Hardware Replacement controller shells with the correct internals/moulding?

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any replacement shells that have the proper internal moulding? I've tried a few cheaper ones and every single one of them is missing an internal plastic piece, videos on youtube where they show the inside, are missing it. All the ones where the listings show the inside, are missing it. There are some shells that cost slightly more, but no internal shots to see if it's correct or just cheap chinese shell with a markup.

This is what is missing on all the shells I've tried.

PGjaRP3.jpg

Left is an official shell, right is a 3rd party. So far every 3rd party shell I have tried is missing the part circled in red. It stops the bumper being pushed too far down and flexing too much on that edge, without it the bumper feels mushy and bad and just not quite right and will eventually snap due to flexing way too much. Everything else is correct, so I'm not sure why that part always seems to be missing.

Last edited by Armadillo,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No idea on the third party ones but I am mainly here to say I am picking up perfectly fine, certainly suitable for a shell donation, 360 controllers for £1-2 at charity shops, car boot sales and whatever else these days. That might be a better route if you are not after special colours or something.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No idea on the third party ones but I am mainly here to say I am picking up perfectly fine, certainly suitable for a shell donation, 360 controllers for £1-2 at charity shops, car boot sales and whatever else these days. That might be a better route if you are not after special colours or something.

I've done that in the past, after noticing this issue when I've just needed a replacement shell for whatever reason, but I was after some of the colours that aren't official. All seem to be missing this one piece though.

It's stupid, why copy the controller and copy everything except that one piece :blink:.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never noticed that before, but I find that with a lot of shells, the paint is too thick, so the measurements are off. it's especially noticeable with the battery compartment, when inserting/removing batteries. I have some pliers to remove mine.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've done that in the past, after noticing this issue when I've just needed a replacement shell for whatever reason, but I was after some of the colours that aren't official. All seem to be missing this one piece though.

It's stupid, why copy the controller and copy everything except that one piece :blink:.

I figured it might be designs. If paint, dye and wraps don't work for you then you might be able to wedge something in there with some epoxy

Looking at that picture though then it looks like some different locations and sizes for the ejector pins, and looking at the edges it was either a copy mould or incredibly worn (or both). The pins might be written off as a later batch though. Similarly if it was worn then the missing section is also one of the furthest points from the plastic injection location and if "that'll do" is a viable answer (I think the Chinese equivalent might be "mei banfa") when it is broken off then so much the better.

Also is that hole in the bottom left of the unofficial as the picture sits a different size?

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I figured it might be designs. If paint, dye and wraps don't work for you then you might be able to wedge something in there with some epoxy

Looking at that picture though then it looks like some different locations and sizes for the ejector pins, and looking at the edges it was either a copy mould or incredibly worn (or both). The pins might be written off as a later batch though. Similarly if it was worn then the missing section is also one of the furthest points from the plastic injection location and if "that'll do" is a viable answer (I think the Chinese equivalent might be "mei banfa") when it is broken off then so much the better.

Also is that hole in the bottom left of the unofficial as the picture sits a different size?

The hole in the bottom left is a slightly different size.

The holes on the posts (on the other half of the shell) that the screws go in are also slightly smaller. The original screws do fit, but stress the posts badly, so have to use a smaller screw really.

None of the shells are perfect, but it's mostly minor things, like needing a different screw or having to rub something down to get the right fit. Other than the missing bumper stop, it's nothing that really effects the controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yucky times. :sad: