Remember the game Drakkhen?

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drakkhen

Although some consider is a meh type of game, to me, as a kid back then, it was such a good game and ahead of its time. I'd love to see a modern remake of this! Who else remembers playing this game on the SNES?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First person dungeon crawlers? Can't say I remember that one but the general concept stuck around for a while, especially in Japan.

Could not move for them on the PSP, vita and such but Switch wise it appears things are lacking.

There is the utterly mediocre Heroes of Monkey Tavern and while we are speaking of mediocre The Lost Child also hit recently.
In September you have Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk set to appear, the original game was Japan only on the Vita a couple of years back and Japan has a PS4 port already. Assuming they don't hose it up it should be better.
Pushing the boat out a bit there is Severed https://gbatemp.net/review/severed.634/

I could push things further and note many other styles of dungeon crawler scratch the itch but I shall refrain beyond that.

If you have an even vaguely capable PC I should probably also point you at the legend of grimrock series. Seriously though if the 16 bit era was the last time you really tangled with this sort of thing you have some catching up to do -- GBA options are a bit limited but DS to current stuff that is not the Switch (and possibly xbone) will provide several options. Much like shmups/shooters it mostly became a Japan dominated style after Might and Magic left the scene but with the return of retro a few years back (see also said legend of grimrock) you got a few others, though as far as Japanese stuff goes assuming you did not follow the wizardry series into its Japanese years then it is not quite as stark a gameplay style difference as going from a modern Final Fantasy to Skyrim or something.

Reactions: morrison22

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drakkhen itself for SNES utilized a first person view while roaming the world outdoors and a third person view for battling and exploring indoors. Quite a nice combo if you will. I haven't quite seen anything like it. However, I do restrict my gaming to specific consoles for periods of time. For now I am restricting my gaming to the Switch and eventually will include the PS4 later this year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9aRPpmidM