Hardware replacement PSP 2000 thumbstick

bitbite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I currently have a PSP 2000 I bought cheap from a friend. The thumb-stick was completely worn out (movement was slack and erratic when playing god of war)

I needed to replace the whole unit (electrical/mechanical parts and nubs )

Just wanted to know, if ordering a replacement unit off eBay is a good idea?

- Are certain replacement units better than others?
- does the quality vary?
- anyone else done this before?

Please let me know what you would recommend :)

bitbite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought this and I found it works pretty well. You can get nubs bigger which makes gaems more comfortable to play. Well worth it.

Actually thats, something worth looking at too.

I believe i need to clarify, its the actualy electrical/mechanically input side of the thumbstick thats not working right anymore

bitbite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tested any other game, it could be your iso/cso

Definitely tested out multiple ISO/CSO's.

Im not entire sure the mode of failure (anything from cheeto dust, to spilling a beer on it he thinks), but the Thumbstick just doesn't have the range of motion of feel of a "normal" PSP thumbstick anymore. I'd rather just replace the whole component with something that will add some life to the system again.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get a used PSP 2000 at gamestop for roughly the price of a new game, not saying you should give up on fixing the old one, just don't go to extreme lengths (or costs) when you could just replace it.

bitbite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can get a used PSP 2000 at gamestop for roughly the price of a new game, not saying you should give up on fixing the old one, just don't go to extreme lengths (or costs) when you could just replace it.

A replacement joystick is $5 (nub and mechanical parts) on Ebay. Im not sure of the quality of them tho.

Unit cost me: $20 w/ charger
MSduo adapter w/ MicroSD: $27
New shell: $15

So far I've dropped $62 to referb a PSP2000 to brand new condition (with 32gb) upgrade.

EBgame (gamestop canada) would have charged me $65 + tax for a used one. Deffinately more cost effective to just fix one up so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...