Hacking Replace 3DS keyboard without changing region?

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Still trying to swap the keyboards without any success... I want the real japanese keyboard, not romhacked keyboards. There must be something in the code that tells the console what folder to load according to your consoles region. :unsure:

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Still trying to swap the keyboards without any success... I want the real japanese keyboard, not romhacked keyboards. There must be something in the code that tells the console what folder to load according to your consoles region. :unsure:
Yep, and no cfw with language emulation supports doing that for system applets...
...plus the Japanese keyboard is a completely different app from the European one...

Reactions: Halvorsen

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I did for european keyboard cia:

ctrtool --content=system 000400300000D002.cia
3dstool -xvtf cxi system.0000.0000000b --header ncch.header --exh exheader.bin --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin --plain plain.bin
3dstool -xvtf exefs exefs.bin --exefs-dir exefs --header exefs.header
3dstool -xvtf romfs romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs
Edited swkbd_msbt_LZ.bin from romfs/message/EU_English folder and repacked it:
3dstool -cvtf romfs romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs
3dstool -cvtf cxi system.0000.0000000b --header ncch.header --exh exheader.bin --exefs exefs.bin --romfs romfs.bin --plain plain.bin
makerom -f cia -o 000400300000D002.CIA -content system.0000.0000000b:0:0x0b -major 4 -minor 0

After repacking you MUST use CIA Encryptor in Decrypt9, otherwise it won't work.
So I'm following these steps trying to modify my US keyboard app to offer Japanese text and I haven't the slightest clue how one actually edits those files. I had no trouble up to this point (even using Decrypt9WIP which has a B9S version available Do I have to somehow decompile them or something? Or are people doing some sort of hex editing? (But I noticed that the post about modifying the Italian keyboard shows plain text "code" that I presume is copied and pasted in somewhere.) My swkbd_msbt_LZ.bin file is definitely some sort of binary file, not plaintext. I suppose rom hackers already know what to do, but I'm not really a rom hacker, just someone trying to get hiragana to show up as an option (mostly so I can test out a game that refuses to let one continue if they don't enter hiragana or katakana --and won't even let me enter numbers at all nor will it accept symbols.)

To make things worse, I was testing the process and it was unable even to rebuild the CIA at all, failing completely on the final part:
Code:
D:\3DS\KeyboardMod>makerom -f cia -o USKeyboard_modified.cia -content system.0000.0000000b:0:0x0b -major 4 -minor 0
[CIA WARNING] Common Key could not be loaded, CIA will not be encrypted
[CIA ERROR] Option "-major" cannot be applied for cxi.
[RESULT] Failed to build CIA
For now I'm using the ctrtool, 3dstool, and makerom from that HomeMenu mod thread linked to on the first page -- should I be using different versions? Should I just remove the "-major 4" parameter (and possibly "-minor 0" as well) from the command line? Up until this point it seems fine with no obvious errors on the other lines.

Alternately, I sure would be grateful if anyone was willing to provide a US version (preferably the better one where it actually shows Japanese characters on the tenkey page) pre-made. I can find a European version on "that site" but nowhere I look do I see a US version. I don't particularly want to do any special mods or anything different, just get this working for the US keyboard.

Last edited by Nazosan,

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So I'm following these steps trying to modify my US keyboard app to offer Japanese text and I haven't the slightest clue how one actually edits those files. I had no trouble up to this point (even using Decrypt9WIP which has a B9S version available Do I have to somehow decompile them or something? Or are people doing some sort of hex editing? (But I noticed that the post about modifying the Italian keyboard shows plain text "code" that I presume is copied and pasted in somewhere.) My swkbd_msbt_LZ.bin file is definitely some sort of binary file, not plaintext. I suppose rom hackers already know what to do, but I'm not really a rom hacker, just someone trying to get hiragana to show up as an option (mostly so I can test out a game that refuses to let one continue if they don't enter hiragana or katakana --and won't even let me enter numbers at all nor will it accept symbols.)

To make things worse, I was testing the process and it was unable even to rebuild the CIA at all, failing completely on the final part:
Code:
D:\3DS\KeyboardMod>makerom -f cia -o USKeyboard_modified.cia -content system.0000.0000000b:0:0x0b -major 4 -minor 0
[CIA WARNING] Common Key could not be loaded, CIA will not be encrypted
[CIA ERROR] Option "-major" cannot be applied for cxi.
[RESULT] Failed to build CIA
For now I'm using the ctrtool, 3dstool, and makerom from that HomeMenu mod thread linked to on the first page -- should I be using different versions? Should I just remove the "-major 4" parameter (and possibly "-minor 0" as well) from the command line? Up until this point it seems fine with no obvious errors on the other lines.

Alternately, I sure would be grateful if anyone was willing to provide a US version (preferably the better one where it actually shows Japanese characters on the tenkey page) pre-made. I can find a European version on "that site" but nowhere I look do I see a US version. I don't particularly want to do any special mods or anything different, just get this working for the US keyboard.
If you mean this HomeMenu mod thread, the tools there are quite outdated.
While that "-major 4" part isn't really necessary, not setting title version properly may result in update nag.
Actually, keyboard editing isn't much diffferent from HomeMenu modding.

I've adapted pack of tools from that HomeMenu thread (credits to Asia81 for original pack).
Place decrypted "SoftwareKeyboard.cia" in same folder with tools and run Part1.bat.
Find file "ExtractedRomFS\message\<Region>_<Language>\swkbd_msbt_LZ.bin"
It's a regular MSBT with LZ11 compression, so you can just use MSBT Editor Reloaded, that is mentioned in HomeMenu thread, to decompress and edit it.
Edit the file as you wish, save and compress again (rename resulting file if needed).
Run Part2.bat to get "SoftwareKeyboard_Edited.cia", don't forget to encrypt it before installation.

By the way, no need to use Decrypt9WIP for cia decryption/encryption, you can use GodMode9 for that.

Last edited by redunka,

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks. Your update tools appear to work. BTW, I have both GodMode9 and Decrypt9WIP -- well, they're really tiny anyway -- so it wasn't a big deal which one I used.

You wouldn't, by any chance, care to share the modifications you're using for input and keytops would you?

Last edited by Nazosan,

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You wouldn't, by any chance, care to share the modifications you're using for input and keytops would you?
Well, that "mod" from my previous posts was mostly just a proof of concept, I never actually finished it. ¯\(ツ)/¯
It looks like I don't even have those files anymore. That was a European keyboard anyway.
Actually, even though msbt files aren't interchangeable between regions, they do share some strings.
You can just load one of Euro examples in MSBT Editor and copy-paste some of modified data into corresponding strings of your USA msbt file.
P.S. I know I suck at explaining stuff, so let me know if you need more info.

David13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's good a friend has solved my problem :D
IMG_20190420_214543.jpg

Redshin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish for the Japanese keyboard on C99 that it had more smaller symbols, and the Japanese version of -

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto