloader.nro with nxlink and send me the log file ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Happy quanza lol